Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get valve distortion out of a Mesa Royal Atlantic

Hello everybody,

I've been trying to get a good thunderous valve distortion out of my Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic amp since I bought it, but I haven't been able to achieve it yet. It gets a nice dirty sound and a good distortion tone, but it doesn't break through my band's wall of sound as it should do. Instead, it gets blunt and gets often not noticed when riffing at a lower volume.

When showing it to a friend that came to my rehearsal room, he told me that I wasn't playing with the valve distortion, but with just the distortion channel. I want to overdrive the valves to get that thunderous sound of a valve distortion, not to get blunt. Any help?

Re: Get valve distortion out of a Mesa Royal Atlantic

Turn down the gain and turn up the master volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
      Turn down the gain and turn up the master volume.
      That about sums it up.

Also, turn the mids up, bring the bass down, and if your guitar sounds dull/blunt then increase the presence. If your band is a thick wall of sound there's no way a thick guitar tone is going to cut through on the low end, focus on the midrange. A well dialled in amp can sound thin, bright and boxy on it's own, but that sound will fit like a glove in a dense mix.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Are you using the attenuators? Combo or head? What tubes are you using?

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I find that very surprising. Channel 3 on hi dialed in right should have no problem being heard.

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
          A well dialled in amp can sound thin, bright and boxy on it's own, but that sound will fit like a glove in a dense mix.
          People keep saying that but the electric guitar's purpose in a (assuming a guitar driven) dense mix and how it should sound separated from that is something you get used to and adapt to pretty easily if you know what you're doing. I don't need to have the band with me to know where the frequencies should be (particularly bass, treble and presence) to work properly in context. Turning the bass way up (to emulate the bass guitar underneath no doubt), scooping the mids out and being oversaturated with gain is something you grow out of pretty quickly.
          Last edited by El Dunco; 11-30-2015, 06:56 AM.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
            Turning the bass way up (to emulate the bass guitar underneath no doubt), scooping the mids out and being oversaturated with gain is something you grow out of pretty quickly.
            Some people do, others keep doing it for 30 more years

Comment

People keep saying that but the electric guitar's purpose in a (assuming a guitar driven) dense mix and how it should sound separated from that is something you get used to and adapt to pretty easily if you know what you're doing. I don't need to have the band with me to know where the frequencies should be (particularly bass, treble and presence) to work properly in context. Turning the bass way up (to emulate the bass guitar underneath no doubt), scooping the mids out and being oversaturated with gain is something you grow out of pretty quickly.
              There are a lot of people who insist on a scooped midrange and then complain that their tone is not punchy enough nor cutting through the mix. It's truly a mental disorder known as IwannabelikeDimebagphrenia. So sad that this easily treatable condition claims so many tones.
              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                There are a lot of people who insist on a scooped midrange and then complain that their tone is not punchy enough nor cutting through the mix. It's truly a mental disorder known as IwannabelikeDimebagphrenia. So sad that this easily treatable condition claims so many tones.
                /facepalm
                /facepalm again
                /headdesk
                /smack
                /smack
                /smack
                /smack
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Are you using el34s or 6L6s?
                  What speaker(s) are you using?
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Turn your boss heavy metal pedal up to gain on full, mids scooped all the way. Use your distortion channel, preferably a good amp like an acoustic 75 watt solid state combo amp with 10" speaker, with distortion all the way up. Scoop the mids out all the way. Turn up the treble all the way and the bass all the way. Turn on the wah for leads and your set. Apply moist towels to bleeding ears and they should develop a healthy layer of scar tissue in a few days. Sure to cut through a mix in deepest of drum and bass assaults.

Good luck
                    Jackson Soloist/EMG 81,85
                    Ibanez Artist/GL Screamin Demon BR, Ibanez N
                    Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul/EMG 81,85

Mostly Metal, Mostly Heavy, 35 years

Comment

Some_dude has it pegged...what sounds best in a band mix usually won't sound best by itself. Get that midrange up and make the overall tone brighter than you would when listening to the guitar alone. My Music Man HD-150 absolutely excels at this trick. It is clearly heard no matter how low I have to play it.
                      Last edited by guitfiddle; 12-01-2015, 10:29 PM.
                      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                        what sounds best in a band mix usually won't sound best by itself.
                        Unless you train yourself to identify the kind of tone that will work best in a band mix, then it does sound pretty good. I like my tone even if I'm just playing and I don't have to wildly readjust it to record or play shows with. There are songs where the guitar will have a spot to play by itself or start the song with a riff and it doesn't sound bad without the other instruments. You just need to make sure you're not compensating for the other instruments with your settings. People might be tempted to add enough bass to make it sound like there's a bass player present and enough treble to add the grind normally reserved for cymbals.

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                          A well dialled in amp can sound thin, bright and boxy on it's own, but that sound will fit like a glove in a dense mix.
                          Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                          Some_dude has it pegged...what sounds best in a band mix usually won't sound best by itself. Get that midrange up and make the overall tone brighter than you would when listening to the guitar alone. My Music Man HD-150 absolutely excels at this trick. It is clearly heard no matter how low I have to play it.
                          Absolutely this! What you hear by yourself does not always fit in with the entire band.

Comment

I don't need to have the band with me to know where the frequencies should be (particularly bass, treble and presence) to work properly in context. Turning the bass way up (to emulate the bass guitar underneath no doubt), scooping the mids out and being oversaturated with gain is something you grow out of pretty quickly.
                            I agree with MOST of what you said here. Yes, those of us with experience know not to go in with the scooped mids, bass on 10 etc (for metal anyway), you know, the BROAD EQ outlook. But you really don't know until you get inside a room with people and hear what they are coming at you with. Tweaks will be required.

When its the band you've been playing with for awhile sure, but as someone who fills in frequently, its impossible to know beforehand, you still need to tweak once your there. And as a fill-in, its your job to fit in with what they have, not to tell the two guitarists to change their tone because you know your bass tone will work in this situation. (I fill in alot on bass, ok?)

You just need to make sure you're not compensating for the other instruments with your settings. People might be tempted to add enough bass to make it sound like there's a bass player present and enough treble to add the grind normally reserved for cymbals.
                            Could not agree more, know your place so to speak. This is a huge problem with guitar oriented bass players.

Also, Manu - What genre are you playing?
                            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                              But you really don't know until you get inside a room with people and hear what they are coming at you with. Tweaks will be required.
                              I know that. Of course everyone will fine tune their sound and not just assume that everything is working together. All I meant was that the tones I like to hear aren't wildly different from tones that work with the band.

Comment

Working...
                              X