Gain at your feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gain at your feet

I recently modded a pair of Mad Professor Little Green Wonders for a friend of mine, adding an expression jack so he could plug in a standard Boss expression pedal to replace the LGW's volume control. When you unplug the expression pedal, the LGW goes back to normal. The same could be done with a gain control.

I'm about to build myself a Rat in a Cry Baby shell, it will be a volume pedal whether the Rat part is turned on or not.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by MojoMonster View Post
      Moog Minifoogers all have an expression pedal in. OD is the Drive pedal.
      The MOOG is a great pedal I have one. However, the expression pedal controls the filter which works as a notch filter. When you use it with an expression pedal it works like a wah. The Source Audio Classic Distortion Pro allows you to assign the expression pedal to two different presets. You could have two identical distortions one having more gain or with a different EQ curve and sweep between the two of them. Or you could go with two distinct tones like a fuzz and a creamy overdrive and sweep from one to the other. It is a digital unit but side by side with my analog units there is no difference in tone. In most cases the Classic Distortion Pro sounds better. The unit has a built in 7 band EQ and a noise gate and will nail anything from a Big Muff to a TS and even do classic amp overdrives.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
        I recently modded a pair of Mad Professor Little Green Wonders for a friend of mine, adding an expression jack so he could plug in a standard Boss expression pedal to replace the LGW's volume control. When you unplug the expression pedal, the LGW goes back to normal. The same could be done with a gain control.

I'm about to build myself a Rat in a Cry Baby shell, it will be a volume pedal whether the Rat part is turned on or not.
        Wouldn't be too hard for the OP to do something like that but wire up the pedal's pot in place of the gain knob instead of volume.
        Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 10-25-2015, 08:26 PM.
        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
          So, this is similar to a pedal that I'm planning to build soon, except that the treadle will control volume and gain is controlled via the volume knob. Volume pedals are very popular, but for reasons mentioned earlier it's difficult to control gain in a linear fashion with a treadle.
          Couldn't you place a compressor or limiter of some type after the dirt pedal to keep your volume at roughly the same level?

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
            Couldn't you place a compressor or limiter of some type after the dirt pedal to keep your volume at roughly the same level?
            Absolutely you could - and really that's what you'd have to do to make it work.

I guess it would be more accurate to say that a volume neutral gain control is difficult to implement within a distortion pedal, but if you add a compressor/limiter it's possible.

My bad for the misstatement.
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
              Absolutely you could - and really that's what you'd have to do to make it work.

I guess it would be more accurate to say that a volume neutral gain control is difficult to implement within a distortion pedal, but if you add a compressor/limiter it's possible.

My bad for the misstatement.
              Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, if you had a compressor after it with a tuneable threshold. Now if you had it built into the same pedal, that would be cool. So you would have a treadle that would control the gain, a knob to set the gain floor in the treadle heel position, and a knob that would change the compression threshold as the gain increased. Or something like that. The bypass switch would be under the toe like a classic wah pedal.

Now someone needs to build it for me and call it the Hydro-Tone, and give me the first prototype!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                Now someone needs to build it for me and call it the Hydro-Tone, and give me the first prototype!!

If someone goes to all the effort to make one, I suspect that you won't be the one getting pats on the back or the one who gets to name it. Although, if you want to hang around your mailbox waiting for a prototype...
                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                  This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know of a gain/OD pedal that has a wah-like treadle?

Like a volume pedal, but at heel position it would be at unity gain; at toe position, some max threshhold of gain/overdrive.

I realize people do stuff like this by using their volume knob or volume pedal to clean up from some max gain setting X to X-Y. So this is more like an ergonomics thing. Imagine a tube screamer with the drive knob hooked to an expression pedal, for example.
                  Jim Dunlop Way Huge Fat Sandwhich does just that, IMO

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post

Does what? It's a stomp box with an on/off switch, without a treadle.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                      Does what? It's a stomp box with an on/off switch, without a treadle.
                      Oops lol I misunderstood, thought he was asking for a gain pedal that nails the sound of a Wah at different positions. The Way Huge gets some incredible tones between the tone, presence and resonance that sounds like different positions of a Wah pedal. But I misunderstood the OP's question. lol

Comment

https://reverb.com/item/93346-rare-a...stortion-pedal
                        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Awesome find!

Comment

Whoa! That's cool. Exactly like what I was talking about.

Maybe I can try to find one of these used somewhere. I bet it would be fun to play around with.

sigpic

Comment

Ok I found one used for $40. Let's hope I get $40 worth of entertainment out of it!!

sigpic

Comment

Find a better amp - one that actually cleans up well as you roll back the guitar's volume knob - then hook up a passive volume pedal of choice for foot control.

Comment

Working...
                                X