banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall 2203 JCM800 Kerry King sig model - how versatile is it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 2203 JCM800 Kerry King sig model - how versatile is it ?

Never tested one . . . so no hands on experience if it !

I am actually looking for a Vintage Modern, but they are uber hard to find on this side of the world

So, a KK sig 800 came up (used) at a VERY decent price.
    Saying that, i do not want to buy it, and get stuck with a one-trick-pony.

Anyone have any experience with the KK 800 ?

Any info very welcome.

Thank to all
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Marshall 2203 JCM800 Kerry King sig model - how versatile is it ?

Had one for about 3 years. Just sold it last month for $1000.

I really did not like it's high gain sound. The mids were cold and offending, and the beast mode boost added more of them, along with a very SS sounding element to the gain.

A/Bing it with my JVM210H really exemplified and highlighted all those things.
    I don't miss the amp at all.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
      Had one for about 3 years. Just sold it last month for $1000.

I really did not like it's high gain sound. The mids were cold and offending, and the beast mode boost added more of them, along with a very SS sounding element to the gain.

A/Bing it with my JVM210H really exemplified and highlighted all those things.
      I don't miss the amp at all.

Thank you very much for shearing your experiences, living with the amp.

Much appreciated.
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Its a JCM800...it's a one trick pony no matter how you slice it. The VM is much more versatile, if thats what you want, hold out for one.

And this is coming from a proud owner of 2 800's.
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I've also got a 2203KK. Like all 800s, it's about getting a little more preamp gain at high volume, not maxing the preamp and keeping the master low. But it does the JCM800 thing well IMO. I used the Beast mode a few times but generally use it like a stock 800. (It was cheaper at the time than 800 RIs and vintage 800s in good condition)
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've never played one, and I've never really checked into one either. I remember seeing an interview where he said it has his external EQ settings built in. I'm not sure if you can switch this feature on or off.

Comment

Originally posted by JollyRoger523 View Post
              I've never played one, and I've never really checked into one either. I remember seeing an interview where he said it has his external EQ settings built in. I'm not sure if you can switch this feature on or off.
              That's "The Beast" mode, which is modeled after his famed 800 "The Beast". When engaged the assault knob dials in the intensity of the EQ boost and the gate it well...a gate.

Google man, GOOGLE.
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

The onboard gate was my favorite feature. Probably the best gate I've ever used.
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Working...
                X