Best amp for covers band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best amp for covers band

As much as I don't care for MY tone using them, the POD is great for this type of gig. One of the guitar players in my uncle's band was using a POD floorboard (can't remember of it was the XT or HD500) and a Variax and could get any tone you could imagine.
    sigpic
    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
      I use a POD precisely because I need a wide variety of tones available on the fly.

Singing lead vocals and pedal dances do not mix.

No cats were harmed with this post
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I tend to agree with Ace a multi effect with a line out would be the way to go. Plug direct into the house system and you are done. The whole set can be programed into the unit and there is less to drag around for load in. The purpose of a GB gig is to make money, not go into debt buying fancy tube amps.

Comment

Depends on the band and the people in it.

I always recommend that you get an amp that has balls and presence instead of an anemic, emasculated digital box that pretends to be something it isn't.

Of course, that's just me.
           Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Flannel View Post

I always recommend that you get an amp that has balls and presence instead of an anemic, emasculated digital box that pretends to be something it isn't.

I agree if you're playing one style, but when you're calling for versatility, the amp that has balls and presence will not be able to do everything that the emasculated digital box that pretends to be something it isn't.

If you want balls and presence, put the digital box through a power amp and cab.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I would tend to agree with you, If it was a 80's/90's rock cover gig that would be the case. I don't see the need to buy a 5150 to play Celebration, Walking on Sunshine and the Chicken Dance.

Comment

Different strokes for different folks.

I've always been a firm believer of making your gear do what you need it to do.

Granted, with some gear - that isn't possible. However, with a good amp and some pedals you can only make so many excuses.
                 Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  I would tend to agree with you, If it was a 80's/90's rock cover gig that would be the case. I don't see the need to buy a 5150 to play Celebration, Walking on Sunshine and the Chicken Dance.

I agree. No need to buy it. However, if you already own it, like the OP, it'll work. That was the basis of my suggestion.
                  Nope...

Comment

You can program sets in the POD HD500
                    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                    https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
                    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

However, with a good amp and some pedals you can only make so many excuses.
                      No excuses brother. I would rock the **** out of the Chicken Dance with a multi effect! 5 minute tapping solo with tons of echo.

Comment

Thanks for the input so far guys, I think the vibe is going to be a rock covers band that play weekend gigs in pubs. So there may be much need for clean tones!

Still, its good to have a nice clean sound, and a main dirty rhythm with a boost for any solos/lead parts.

Comment

Your amp does clean and dirty? I think in your shoes I'd just want a pedal (the Tech21 character series caught my eye, and I'm pretty choosy, I hate most pedals) that does Fender if my amp is Marshall-y, and vice versa. I like the demos I've heard of the California. I don't think you have a bad amp at all (and I probably like it better than all the gear you said you sold!).

Comment

It does but not versatile enough to cover the vintage-y tones and stuff. I mean, I could try and dial in a nice rock rhythm sound on the crunch channel but 6505+'s are known for being a heavy metal type style amp.

I just Marshall's cover the tone pretty well, alot of covers I see are normally using a Marshall amp of some sort.

Comment

If you have an Ipad Air or newer you could run Jam up and get a floor controller. I gigged mine for a year just fine and left my Marshall at home. I ran an Irig HD guitar input, Ipad, Jam up, DI Box and blueboard. I used my real wah with it and it all sounded very good.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
                                It does but not versatile enough to cover the vintage-y tones and stuff. I mean, I could try and dial in a nice rock rhythm sound on the crunch channel but 6505+'s are known for being a heavy metal type style amp.

I just Marshall's cover the tone pretty well, alot of covers I see are normally using a Marshall amp of some sort.
                                I hate to keep beating on this point but it always seems to be missed.

You know Ted Nugent uses two 6505+ half stacks on tour?

The 5150/6505 and 5150-II/6505+ are basically the Soldano SLO 100 with added gain potential. Clapton and Warren Haynes used the SLO for years and years.

Turn down the gain knob, turn up the mids a tiny bit, and get an overdrive.

Good clean tone - clean channel, crunch off, gain low, volume high
                                Good crunch tone - good clean tone plus a nice overdrive
                                Good classic lead tone - the lead channel with the gain not cranked above 5 and the mids up

Oh, and turn down the resonance for those. The resonance pushes that more modern tone.

You can do whatever the heck you want but you already have an amp that'll do what you want perfectly if you just play with the controls. Just trying to save you some money.
                                Nope...

Comment

Working...
                                X