Gain at your feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gain at your feet

This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know of a gain/OD pedal that has a wah-like treadle?

Like a volume pedal, but at heel position it would be at unity gain; at toe position, some max threshhold of gain/overdrive.

I realize people do stuff like this by using their volume knob or volume pedal to clean up from some max gain setting X to X-Y. So this is more like an ergonomics thing. Imagine a tube screamer with the drive knob hooked to an expression pedal, for example.

sigpic

Re: Gain at your feet

Like you said, players use volume to add or reduce gain. I personally see no appeal to a pedal that adds gain as you step in it wah-wah style. Never saw one that did that, so they're can't be much demand. And they make pedals for everything these days.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I guess the idea would be, rather than a binary stomp box to add gain to your signal, it would be graduated. Basically like the preamp gain knob on an amp's dirt channel, but on a foot pedal. I see your point, nonetheless I am surprised no one makes a pedal that does this, considering all the other wacko pedals out there.

I think Morley makes a volume pedal with an adjustable min. volume. I guess if you calibrated your clean sound around that baseline you could accomplish the same thing.

sigpic

Comment

Not too bad of an idea. I'm sure someone could use it effectively.

Comment

Its harder to do in analog world. Would need dual pot things to counter the volume increase with gain increase.

There is the source audio soundblox 2 multiwave distortion pedal that allows expression pedal input to control a particular parameter. One of the ernieball volume might do it too. It can be done on a mfx unit like fractal, boss gt, l6 hd/helix/m(?), etc. Its fun when you want to gradually change the gain level without affecting the volume level.

Comment

Not sure if they are made anymore.

Get the guaranteed best price on Volume & Expression Effects Pedals like the Tone in Progress Third Hand Expression Pedal at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of...
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
              Its harder to do in analog world. Would need dual pot things to counter the volume increase with gain increase.

There is the source audio soundblox 2 multiwave distortion pedal that allows expression pedal input to control a particular parameter. One of the ernieball volume might do it too. It can be done on a mfx unit like fractal, boss gt, l6 hd/helix/m(?), etc. Its fun when you want to gradually change the gain level without affecting the volume level.
              I have an old Digitech RPx 400 that will allow me to assign the pedal to amp gain, but my Line 6 Pod HD400 won't do it. Hank- pointed out the problem spot on... the volume difference was so great between the two that it was unusable. I wouldn't mind a little rise in volume... I'd even welcome it! But this was too much. Of course, I was trying to go from clean to very dirty with it... I'm sure it would be closer if you were trying to go from clean to slightly dirty, or between two levels of dirty (say from 50% to 70%). I was looking for a way to smoothly transition (while still using both hands to play) from clean tones to distortion without the sudden jump that comes along with a pedal button, but this wasn't quite there. I ended up giving up at the time, but I'd still be interested in hearing whether or not you're able to find anything.
              Originally posted by The Commodores?
              "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

The Line6 M13 can take expression pedals, which can be set up to affect gain of dirt pedals. You can set a min and max value, as well as all the other knobs in the pedal, so heel-down could be your rhythm gain with one Drive, Level, and Tone setting, and toe-down have your max Drive, maybe a bit less bass, and a different Level. So in that respect, it's a bit like doubling the potential number of pedals in any patch, especially on the more feature-laden pedals (separate hi/low EQs, etc).
                Originally posted by Brown Note
                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                My Blog

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know of a gain/OD pedal that has a wah-like treadle?
                  Moog Minifoogers all have an expression pedal in. OD is the Drive pedal.
                  MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                  Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

So, this is similar to a pedal that I'm planning to build soon, except that the treadle will control volume and gain is controlled via the volume knob. Volume pedals are very popular, but for reasons mentioned earlier it's difficult to control gain in a linear fashion with a treadle.
                    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Yeah I kind of envisioned it as a volume pedal on steroids, where at some point it really acts like a slightly dirty boost. The chief advantage would be to keep your hands on the strings and off your volume knob, and maybe give some different expression possibilities.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                        The chief advantage would be to keep your hands on the strings and off your volume knob

Some players are constantly adjusting their volume and tone knobs, and it doesn't really slow down their playing. There's plenty of opportunities to do that as they let notes sustain.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Yes but the key there is that those players are a lot better than I am.

sigpic

Comment

I think there should be versions of every pedal with treadle control of their main effects
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                              I guess the idea would be, rather than a binary stomp box to add gain to your signal, it would be graduated. Basically like the preamp gain knob on an amp's dirt channel, but on a foot pedal. I see your point, nonetheless I am surprised no one makes a pedal that does this, considering all the other wacko pedals out there.

I think Morley makes a volume pedal with an adjustable min. volume. I guess if you calibrated your clean sound around that baseline you could accomplish the same thing.
                              yep.
                              You will get different results if you use a passive volume or an active volume. An active volume like the morley will give you a more predictable and even graduation due to its low impedance, where a passive one like the ernie ball will act a lot more like a guitar's volume pot with the subsequent darkening of the tone as you roll back the volume.

It does surprise me that there is nothing on the market tho. However the advantage of using a volume pedal is that you can choose your favourite flavour of overdrive(s) whether it is in pedal format or even the gain channel on your amp.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X