Gain at your feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gain at your feet

I remember seeing that Akai pedal in a Musicians Friend catalog waaaaaaaaaayyyy back in the '90s. Never actually saw one in person.

I also kick @$$ at Trivial Pursuit.
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
      Find a better amp - one that actually cleans up well as you roll back the guitar's volume knob - then hook up a passive volume pedal of choice for foot control.
      Oh my amps are fine, I have lots of different ones, and I can clean up with my volume knob, etc. This is really just for fun, to play around with - and kind of a curiosity thing more than anything else.

That Akai pedal has mixed reviews. It actually has a 12ax7 in it and tube or diode clipping. Pretty amusing for $40. The name is classic - "Shred O' Matic"

sigpic

Comment

From the reviews, it sounds like it might be worth cracking it open to check for modding possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
          Oh my amps are fine, I have lots of different ones, and I can clean up with my volume knob, etc. This is really just for fun, to play around with - and kind of a curiosity thing more than anything else.

That Akai pedal has mixed reviews. It actually has a 12ax7 in it and tube or diode clipping. Pretty amusing for $40. The name is classic - "Shred O' Matic"
          Dude, for $40 I would say it is worth a shot!

Comment

More specifically, I'd change that drive type switch to a blend between tube & diode...

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
              More specifically, I'd change that drive type switch to a blend between tube & diode...
              I may have misunderstood the online manual, but I think it has a setting which does this. I will find out here shortly...

sigpic

Comment

It looks like an either/or/blend... I'd just get rid of the either/or portion, and make it a full on blend.

Comment

Hmmm. How about something similar (tube + diode) where the tube drive is always on when the pedal is on, and the treadle activates the diode clipping as a variable boost for the tube. You'd have your rhythm crunch and your variable solo boosting in one pedal. Alternatively, if the pedal were made so you could set the amount of drive for both individually, you could go from lightly-broken-up sputtering tube cleans at 0 to pushed tube at 5 and then max tube + diode boost at 10.
                  Originally posted by Brown Note
                  I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                  My Blog

Comment

Wonder why this was discontinued & no one bothered to make a clone of it or improve on it either. Well it looks like fun, cool find.

Comment

Cast-off tech is often up for grabs, especially if Akai dumped it like they did Jackson guitars.
                      Originally posted by Brown Note
                      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                      My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                        Wonder why this was discontinued & no one bothered to make a clone of it or improve on it either. Well it looks like fun, cool find.
                        Might be just something not so useful or it might be awesome! Not everything main stream is the best (cue the Edison vs Tesla debate )

Comment

Check out the GigFX VOD.

Guitars:
                          Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:
                          Peavey MX VTX, Bugera 333x Infinium

Pedals:
                          AMT SS-11B

Comment

Originally posted by emilio View Post
                            Check out the GigFX VOD.

http://www.gig-fx.com/products/vod/
                            That is really cool! But at $149+ I'd say the $40 route is a cool option to try first

Comment

Man,I was brain-farting so hard trying to remember teh Akai unit...

Saw one at a Pawn Shop a good while back,but didn't have the jack...

Seems promising,tho!
                              "Scalloped & Stickered"
                              A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

When I get it in, I will post back and let y'all know how it does. Should be here shortly.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X