• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinions on Blackstar amps?

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
    Yes. From the handbook, page 10:
    3. Speaker Emulated Output & Headphones
    This output emulates the tonal characteristics of a guitar speaker cabinet and
    provides a natural valve overdrive tone for connection to a recording device or mixing
    desk, and for use with headphones. To make full use of the stereo reverb, use a
    stereo jack to two mono jacks splitter lead to feed two channels of the recording
    device or mixer (see diagram below). The output will also function into a mono guitar
    type lead. Always use a good quality screened lead.
    So the line out with cab simulator is completely fine on its own? It can take the load?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TRex View Post
      So the line out with cab simulator is completely fine on its own? It can take the load?

Yes, that is one of the things that made the HT5 so cool, it actually has a nice cab sim out..

Comment

I would also like to add that the HT-5 sounds killer through a Marshall 1960 4x12 cabinet.

Comment

Oh yeah true that my ht1 is incredible through my 5150 cab.

Comment

I owned both the 1st generation HT5 combo made in Korea and the newer 12" combo from China. The 10" sounded great for hard rock and some early metal, bit it was a little bitey due to the speaker only being 10". The 12" version sounds okay IF (and I can't stress this enough) you have a medium to high output pickup running through it. I used a LP with a 57n/BB3b and it sounded weak and a bit muffled. My ESP Eclipse with JB/59 sounded a lot better through it.

At this point, I don't really miss either amp. In fact, I miss the ESP more than the amps. There's a new series from Blackstar coming out soon, with 6L6's. They look promising.

Comment

I sold my first gen HT-5. The amp was well-made and had many niceties. It just was not suited to my playing style and guitars. If you are hard rock or heavier type player, I highly recommend the HT-5.

Comment

I've been playing a HT-5 head for the past 6 years and absolutely love it. I upgraded to the gold pin 12AX7 and it made a noticeable difference. I play it through a 1x12" cab with Vintage 30 speaker, and use it with my band in rehearsal and on stage. Brilliant tone, and it keeps up with my drummer, who is a bit of a heavy hitter too. I use only the dirty channel and control the clean and dirt tones through my guitar's volume control.
                http://www.lonephantom.com
                http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Originally posted by HTT View Post
                  I sold my first gen HT-5. The amp was well-made and had many niceties. It just was not suited to my playing style and guitars. If you are hard rock or heavier type player, I highly recommend the HT-5.
                  I play some decently gainy classic rock and such. Do you think it's fine for that kind of stuff?

I actually heard the clean channel is quite good for a Blackstar amp.

Originally posted by LonePhantom View Post
                  I've been playing a HT-5 head for the past 6 years and absolutely love it. I upgraded to the gold pin 12AX7 and it made a noticeable difference. I play it through a 1x12" cab with Vintage 30 speaker, and use it with my band in rehearsal and on stage. Brilliant tone, and it keeps up with my drummer, who is a bit of a heavy hitter too. I use only the dirty channel and control the clean and dirt tones through my guitar's volume control.
                  Great to hear

The only thing about it I'm not sure about quality wise is the speaker. Iirc it wasn't a brand I knew of.

Comment

The Ht-5 can do Sabbath, Ozzy, Deep Purple, etc. quite well. Is that what you were thinking?

Comment

Its kinda funny. This thread and over the years in the forum, most of the experience with Blackstar has been the small amps. Ive played the little HT5 in GC and liked it. Id really like to know more about the big amps. Jolly gives his thumbs up and I know alot of the bigger name players are using them. But I take endorsements with a grain of sodium...
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by HTT View Post
                        The Ht-5 can do Sabbath, Ozzy, Deep Purple, etc. quite well. Is that what you were thinking?
                        Maybe a bit less gain than sabbath, but still around the crunch zone.

Comment

I'd take Jolly's comments with a shot of bourbon, in congratulations as in when what he suggests works out for you. The man knows his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            I'd take Jolly's comments with a shot of bourbon, in congratulations as in when what he suggests works out for you. The man knows his stuff.
                            Marry him if he is that good. haha.

Comment

Here's something I recorded a couple of years ago just farting around. It's the Blackstar HT-5 with the 10 inch speaker. The guitar is a Gibson Les Paul with a Custom 5/Jazz.

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Comment

Maybe a bit less gain than sabbath, but still around the crunch zone.
                                I think the HT-5 generation 1 combo will serve you pretty well to very well, then.

Comment

Working...
                                X