Bass Preamp / Direct question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Preamp / Direct question

Guys - I'm going to need to run a bass direct into a PA.

What do you suggest? I need said bass to make bass sounds. I'd like the ability to tailor the sound a bit, but at the end of the day, basic bass is what I need.

Effects might be nice, along with an array of standard bass tones (Rock, Metal, Classic Rock, Blues maybe….)

What do you suggest that is

a) Cheap (< $100)
    b) Simple

Remember - I'm NOT a bass player.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Bass Preamp / Direct question

Eden WTDI? Reviews all seem pretty decent and I've seen them on Amazon for $95 if you have Prime.

Comment

I would just run direct from a decent compressor.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Any active DI will do the trick. The sound engineer usually then tailors the frequencies to fit the room.
        However...that's not much fun running a dry string sound into the FOH and hoping for something nice to come back to you via the foldback.
        If you want a little more control over the tones and add some grit and compression as if you were running thru a nice old ampeg or something, then have a look at the sansamp BDDI. It is a swiss army knife for bassists because:
        1. It is a high quality DI even when not engaged.
        2. It can be used purely as an active eq.
        3. You can dial in overdrive, cab sim and presence as you like.
        4. You can blend in any amount of the above with your clean tone.
        5. You can do all of this via various outputs (ie, clean to FOH, effected to FOH, effect to FOH and clean to your amp, both/either/neither, and also choose the output impedances of your XLR and unbalanced outputs)
        Basically, it allows you to do everything you need to get a killer bass tone in any room with any system whether you are using your own amp, purely direct or a combination of both. Kicks ass for recording too.

Other options are the MXR bass di (cheaper i think) and the aguilar bass hammer.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Looked at the Sansamp. Programmable or the one button?

Pushing my price range…but quality is quality.

What about a used Digitech RP or a Bass POD or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            I would just run direct from a decent compressor.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
            +1

If your bass sounds good, this is really all you need.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Used Line 6 Bass POD.

Comment

The SansAmp demos I've heard have been awesome. I'd need some EQ if going straight into the PA, and for rock a little grit is good to help cut through the mix too.

Can you get a used SansAmp in your budget?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'd go with the pre-owned Sansamp too.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Looked at the Sansamp. Programmable or the one button?
                    They are the same pedal really, so get whichever is cheaper. My bass playing buddy tried it and loved it so much he bought himself the programmable one although he rarely uses the switchable functions. He reckons he doesnt know how he played bass all those years without one. Its a good investment even if you only use it for home (or even studio) recording. Instant bass tone that you can eq to fit the mix while you listen in the monitors. For live, it is the most useful thing (apart from the bass) that you can bring with you.
                    I dont think the "character series" ones have all the flexibility in terms of outs, impedances and configurations, so keep your eye on the black ones.
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 12-15-2015, 04:39 PM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I was just thinking if using it live, the switching might be nice. Not that I'd be using it.

Do you really use more than one bass tone in a metal band?

Comment

I was just thinking if using it live, the switching might be nice. Not that I'd be using it.

I do. Sometimes I need a distorted bass sound, and sometimes I need a clean bass sound.

How about this?
                        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                        Line 6 Helix
                        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

For a cover band, if the guitarists go to a bassless JB/Dave Mustaine guitar tone you'll need a comparable Dave Ellefson bass tone. If they switch guitars or pedal/rack patches to a more bassy tone, you'll want to keep from making it muddy, so a different EQ curve would work better, and be easier/cheaper than carrying multiple basses.
                          Originally posted by Brown Note
                          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                          My Blog

Comment

I'll third or fourth the suggestion of the Sansamp, but the MXR pre/DI would do you pretty well, too.

Pretty sure the SansAmp will take a grit pedal in front of it, if you need it.

Sent from my iPad using a bunch of electrons, copper, and probably some fiber optic cable
                            "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Always, always, ALWAYS have a Whirlwind IMP 2 passive direct box in the bass case. If the soundman wants to use his fancy, state-of-the-art active DI, let him... but when all else fails, all batteries die, and all grounds loop, the IMP 2 will get the bass signal split between the stage amp and the PA. Some compression and EQ at the board should get you a decent sound.

If you want more than that, one of the Sans Amps will add some grunt. The Catalinbread SFT is a good Ampeg-in-a-box, too. I built a clone on a Catalinbread-approved, Madbean-manufactured PC board for my son. It's an easy build and sounds great.
                              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                              Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Working...
                              X