banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss CE-2 Chorus: Is there a "better" chorus out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss CE-2 Chorus: Is there a "better" chorus out there?

Originally posted by jrbowen81 View Post
    So as far as I'm aware, it sounds good clean. It sounds like maybe it's a bit "too much" on distorted sounds though.
    I use my CE-2 in front of pretty much everything in the board. Before OD pedals even, and definitely NOT in the loop.
    Only way to make it sound "not too much" with distorted sounds, in my experience. Placed any forward and it sounds too hi-fi and correct and cheesy with gain.

Hope it helps!
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
      I use my CE-2 in front of pretty much everything in the board. Before OD pedals even, and definitely NOT in the loop.
      Only way to make it sound "not too much" with distorted sounds, in my experience. Placed any forward and it sounds too hi-fi and correct and cheesy with gain.

Hope it helps!
      Hmmm... I've always had mine in the loop. I guess I just put it there and never looked back. Lol... May need to experiment with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yowza!

Comment

I like the small clone better myself, but the CE-2 is quite a nice chorus.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Better? CE1, IMO.

But the 2 is no slouch.

I use a MXR micro chorus for now, but I would pick a retrosonic (CE1 clone) or malleko (ce2 clone) if $ was not an issue.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
            Better? CE1, IMO.

But the 2 is no slouch.

I use a MXR micro chorus for now, but I would pick a retrosonic (CE1 clone) or malleko (ce2 clone) if $ was not an issue.
            I would definitely like to play through a CE-1 clone. I bet it would be pretty awesome to have a compact version of that. I heard Retrosonic makes some killer stuff anyway.

Yowza!

Comment

Originally posted by jrbowen81 View Post
              Hmmm... I've always had mine in the loop. I guess I just put it there and never looked back. Lol... May need to experiment with it.

Post distortion/in the loop keeps the chorusing clearer... so if you're playing distorted lead you get two leads... dry and one with the slight detune. Depending on settings it'll produce that instant 80s lead people like to complain about, but it doesn't need to be that way. Cobain did it this way too and you don't hear many saying he had an '80s cheesy lead tone, but it was essential to the feedback sound he produced.

Before distortion makes the chorusing dirtier. Paticularily useful with higher speeds where the movement can make arpeggios pop out of a mix.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                Post distortion/in the loop keeps the chorusing clearer... so if you're playing distorted lead you get two leads... dry and one with the slight detune. Depending on settings it'll produce that instant 80s lead people like to complain about, but it doesn't need to be that way. Cobain did it this way too and you don't hear many saying he had an '80s cheesy lead tone, but it was essential to the feedback sound he produced.

Before distortion makes the chorusing dirtier. Paticularily useful with higher speeds where the movement can make arpeggios pop out of a mix.
                Interesting!

Yowza!

Comment

I'm on my third or fourth chorus pedal. Started with a CE-2 back in the late 80's (wish I'd kept it). Went through a handful of multi-effects (GSP-21 Pro and Legend as well as RP-7). Then, back to pedals with a VS H2O version 2, but didn't care for the delay before the chorus. I have been using a GLABs Tidy Chorus for about a year now and it's been beautiful. By far, the chorus I've been looking for since I gave up the CE-2. It's a little hard to find (bought the last one Willcutt Guitars had in stock) and a tad pricey @ $250, but worth it to me.

Comment

So... I got home from work today and started messing around with putting my CE-2 in different places on my board. Tried it in front of everything except the wah, after overdrive and clean boost, and different places in the loop. Funniest thing happened... It's sounding better now, but it's back in the loop! However, instead of being after my DD-6 and DD-20, I moved my Maxon PT999 into the loop as well, placing it and both delays AFTER the chorus. Not sure why it seems to sound better there, but it does.

Yowza!

Comment

Originally posted by LLL
                      Better? I've gotta go with this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68626[/ATTACH]

Turn off the LFO modulation and you've got a doubler.

Rockman Stereo Chorus
                      Ohhhh. Rockman. Of course! If only Scholz had designed a pedal size one (besides the headphone amp. Lol)!!!

Yowza!

Comment

I don't think I've ever heard a CE-1, but my Boss CH-1 is one of the creamiest, silkiest chorus's I've ever heard. I also have an old DOD FX65 that has its moments too.

Comment

The CE-1 is my all time favourite, but it's just too bulky to tour with and it has a few impedance issues when it comes to using it with guitar. I had a CE-2 in the 80s and there's really not much comparison, the CE-1 is far more open and transparent, whereas I find the CE-2 to be a very congested chorus that takes over the whole sound of the instrument. I still have a couple of Boss DC-2 Dimension Cs in the closet and they're a nice alternative, but I settled many years ago on the Retro-Sonic Chorus, which has been on my board ever since. I was fortunate to get one before the good Panasonic chips ran out. It has the advantage of also having the wonderful Vibrato side of the original CE-1, which is an excellent fast Leslie effect in itself.

Here's a video comparison of my CE-1 and the Retro-Sonic that I did many years ago. You can hear that the CE-1 has a bit more sparkle to it, but in my conversations with Tim Larwill from Retro-Sonic, we learned that his CE-1, from which he derived his design, was much darker than mine, which explains his voicing for the Retro-Sonic.

Last edited by wahwah; 12-01-2015, 10:23 AM.
                          Highway Star
                          Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                          Mistreated
                          Cause We Ended As Lovers
                          Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
                          Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

I am not a very big fan of chorus, but really like the tape-style, zero-through chorus and flange on the strymon DECO.
                            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
                              The CE-1 is my all time favourite, but it's just too bulky to tour with and it has a few impedance issues when it comes to using it with guitar. I had a CE-2 in the 80s and there's really not much comparison, the CE-1 is far more open and transparent, whereas I find the CE-2 to be a very congested chorus that takes over the whole sound of the instrument. I still have a couple of Boss DC-2 Dimension Cs in the closet and they're a nice alternative, but I settled many years ago on the Retro-Sonic Chorus, which has been on my board ever since. I was fortunate to get one before the good Panasonic chips ran out. It has the advantage of also having the wonderful Vibrato side of the original CE-1, which is an excellent fast Leslie effect in itself.

Here's a video comparison of my CE-1 and the Retro-Sonic that I did many years ago. You can hear that the CE-1 has a bit more sparkle to it, but in my conversations with Tim Larwill from Retro-Sonic, we learned that his CE-1, from which he derived his design, was much darker than mine, which explains his voicing for the Retro-Sonic.

For some reason, your video link is showing an invalid URL.

Yowza!

Comment

Maybe it is the invalidPhone works just fine here.

Comment

Working...
                                X