X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Retro Valves? Anyone tried them??

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
    Any possibility of clippage?
    Depends on time I am really under the gun. I have to do some clips for the Decibel 11 Dirt Clod and the Fralin Metal Pickups for a review. Of course my DAW is being a pain. If I can get everything working nicely I might be able to do it this weekend.

Comment

I got a package in the mail a few days ago. three reds and three yellow fellows.. my pv classic 30 has been a turd lately. think the preamp tubes need replaced, so it will be my test mule.. Been too busy to play with it tho.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Isn't this nice. I plugged it in no sound. Put it on bypass and I get sound. Opened the Chandler pulled the RetroValve and replaced it with a real tube, the Chandler sounds great. Pulled the real tube put the RetroValve back in and nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          Isn't this nice. I plugged it in no sound. Put it on bypass and I get sound. Opened the Chandler pulled the RetroValve and replaced it with a real tube, the Chandler sounds great. Pulled the real tube put the RetroValve back in and nothing.
          Statistical defect?

Does it work in an amp?
          Nope...

Comment

Statistical defect?

Does it work in an amp?
            I am going to try it in the Excelsior this weekend.

Comment

Excelsior

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Got a fast a turnaround email from 333. They say that pedals/mics dont have enough power to push the RetroValve, it needs a 100v source. That is fine but my Chandler is 100v. Like I said I am going to try it with the Fender. It already has nice breakup it will be cool to see if the RetroValve can give it a bump in gain.

Comment

Got a fast a turnaround email from 333. They say that pedals/mics dont have enough power to push the RetroValve, it needs a 100v source. That is fine but my Chandler is 100v. Like I said I am going to try it with the Fender. It already has nice breakup it will be cool to see if the RetroValve can give it a bump in gain.
                  So it was designed for proper circuits, not starved-plate designs.
                  Nope...

Comment

So it was designed for proper circuits, not starved-plate designs.
                    That is my understanding. So if you look on the package it says they work with MOST amps. I am assuming the RetroValve would not work in a ValveState or any other similar amp where the tube is used to drive the effect of overdrive vs a traditional tube preamp. In the case of the Chandler the tube is simply replacing the diode not being truly overdriven.

Comment

Probably won't work in the Radial pedals either, they use a starved tube design so they don't have high voltages. Going to try them in my AMT preamp in the next day or so, it does have high voltages so they should work fine, be interesting to see how they sound in it.

Comment

Sounds like maybe some of you guys know.......
                        So what are these things.....not typical for SS Devices to require high voltage, but maybe it is designed to see 200 VDC and then step that down accordingly.?
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

I don't know what's inside them, probably a FET based circuit, but yeah, that would be my guess, it's probably expecting a high B+ voltage and if it's not there, it doesn't have anything to work with.

Comment

Anyone can look up what's inside them, the patent is right here:

http://www.google.com/patents/US7408401
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

AS of yesterday they were all sold out except for the blue ones... might get back in stock though.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
                                AS of yesterday they were all sold out except for the blue ones... might get back in stock though.
                                Jet City should send BloodRose a tee shirt for starting this thread. He is their number on sales guy this month.

Comment

Working...
                                X