banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1991 Deluxe P-bass PJJ? Anyone familiar and know the specs about the electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Deluxe P-bass PJJ? Anyone familiar and know the specs about the electronics

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-12-18-01-06-54.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	5839329

Here it is. Wondering mainly what my options are with electronics/Splitting and such. Thanks for your help folks!

Re: 1991 Deluxe P-bass PJJ? Anyone familiar and know the specs about the electronic

Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Top to bottom, the controls appear to be labelled, Volume, Balance, Treble/Bass and Midrange. Of these, only the first and last could possibly be push-pull pots.

It is perfectly possible that no series/parallel or coil splitting options are offered. Arguably, the whole point of the dual J pickup is noise-cancellation and, perhaps, a pseudo-Stingray sound.

Of course, it would be a simple task to add mode switching.
    Right on. I figured there would be some sort of splitting available. I cant wait to get my hands on it! I will know more next week.

Comment

Re: 1991 Deluxe P-bass PJJ? Anyone familiar and know the specs about the electronic

Originally posted by bjeans79 View Post
      Right on. I figured there would be some sort of splitting available. I cant wait to get my hands on it! I will know more next week.
      Well I have finally been able to actually play the bass. To my ear, its basically a PJ bass with a hotter jazz bass pickup, without hum ( better tone than the Noiseless or N3 pickup, it seems IMHO). I don't hear a jawdropping difference as if it were a dimension pickup, it is definitely has the jazzy bridge p'up sound. It doesnt have a switch to split the coils, but I dont know that there is much point to splitting the coils, considering I already have a standard jazz bass, and that splitting the JJ pickup will only add hum and probably thin out my tone too much (not sure), Im thinking just leave it stock? I was just thinking it would be cool to have a 3 way toggle allowing me to choose which coil I want to use (like a music man classic, with a 3 way toggle), adding to the versatility of the bass. What think ye?

Comment

The "classic" MusicMan Stingray Bass features no coil switching. (By comparison, some of Leo Fender's designs for G&L positively bristle with mode switches.) Some EBMM models feature a blade switch to select coil combinations.

One idea that might prove interesting on the American Deluxe Fender is a series/parallel mode switch for the JJ pickup.

For the most part, I agree that you would be wise to leave the instrument stock. Some of the tonal variation that might come from pickup mode switching should be obtainable from 3-band active EQ.

You mention a Jazz Bass. Is this Standard in the Made In Mexico sense or "standard" in the sense of single coil pickups and passive control electronics?

If you are content with the playability of the bass guitar that you already own, it should cost far less to upgrade its pickups and control circuitry than to purchase another instrument.
        Ah, the classic is the one with the volume, bass, treble, I was thinking of the 5 string I played that had the 3 band and 3 way switch.

I meant standard in the sense of passive/JJ. I really like the idea of having the versatility of another Guitar, made in USA, with the fat p bass tone I love, and its super clean with a maple neck, I really dig this red bass.

Also I learned that this bass was totally tagged wrong. Its a 2002 (based upon the date stamp on the neck and body), not a 1991, and it is not "candy apple red", it is apparently Chrome red. Somebody didn't do their homework...

Would have been cool to be a 1991 though, considering it would have been the P-Bass' 40th anniversary.
        Last edited by bjeans79; 12-30-2015, 02:58 PM.

Comment

You might try rigging it up for a split where the half of the P and one of the Js are in series. Maybe run the two coils of the P to a Blend control: center is both coils, up or down is one or the other. When using them with the double-J (or even a split J), you can tweak the P in or out, up or down. Might hit upon a unique tone.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
            You might try rigging it up for a split where the half of the P and one of the Js are in series. Maybe run the two coils of the P to a Blend control: center is both coils, up or down is one or the other. When using them with the double-J (or even a split J), you can tweak the P in or out, up or down. Might hit upon a unique tone.
            That definitely sounds interesting I will ask my guitar tech about that... Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

If you like the way the instrument plays, the way it sounds, the way it looks and the asking price, go ahead and buy it.

As for versatility, there are times when less is more. Fewer options can mean less time wasted, fiddling about, trying to arrive at the right control settings.

I can imagine using the P sound. I can imagine using the dual J sound. I am not so certain how usable the in between sounds would be. If you find yourself only using the two extremes of the Balance pot, there would be a case for converting to a selector switch.
              I am completely content with how the bass sounds, and the sounds that I can get from it are versatile enough for anything I would like to do, I just always like to learn new things about the bass and ask others what their experience is with different variations of wiring and such. Thanks!

Comment

I had a chance to grab one of these in shoreline gold, new, for $600 at a local dealer's super/clearance sale in 1998. I should have grabbed it.
                I was in the market for a bass at the time, having just joined a band as bass player. But I decided on a different bass.
                "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                guitar pic site
                Original prog rock on soundcloud
                Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Working...
                X