Tried a Laney Ironheart and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tried a Laney Ironheart and...

But I think Tony Iommi sounded better when he was using Marshalls. BTW, don't apologize for what you don't like- iti sn't a person, it is a product.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Switch the preamp tubes to JJ's. That amp sounds sick, but the stock Shuggy's are usually too thin & bright for it. I'm happy with my IRT 2x12 cab & would'nt mind an Ironheart 60-120 sitting on top of it at all

Those amp's are killer for anything from shred to doom & death metal..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Definitely not thin, tinny or overbright with JJ's..

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I've heard a bit of hate for the JJ's of late. Glad to hear something positive for a change.

Comment

And after listening to the sound clip.
            Daaaaaaaaaaaaamnnnnnn!!!!

Comment

I love the regular short plate JJ 12ax7's. Think I've got them in all my tube heads except for my Brutus which came stock with Sovtek's (sound great in that amp). I know a few guy's in other bands rocking Ironheart's & they all switched their stock tubes to JJ's straight away..

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                Definitely not thin, tinny or overbright with JJ's..

Well, that sounds NOTHING like my buddy's Ironheart did. That's way better, man.
                A few years later I used his Ironheart cab with my Tweaker and thought it sounded kinda flat and lifeless, maybe that had something to do with it?

Anyway, he sold it and bought a Katana, and he's getting much better tones out of it.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Every Ironheart I've heard/played sounded like that ^^ & they'd all been re-tubed with JJ's (at least the pre's). That's the trick

My Ironheart 2x12 could'nt be livelier/punchier. The HH driver's need to be dialed in differently to sound good (ie dialed in with your ears) ..but sound good they do

I have a 4x12 & a 2x12 with HH's & they give me comparable tones to the 1960b cab at the venue where we play a lot of our gigs. I've often A/B'ed them with the Marshall..dial them in right & they're not world's apart.

One thing I did notice was that they do need a good while to be played in when they're new (longer than you might think) ..when I first got mine they sounded thin & reedy ...not anymore

Youtube

Comment

Earlier post someone mentioned something to the likes of "Laney = Iommi"

The amps Iommi used during the heyday of Sabbath were Laney Supergroups.

Which were, perhaps not surprisingly, circuits that were incredibly close to the typical Marshall plexi of the day.

I'd venture to say there's not one iota of the old Laney DNA in any of their current products.
                    Last edited by LLL; 12-16-2019, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Well they're still building Iommi sig's The GH100TI from about 20 years ago(sounds excellent) & then the (comparitively) more recent T1100 (also sounds excellent).

The thing with Laney's are they're good amp's (love the GH100/VH100R..wicked for hard rock/80's metal & shred & I'm pretty keen on the IRT 60-120's) ..but they've always lacked their own distinctive sonic identity, unlike Marshall's, Vox's, Hiwatt's etc...

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                      X