X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAD - Vox AC15C1

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
    It'll be for sale here in 18 months.
    Fair enough since I don't think any gear is a permanent solution but I don't generally flip amps quite like guitars. I did go thru quite a few different things for awhile as I figured out what I wanted to do, I got tired of big rigs, and in doing so fell in love with EL84 powered amps. I'm down to Orange and Vox and other than a Deluxe Reverb there is not much on my radar.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
      Fair enough since I don't think any gear is a permanent solution but I don't generally flip amps quite like guitars. I did go thru quite a few different things for awhile as I figured out what I wanted to do, I got tired of big rigs, and in doing so fell in love with EL84 powered amps. I'm down to Orange and Vox and other than a Deluxe Reverb there is not much on my radar.
      I was just trying to be funny. More of an indictment of all of us combined! Sorry.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Oh no I get it, no offense, it is funny and it is entirely the lot of us
        My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

It's funny how most of my guitars I consider as keepers and likely never for sale. And yet out of all my amplifiers, there are only 2-3 that are off limits. Most of the others are in various stages of repair or just old collector pieces that I got great deals on. And all of them are for sale at some point.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

I swear I was going to put a joke For Sale thread in the Trading Room hahahaha

Everybody's different. I have friends that have played for 40 years and still have almost every guitar and amp they've ever bought. I can't do that for a few reasons but guitars are just way more flexible to me than amps. I am almost always chasing something in my head and usually guitars are the fodder.
            My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Love the color. Tomorrow I should be joining you with the vox ac15c1 club. Let's just say tomorrow there will most likely be a NAD thread from me.....
              Literally cannot wait to play it.

Comment

Originally posted by CodeDante View Post
                Love the color. Tomorrow I should be joining you with the vox ac15c1 club. Let's just say tomorrow there will most likely be a NAD thread from me.....
                Literally cannot wait to play it.
                Presents we "buy" for ourselves are always the best. I bet it's working. You are the kid on Christmas Eve praying to God for the new bike tomorrow.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                  Couldn't help myself

GC 20% coupon was more than I could resist

New besties just hanging out

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68886[/ATTACH]
                  Hey Wattage, does your ac15 buzz at high volumes. My new one is. Even at quieter volumes it buzzes very loudly when I use my overdrive pedal. I'm just concerned if that's the amp or the pedal.

Comment

Try running your pedal on just battery power first and foremost. Might eliminate it if you've got a crappy power source. Also, it doesn't buzz without your pedal? If so, it's not your amp.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Try running your pedal on just battery power first and foremost. Might eliminate it if you've got a crappy power source. Also, it doesn't buzz without your pedal? If so, it's not your amp.
                      I mean it buzzes but normal amounts without the pedal. But I do run the pedal just on battery.

Comment

I haven't run it flat out yet but at reasonable volumes there isn't any buzz. I have not fronted it with any pedals yet. I picked it up during some down time so it's just been used in my den so far.
                        My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

It'll be for sale here in 18 months.
                          You were way off

I returned it today LOL

Oh well
                          My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

So was it a lemon or did you just not like the amp?
                            Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by CodeDante View Post
                              Hey Wattage, does your ac15 buzz at high volumes. My new one is. Even at quieter volumes it buzzes very loudly when I use my overdrive pedal. I'm just concerned if that's the amp or the pedal.
                              It is a cathode biased amp. Those mofos buzz. You can get lower noise tubes, but part of the sonic character and richness of cathode biased amps comes with the price of a bit of hiss. Call it the "rock and roll" tax. You won't hear it once the drummer starts up and the band is rocking.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                                So was it a lemon or did you just not like the amp?
                                The amp worked fine.

To use it and get the sounds I want at full volume meant I had to do some mods and mostly I just didn't feel like doing them. I knew going in that might be an issue but I gave it a shot. I imagine I could've worked with it if I really wanted to.

The reverb was kind of lame, a reasonably simple fix with a new tank. The Greenback was not the right speaker for me in this amp, it's a shame I've liked it in so many other situations. Opening up the amp it had a nice roar but I could never really get the tonal balance I was looking for, I assume it was part speaker, part tubes. There were a lot of really good lower volume sounds that I didn't find translated well once I opened it up.

Not a big deal, still like AC's a lot but I'll hold off for now.

***in dull disclosure mode*** I did happen to get my old Crate VC2112R back full time so the Vox would kind of be sitting around waiting for attention
                                Last edited by Wattage; 01-14-2016, 08:28 PM.
                                My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                                X