Opinions on Blackstar amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Blackstar amps?

Hey guys, I see Blackstar is making several amps that are competitively priced with much of the smaller names in the amp business

Are they good quality?

I'm looking at getting a HT-5RH amplifier as its not too expensive and has plenty of features I would like like a good cab simulator output, headphone ot, their ISF control, and the two channels with a footswitch.

What are yalls thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Re: Opinions on Blackstar amps?

I have an ID 60 head that I love.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
      I have an ID 60 head that I love.
      Well that was fast

Those look super cool btw, too bad 60 watts is about 50 too many. [emoji14]

Comment

I have two Blackstar HT-5's that I absolutely love, and a Blackstar Series One 104EL34 that is just an absolutely amazing amp that I'll put up against just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
          I have two Blackstar HT-5's that I absolutely love, and a Blackstar Series One 104EL34 that is just an absolutely amazing amp that I'll put up against just about anything.
          Prefect! Looks like I have struck gold after all

If things go right I'll be joining the blackstar club it seems

Comment

I have a ht1 combo. I think its awesome. It really loves multi effects pedals too which is great for such a small unit.

Comment

They're like the Honda of tube amps. They're absolutely good enough and you're kind of a snob if you buy anything nicer.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Well they used to make them in Korea.
                Now they did what everybody else is doing, went to China and cranked the price up and the quality down!

Everybody who has a made in Korea amp, stick to it.

The Artisan series was great, now....well I will never get this part of any business.

Comment

I have played a bunch and owned two. like their high end series one amps and their ID modeller series. Not a fan of their HT/Venue amps at all. I hated my HT1, returned it a couple.days after I bought it.

I picked up an ID CORE as a practice amp a couple months ago. Amp tones are good for a 100 dollar amp...... effects useless/pita unless you were plugged into the editor. My son has started playing so I gave it to him. I will pick up a marshall mg 15 or something instead.

Quality seems.good.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I had an HT5 that I just traded and owned it for 3 years, it was nantastic little amp.. I upgraded the preamp tube to a Tung Sol gold pin and it made the amp amazing for the price.
                    I actually regret selling it and would like to get another one.. It never left the house and I never had any issues with it..
                    I upgraded to an EVH 5150iii combo is the only reason I sold it.. I say go for it! Good tube tone for not a lot of cash..
                    Upgrade the preamp tube right away. The stock one is kind fizzy and grainy, $15 on Ebay and 20 minutes of work and it changes the amp and fixes that issue.
                    There are many topics online about tube upgrades for HT5s depending on what you are looking for..

Comment

I've owned an HT20H now for several years. It was a bit higher gain (on the 'drive' channel) than I prefer, but a 5751 in V1 'fixed' that. It had one problem of a cold solder joint causing volume fluctuation and going silent. That was fixed under warranty, and now all is well. I own a number of tube amps, and the Blackstar is very decent, although I tend to be a Fender tone person. I used to get on the B* forum when I first bought the amp, and the highest percentage of the people loved them. Some went on rants that they were deceived by B* because the OD/Distortion was, in part, attained by diode clipping, and the ranters interpreted the B* marketing description as it being an 'all tube amp'. Same people have no aversion to putting solid state pedals in their signal chain.....go figure!!! If it sounds good and is reliable, it IS good. B* IS IMO.

Comment

I have an HT Studio 20 combo and I absolutely love it.

I did have some issues at the beginning. Either the speaker wasn't broken in or something wasn't making contact, as it sounded VERY dark. I couldn't get any presence out of it in any setting. That has worked itself out and it simply is a beautiful amp. Cleanse are spectacular, Distortion is really great. Best part about it, with the ISF knob, you can find MANY different combinations of tones and stay in the same ballpark. Need a high gain British sound, got it. Need a high gain American sound, got it too. Need something bluesy, got that too.
                        -Greg

Guitars:
                        2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                        2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                        2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                        Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                          I have a ht1 combo. I think its awesome. It really loves multi effects pedals too which is great for such a small unit.
                          Great, so it should take pedals well as well then.
                          Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                          They're like the Honda of tube amps. They're absolutely good enough and you're kind of a snob if you buy anything nicer.
                          Haha, personally iI think it's really more snobbery when you think you need more than a Honda and make honda drivers feel bad about their car. [emoji14] I get your meaning.
                          Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                          Well they used to make them in Korea.
                          Now they did what everybody else is doing, went to China and cranked the price up and the quality down!

Everybody who has a made in Korea amp, stick to it.

The Artisan series was great, now....well I will never get this part of any business.
                          When did they switch over? I have heard people liking the newer HT5R better than the original HT5, as they balenced the gain knob, added a clean tone knob, and a decent reverb.
                          Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                          I have played a bunch and owned two. like their high end series one amps and their ID modeller series. Not a fan of their HT/Venue amps at all. I hated my HT1, returned it a couple.days after I bought it.

I picked up an ID CORE as a practice amp a couple months ago. Amp tones are good for a 100 dollar amp...... effects useless/pita unless you were plugged into the editor. My son has started playing so I gave it to him. I will pick up a marshall mg 15 or something instead.

Quality seems.good.
                          I'm sure it's hard to go from a $1000 amp to a $400. [emoji14]

I'm personally kind sick of my current modeling amp. It's fun to mess with, it's just so basic sounding when it comes to effects, and it doesnt play well with external effects.

Comment

New quick question, is there a way you can run the amp with headphones and no cabnet?

The head is $100 cheaper than the combo, and i would be using the headphone out most of the time anyway so I thought of maybe getting the head and waiting a bit on a cabnet.

Is that ok? I heard something about it working on standby?

Comment

Originally posted by TRex View Post
                              New quick question, is there a way you can run the amp with headphones and no cabnet?
                              Yes. From the handbook, pages 9&10:
                              14. Standby
                              This switch enables the operation of the power amp stage and speaker output.
                              Always turn this on at least 30 seconds after the Power switch (15). For silent
                              recording or practise this switch should be put in the standby position. This will
                              disable the power stage, but the emulated output will continue to work.
                              3. Speaker Emulated Output & Headphones
                              This output emulates the tonal characteristics of a guitar speaker cabinet and
                              provides a natural valve overdrive tone for connection to a recording device or mixing
                              desk, and for use with headphones. To make full use of the stereo reverb, use a
                              stereo jack to two mono jacks splitter lead to feed two channels of the recording
                              device or mixer (see diagram below). The output will also function into a mono guitar
                              type lead. Always use a good quality screened lead.
                              Last edited by IM4Tone; 11-23-2015, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X