Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp suggestions??

Hi guys!

I'm pretty knew to the forum here. I've been looking for a new amp as I started playing a few months ago and I've decided it's time to step up from the tiny fender 15g practice amp I have. I've been going back and forth between the fender champion 100 2x12 or the fender mustang IV. I've read a ton of reviews but I really want some input. Which of those would be a better bet? Is there something around that price range that would suit me better? Also I am in need of a guitsr upgrade as well but from what I understand an amp takes priority over that. I'm currently playing a fender squire strat with the stock humbucker in the bridge position.

I play a lot of pop punk/metal core style music and I've just started playing rhythm in a band.

It may not matter but I do have musical and guitar experience! I'm just new to electric!

Re: Amp suggestions??

In my opinion, you'd do best to hold out and save up enough to buy a nice tube amp. Neither of those amps you mentioned will get you where you need for what you play, and if you scour the used market, you can find some great amps from not a lot of money.

Comment

It looked like the Mustang amps were about $500. I would go with a Jet City 50 watt head and the best cabinet that you can afford, used stuff on craigslist may be your best bet there. That will give you as much amp as you will ever need and you can always add a better cabinet or speakers later.

Comment

I'd go with the Mustang IV in your situation. Even if you soon begin to play in a band, it will carry you through. If later you get very serious, or have the cash to spare, then search out a quality tube amp that will do what's needed at that time.

Tube snobs will disagree with this, but it is the practical thing to do (spoken by one who has a preference for my tube amps).

Comment

I'd also check out,
          -Vox vt80+ or vt120+
          -Bugera V55
          -Peavey Valve King

My most used rig is a zoom g3 multi-effect/modeling pedal straight into my PA...
          Last edited by the toad; 12-01-2015, 01:19 PM.

Comment

How much is your budget? I'd suggest you give Craigslist a look for a Fender Blues Jr. or Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Blues Deluxe...can get them for a decent price and will be a KILLER amp!

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
              I'd go with the Mustang IV in your situation. Even if you soon begin to play in a band, it will carry you through. If later you get very serious, or have the cash to spare, then search out a quality tube amp that will do what's needed at that time.

Tube snobs will disagree with this, but it is the practical thing to do (spoken by one who has a preference for my tube amps).
              The Mustang amps are pretty cool but it doesn't seem like the right fit to me in this case. If he were talking about a wider variety of music or styles that called for tons of effects, I would agree with you. It's not the worst choice in the world, but the last thing you really want with those styles is to add a ton of effects and get lost in the mix. With all of the effects in the Mustang, there will be a lot of temptation to over-use them.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                How much is your budget? I'd suggest you give Craigslist a look for a Fender Blues Jr. or Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Blues Deluxe...can get them for a decent price and will be a KILLER amp!
                Neither of them is particularly well suited to his stated musical preferences. Sure, you can add a bunch of pedals, but you're also talking about more money. I loved my old Blues Deluxe and play my Hot Rod regularly, they just aren't very good at pop punk and metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
                  In my opinion, you'd do best to hold out and save up enough to buy a nice tube amp. Neither of those amps you mentioned will get you where you need for what you play, and if you scour the used market, you can find some great amps from not a lot of money.
                  I +1 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th this advice..

You can find you a nice Blackstar HT5 or Marshall DSL15 or something used for the price of a modeling amp.
                  While modeling amps are okay they are still modeling amps. There is a reason why tube amps are still made and digital has not taken over.
                  Tubes rock! Unless you're dropping coin for Fractal or Kemper digital is just not there in my eyes.

Scour Craigslist.. I don't know where you live but Music Go Round and Guitar Center have lots of used gear.
                  I don't have a lot of luck dickering with Music Go Round locally but cash talks at Guitar Center.. I see great deals scored there if you have cash.
                  GC hates holding onto used gear.. Act interested and ask if they'll take such and such and they'll either say yes or counter..
                  I do good on Craigslist and at Pawn Shops too. Shop around, used gear is the way to go for me.. I rarely buy new..

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter.556 View Post
                    You can find you a nice Blackstar HT5 or Marshall DSL15 or something used for the price of a modeling amp.
                    HT5 or DSL15 in a band setting? Bad idea

Comment

I thought this guy was just learning?

Comment

My bad, look for something more like 50 watts tube..

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                          Neither of them is particularly well suited to his stated musical preferences. Sure, you can add a bunch of pedals, but you're also talking about more money. I loved my old Blues Deluxe and play my Hot Rod regularly, they just aren't very good at pop punk and metal.
                          We will have to disagree–I totally see my Hot Rod Deluxe pulling off the Punk and Pop style. Metal, buy a Metal Muff and there you go

Comment

The Mustang amps are pretty cool but it doesn't seem like the right fit to me in this case. If he were talking about a wider variety of music or styles that called for tons of effects, I would agree with you. It's not the worst choice in the world, but the last thing you really want with those styles is to add a ton of effects and get lost in the mix. With all of the effects in the Mustang, there will be a lot of temptation to over-use them.
                            Originally posted by Shooter.556 View Post
                            I thought this guy was just learning?
                            The point regarding beginners is that learning is often accompanied by an expansion of interests. The modelers are best for such, and the Mustang is a good, highly versatile modeler.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                              We will have to disagree–I totally see my Hot Rod Deluxe pulling off the Punk and Pop style. Metal, buy a Metal Muff and there you go
                              There's a hundred ways to skin a cat and we all have our preferred method.

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                              The point regarding beginners is that learning is often accompanied by an expansion of interests. The modelers are best for such, and the Mustang is a good, highly versatile modeler.
                              I've seen countless beginners go down the rabbit hole of learning how to program the modelers and the end result more often than not is that they stop learning how to play along the way. I'd rather have something that does exactly what I want/need very well than something that does an OK job at what I want/need but gives me a lot of options that I may potentially want at some point down the road. Different strokes and all that.

Comment

Working...
                              X