banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! 2 hum 1 vol push/pull coil split, 2 tone push/pull phase & push pull series/par

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! 2 hum 1 vol push/pull coil split, 2 tone push/pull phase & push pull series/par

Hey Guys,

I've tried multiple attempts at following this diagram, but I can't seem to get it to work right. Can someone verify that this schematic is correct? The only difference is that my switch is a CRL, so the off-set on the switch terminals is off from the diagram. That being said, I wired it exactly as shown. The neck pup seems to work fine, but the bridge sounds completely ungrounded and weak. The volume also doesn't seem to actually turn anything down, but seems to just lower the output of the pickup (the neck in this case).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2H_3B_1VppSPL_2TppSPppPH.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	5839340

Can't say I've ever had this much trouble wiring before. Any tips or pointers would he much appreciated. Or, if you have a really cool 2 tone, 3 push-pull schematic of your own, I'd love to try it out.

Thanks!

-Bryce

Re: HELP! 2 hum 1 vol push/pull coil split, 2 tone push/pull phase & push pull series

This wiring is a bit complicated, so what I would do is break it down into a simpler wiring AND leave out the DPDT switches until you get the basic wiring done. Sometimes I have to do this as it makes troubleshooting easier but thats me.. Usually these drawings are right on the money and do work as intended so im leaning towards that maby you might of missed something. Not saying you did but it is plausible as with several switches, it happens

Also, a pic of your wiring would be helpful.

Comment

Re: HELP! 2 hum 1 vol push/pull coil split, 2 tone push/pull phase & push pull series

Thanks for the tips! I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I get a chance. Just tried the wiring diagram AGAIN (3rd time) and got the same results! Something is definitely wrong somewhere...

Comment

If your volume pot is not turning the sound off, you might not have the terminal grounded properly. It may have popped loose.

As for the diagram, from what I can tell, the bridge pickup only goes to the pickup selector when the neck tone push/pull is Down.
        Originally posted by Brown Note
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

My first thought was that the pot wasn't grounded right/not making a good connection. With diagrams like this, I work very slowly, as it is easy to 'just want it done' and rush through. It is so easy for something to touch a ground point that you didn't intend to, resulting in a very weak signal.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yo guys, just wanted to update everyone on my progress. Apologies for not posting pics of my wiring, but that just seems like more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.

I followed Brandenburg's suggestions and started doing everything piece by piece - starting with one pickup/one pot, one pup/one DPDT, one pup, one DPDT/one tone, two pups/one DPDT/one tone, etc. But when it came time to hook up the DPDT phase control everything went wrong. For some reason, following the SD diagram for 2 humbuckers, 1 volume push/pull coil split, 1 Tone push/pull phase led to the bridge pup being out of phase with itself. I tried a bunch of different wiring configurations with the same result. I finally got it working after stumbling on this wiring diagram -

Name:	1V-1T_cc+phase.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	5789563

Obviously from SD but modified. The only change I made to this was to move the ground and the switch connection to the opposite end of the DPDT board so that I wasn't out of phase with the switch down.

So now I'm going to try for the series/parallel switch. Do you guys think this diagram looks correct for that -

Name:	1V-1T_cc+phase_edit.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	5789564
            Last edited by bvanhoosen; 12-24-2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bvanhoosen View Post
              Hey Guys,

I've tried multiple attempts at following this diagram, but I can't seem to get it to work right. Can someone verify that this schematic is correct? The only difference is that my switch is a CRL, so the off-set on the switch terminals is off from the diagram. That being said, I wired it exactly as shown. The neck pup seems to work fine, but the bridge sounds completely ungrounded and weak. The volume also doesn't seem to actually turn anything down, but seems to just lower the output of the pickup (the neck in this case).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69097[/ATTACH]

Can't say I've ever had this much trouble wiring before. Any tips or pointers would he much appreciated. Or, if you have a really cool 2 tone, 3 push-pull schematic of your own, I'd love to try it out.

Thanks!

-Bryce
              I know this is too late but I hope this still helps.

What is missing is to ground the top right and bottom left pins of the bridge switch(phase). Also, the tone pots' connected wire on the left pin should be moved to the right pin instead.

Name:	2H_3B_1VppSPL_2TppSPppPH_1.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	5818477
              Last edited by toneebhoi; 03-17-2020, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toneebhoi View Post

I know this is too late but I hope this still helps.

What is missing is to ground the top right and bottom left pins of the bridge switch(phase). Also, the tone pots' connected wire on the left pin should be moved to the right pin instead.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103770[/ATTACH]
                Nope this isn't too late at all! I am about to attempt this same wiring with a set of Jazz and JB's. And it's my first wiring attempt ever, so you have saved me a lot of frustration!

You also confirmed my suspicion about it saying **All pot casings MUST be grounded** but then seeing not evidence of grounding in the diagram.

Huge thanks! Wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by stefantarras View Post

Nope this isn't too late at all! I am about to attempt this same wiring with a set of Jazz and JB's. And it's my first wiring attempt ever, so you have saved me a lot of frustration!

You also confirmed my suspicion about it saying **All pot casings MUST be grounded** but then seeing not evidence of grounding in the diagram.

Huge thanks! Wish me luck!
                  Good luck with this project, and make sure you come back to tell us how it comes out!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Good luck with this project, and make sure you come back to tell us how it comes out!
                    Thanks for the well wishings!

Well, after four hours and much frustration, I plugged my guitar in and got nothing but a lovely, harsh humming/buzzing sound. When I tapped the poles pieces I did get a very faint sounds like something was connected. Surprisingly the tones pots worked as they should, removing the top end of that lovely buzzing. This I can't blame on the diagram. The push pull pots I purchased are the standard style and the terminals on the push pull mechanism are so small, it's hard to get a piece of 22 gauge wire through, let alone two or three as this wiring requires.

In hind sight I probably should have picked a more basic wiring scheme. And now I think I should either get smaller gauge wire or get CTS pots with the circuit board style connections for easy access.

I'm not defeated though. I look at is a learning experience. And on the bright side I get to practice using my solder sucker and desoldering. lol

Comment

If you get stuck, you can always post pics, and we might be able to spot something. Make sure the jack isn't wired backwards- that is a common issue. Good luck on the diagnosis!

Comment

Working...
                      X