Retro Valves? Anyone tried them??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro Valves? Anyone tried them??

Look pretty cool and Jet City is running a sale on them.. Supposed to be a replacement for 12AX7s. Analog, supposed to be safe and perform similarly than tubes..??

Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Retro Valves? Anyone tried them??

Well, those certainly look interesting. First that I've heard of them.

Comment

They're so cheap that I might grab some just to keep as backups in case I have a tube die at a gig. They can bang around in a bag or case and not shatter like glass.
      Nope...

Comment

I've tried the amber ones in a JC50 head that I had done a few mods to. I liked them in the later positions and in the PI, actually great for the PI position since it's main job is to split the signal for the power tubes. I really didn't care for them as much in the V1 and V2 positions, the amp seemed to lose some sustain with them, especially in V1. FTR, I really wanted to like them, I like the idea of a SS tube replacement, less heat and will last indefinitely, I'm definitely not anti-SS, but I could tell a difference in the early stages. The reds with a little more gain might have done the trick.

For the prices they are selling them for ($5 each or $12 for a 3 pack) I would definitely recommend picking some up and if nothing else, they will make great emergency gig replacements to keep in your gig bag!

Anyway, that's my <$0.02, YMMV, etc...

*EDIT* For that price, I just went and ordered a couple of reds and an amber to try in my AMT SS-11 preamp that is my main "amp" now, including shipping it was still less than one of the Tung Sol 12AX7s that is currently in it...
        Last edited by devastone; 11-24-2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Well, even with the exchange rate they were a good deal to Canada now so I've got a few coming my way. too bad the triple packs were sold out for the amber and reds... I got a cocktail (1 of each) plus 1 red and 1 amber. I hope they sound good but, as has been said, if they're solid enough to throw around a bit they'll make a good back-up plan... unless they sound like utter garbage but I'll hear them when they get here. I'll keep you guys posted.

Comment

I would agree with the above(s).
            I am a complete Tube Snob, but also a realist. All that matters is what your ears like and your Fingers/Brain feels and are happy with.
            If that turns out to be a Two Rock...fine. If it is a used 350 dollar Hot Rod Dlx with Retro plug-ins.....just as good.
            Experiment to find what Suits You, and go with that.!
            good luck
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

yeah, I may pick some up for the price. try em and at least keep em for a pinch.. I Just wanted to make sure that no one has had an amp get torn up by them or anything. Even tho they claim to be perfectly safe. And since they are on sale so cheap, thought Id share the info.
              Last edited by BloodRose; 11-25-2015, 11:44 AM.
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Very nice of you, I never would've found out if you hadn't posted about it...

Comment

Ordered a dozen reds. Wish they would have had the three packs so I could have saved a few more bucks.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

there are a few reviews about them here on the forum

Comment

Wow, thank you for posting about this and introducing me to these! They look cool as s**t! I ordered two of the cocktail 3-packs, I'll give them a whirl and report back.
                      "From forest caves and azure skies,
                      we crashed upon this earth."

Comment

ive always thought that saving up all that money to buy a sexy tube amp and then pull out the tubes and turn it in to a solid state amp was a lame idea.
                        However, 5 bucks apiece for something that will get you through a gig in an emergency....yeah thats cool.
                        Unfortunately for me, including shipping to Aus, i can buy two real 12ax7s for the price of 3 of these, so I guess ill go back to being a tube snob (and yeah...ive not tried these ss plugins so I'm not just a snob, but I'm an uneducated tube snob too! lol)
                        Last edited by Chickenwings; 11-26-2015, 06:49 AM.
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I fear change.. I'm gonna wait until y'all tell me they're awesome before I spend my money.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                            ive always thought that saving up all that money to buy a sexy tube amp and then pull out the tubes and turn it in to a solid state amp was a lame idea.
                            I understand the sentiment (and hate to be that guy) but you do realize that there are other différences between a tube amp and a solid-state amp besides having transistors instead of tubes right? Having transistors as a base for an amp means a completely different architecture circuit-Wise, which changes the tone and feel, even moreso than just having transistors in the place of tubes.

As I said, I do understand the sentiment and have no delusion that these will sound as good as real 12ax7s, however, just saying that putting one (or a few) of these in an amplifier makes said amp a SS amp and the same as a cheapo crate/peavey/rogue/whatever is still completely wrong.

Comment

I'm wondering if they are being discontinued and they are blowing them out, that's about 1/3 of the original price IIRC. They are definitely good to have on hand for emergencies, although, emergency usually = bad power tube, but still....

Comment

Working...
                              X