banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Peavey Classic series amp speaker configuration is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Peavey Classic series amp speaker configuration is the best?

Hey, I'm looking to buy a new amp primarily for playing blues and jazz. Someone recommended the Peavey classic series of amplifiers, and when I looked them up, I noticed they have several models. Here are the models with the only differences between them I could find:
    • Classic 30—30 watt, 1x12 config
    • Classic 50 212—50 watt, 2x12 config, includes a presence knob
    • Classic 50 412—50 watt, 4x12 config, includes a presence knob
    • Delta Blues 115—30 watt, 1x15 config, includes tremolo but no presence
    • Delta Blues 210—30 watt, 2x10 config, includes tremolo but no presence

All the innards of these amps are the same (beside the presence and tremolo, but I don't care about that too much). It seems the main difference lies in the speaker configuration. Can anyone who has had experience with several of these amps or who just has experience with similar amps in different speaker configs tell me which speaker config seems to sound the best for you, especially for playing blues and jazz? I'm not concerned about wattage, any of these should do fine for my playing, its just the sound difference the size and number of speakers make that I'm interested in.
    Last edited by Mukobi; 01-06-2016, 12:30 AM.

Re: Which Peavey Classic series amp speaker configuration is the best?

You gigging or hauling this around? Size of the amp may play a factor. Classic 50 410 is pretty large. I have a Peavey Classic 30 that I upgraded the speaker and 3 preamp (12AX7) tubes. It sounds amazing and I get complimented on my tone all the time. It can do nice cleans for jazz, push the clean channel into breakup for blues or run the gain channel for an even hotter sound. 212 Classic 50 will have more clean headroom if you need it for louder clean jazz gigging. Can't comment on Delta Blues series as I've never played them.

Comment

Originally posted by t1r12003 View Post
      You gigging or hauling this around? Size of the amp may play a factor. Classic 50 410 is pretty large. I have a Peavey Classic 30 that I upgraded the speaker and 3 preamp (12AX7) tubes. It sounds amazing and I get complimented on my tone all the time. It can do nice cleans for jazz, push the clean channel into breakup for blues or run the gain channel for an even hotter sound. 212 Classic 50 will have more clean headroom if you need it for louder clean jazz gigging. Can't comment on Delta Blues series as I've never played them.
      Which speaker did you change to?

Comment

My buddy just got a Classic 30
        And I was shocked to hear him gush about the Blue Marvell it comes with
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

+1 about the Classic 410. It's loud and clean, but it's a real booger to drag in and out.
          sigpic
          "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
          Originally posted by Lewguitar
          In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

So is the Classic 50 2x12 a good middle ground where it has a bigger sound than the 1x12 or 1x15 but is still more portable than the 4x10 because that is what I am leaning towards right now?

Comment

The best answer is one that only you can provide: if it sounds good, and fits the budget, then go for it.
              sigpic
              "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
              --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
              Originally posted by Lewguitar
              In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                The best answer is one that only you can provide: if it sounds good, and fits the budget, then go for it.
                That's pretty much it. I haven't played the Delta Blues because I don't care for 15s for guitar, but I've played all of the other Classics and they sound VERY similar. In short buy the amp that you can afford that also suits your needs. You didn't say where you're playing, but for blues / jazz at home or in smaller rooms the Classic 30 1x12 is plenty. If you're having trouble hearing yourself, put it on a kick-back stand so it isn't blasting your knees. Either Classic 50 is probably overkill unless you're playing in medium sized (or larger) rooms un-mic'd or with a loud drummer or 2nd guitarist.

Whichever you choose budget for a speaker swap in the not-to-distant future as those Blue Marvels are awful. In terms of a replacement, go for something that you like. I've heard re-speakered Classic 30s sound great with G12M Greenbacks, V30s, and even a Jensen-voiced Weber (forgot the exact model).
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukobi View Post
                  So is the Classic 50 2x12 a good middle ground where it has a bigger sound than the 1x12 or 1x15 but is still more portable than the 4x10 because that is what I am leaning towards right now?
                  Yes 212 and 50 watt will sound bigger than 112 combo and 30 watt. And I second Ginormous that it has to sound good to you.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcorey View Post
                    Which speaker did you change to?
                    Had Eminence Swamp Thang in there as well as Eminence Mod 12-110. Both sounded great.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                      for blues / jazz at home or in smaller rooms the Classic 30 1x12 is plenty. If you're having trouble hearing yourself, put it on a kick-back stand so it isn't blasting your knees. Either Classic 50 is probably overkill unless you're playing in medium sized (or larger) rooms un-mic'd or with a loud drummer or 2nd guitarist.
                      Would the 2x10 delta blues be louder than the 1x12 Classic 30 but still quieter than the 50s to play at home while having a good sound, or would two smaller speakers sound weaker and have less bass than one 12 inch?

Comment

Typically 10" speakers are significantly less efficient than 12" speakers. A 12" or two is the way to go.

Comment

It's worth noting that some blues and jazz players prefer a 15" speaker for its deeper tone, and don't need as much high end as rock players, who typically play through 12" speakers, do.
                          If there's a dealer around where you can plug in and take a listen to models with 12" as well as 15" speakers, you'd be the best judge, based on the tone that you're after.
                          "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                          Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                          guitar pic site
                          Original prog rock on soundcloud
                          Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                          Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Working...
                          X