Best amp for covers band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best amp for covers band

Yeah preferably, cheaper as well. If I had the £1200 or whatever for a Kemper then I'd just use that for everything I do.

Comment

I vote EVH 5150iii.. That amp will cover mucho tierra. I love mine, it goes from clean to metal and everywhere between.

Comment

as much as im against modeling amps. a line 6 dt25 or a valve would be a decent option. i don't care for the solid state line 6 amps, but the Bogner valve series sound pretty damn good in my opinion. plus you get all the presets for several different rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter.556 View Post
          I vote EVH 5150iii.. That amp will cover mucho tierra. I love mine, it goes from clean to metal and everywhere between.
          Already got a 6505+ so might be too similar. After all the 5150 is the original version of the 6505 or thereabouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly_Diesel View Post
            as much as im against modeling amps. a line 6 dt25 or a valve would be a decent option. i don't care for the solid state line 6 amps, but the Bogner valve series sound pretty damn good in my opinion. plus you get all the presets for several different rigs.
            I didn't think about that. Get a one of the DT50's or the DT25's and a POD HD 500 to control the presets and effects and you'd have a great cover band rig.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Fender Hot Rods are very versatile and should fit your expectations.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
                Already got a 6505+ so might be too similar. After all the 5150 is the original version of the 6505 or thereabouts.
                Comparing the 6505 to the 5150iii is not a good comparison at all. They honestly sound nothing alike.
                The 5150iii has a clean and crunch channel that the 6505 could only dream of. The ultra channel is close but the EVH is more refined and less fizzy.
                You'd be surprised by it if you tried it. It's way more versatile than the 6505+ is.

Comment

Wow - look at the amazing AMP bias here! Seriously?

Nobody at these events cares jack about "tone"

Get a Line6 Floor unit, or a Boss GY8/10 whatever and program the bejeebers out of it to SOUND right.

Try a powered Atomic cab or Tech 21 power train or whatever.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Comparing the 6505 to the 5150iii is not a good comparison at all. They honestly sound nothing alike.
                    The 5150iii has a clean and crunch channel that the 6505 could only dream of. The ultra channel is close but the EVH is more refined and less fizzy.
                    You'd be surprised by it if you tried it. It's way more versatile than the 6505+ is.
                    Maybe they're not similar at all, I haven't played one before but would like something that does good cleans as well. Modern high gain amps are renowned for having a crap clean channel. Fender deluxe could be another option.

Comment

A lot of that fizz can be fixed with a tube swap and a proper biasing (which isn't the Peavey recommended bias setting).
                      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                        A lot of that fizz can be fixed with a tube swap and a proper biasing (which isn't the Peavey recommended bias setting).
                        Which would be nice if a 5150 could cover half of the tones that a band covering 4 decades of pop/rock needs. But it can't

Modeller + powered cab for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          Which would be nice if a 5150 could cover half of the tones that a band covering 4 decades of pop/rock needs. But it can't

Modeller + powered cab for the win.
                          I would agree with you if I didn't watch my buddy Cory do exactly what you're saying can't be done every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday for a few years. A 5150-II/6505+ and a good overdrive with a couple different guitars covers A TON of ground.
                          Nope...

Comment

ANd a POD dialed in will kick said amp to the curb. On EVERY sound, except post DLR Van Halen.

The OP is more concerned about having the totally tubular awesomeness of a 5159 and jumping through invisible hoops to use it. Popular consensus is that the 5150 is pretty much a one trick pony (but what a trick it is!). The cleans could be cleaner, the gain could be more wide ranging, we can go on.

He is in a "function" band. What that means is people want them to show up and play sound alike hits from 4 decades of music:

Clean Fender
                            Over Driven fender
                            Marshall 800
                            Modded Marshall
                            Roland Jazz Chorus
                            with an assortment of EQ, Chorus, Phase, Flange and delays ranging from mild to wild.

You can tweak a 5150 and pedal it to death, but the presets in a POD through the "function band" PA will beat it in a New York minute.

Just like guys who try to mod a Pearly Gates into a Dimebucker. You can mod the PG all you want. It will get closer, but never win. Use the right tool for the job.

I have played in bands that have done Mustang Sally, Rock & Roll, Can't Get enough, Shake It Up, Pride (In the name of love), Rebel Yell, Nothing But A Good Time, Surrender, and The Trooper.

Would I have a cool tone with a JCM 900 SL-X? Sure. Would be the right thing for that gig? Heck no. I think it is flat out bad advice. Are you playing for you or for the crowd/client/customer? I'm saying as a guitar player, yeah - you'd dig "Cory's" tone.

I'm saying as a member of the Function - it won't sound "right" no matter how you bias a tube.
                            Last edited by Aceman; 01-12-2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              ANd a POD dialed in will kick said amp to the curb. On EVERY sound, except post DLR Van Halen.

The OP is more concerned about having the totally tubular awesomeness of a 5159 and jumping through invisible hoops to use it. Popular consensus is that the 5150 is pretty much a one trick pony (but what a trick it is!). The cleans could be cleaner, the gain could be more wide ranging, we can go on.

He is in a "function" band. What that means is people want them to show up and play sound alike hits from 4 decades of music:

Clean Fender
                              Over Driven fender
                              Marshall 800
                              Modded Marshall
                              Roland Jazz Chorus
                              with an assortment of EQ, Chorus, Phase, Flange and delays ranging from mild to wild.

You can tweak a 5150 and pedal it to death, but the presets in a POD through the "function band" PA will beat it in a New York minute.

Just like guys who try to mod a Pearly Gates into a Dimebucker. You can mod the PG all you want. It will get closer, but never win. Use the right tool for the job.

I have played in bands that have done Mustang Sally, Rock & Roll, Can't Get enough, Shake It Up, Pride (In the name of love), Rebel Yell, Nothing But A Good Time, Surrender, and The Trooper.

Would I have a cool tone with a JCM 900 SL-X? Sure. Would be the right thing for that gig? Heck no. I think it is flat out bad advice. Are you playing for you or for the crowd/client/customer? I'm saying as a guitar player, yeah - you'd dig "Cory's" tone.

I'm saying as a member of the Function - it won't sound "right" no matter how you bias a tube.
                              Well, the point I was trying to make is that it's not as much of a one-trick pony as many believe it to be and it's a scenario that it's excelled in before.

Plus, the guy already has the amp, so why not save money and/or get other cool gear for the situation.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
                              Nope...

Comment

I use a POD precisely because I need a wide variety of tones available on the fly.

Singing lead vocals and pedal dances do not mix.
                                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                                https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                                X