Kt-66 output tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kt-66 output tubes

Has anyone tried anything besides a 6l6Gc or El34 in a Laney IRT120 ???? I am going to try a quad set of KT-66 by JJ and see what it does tot he tone.. The Trans.... can withstand 7.5a of heater current and the KT-66 only draw 1.3 and that is only 5.2a . I was just wondering if anyone has tried anything else for different tones. So far the 6l6Gc has the best overall tone to my ears. I have tried JJ 6ca7 and it was like a blanket was put over the overall tone. The stock Ruby 6L6 were okay but a lot thinner than the JJ 6L6 and the JJ had a tone of more bottom end.

Re: Kt-66 output tubes

I haven't tried KT-66s in that amp, but I have had a chance to compare 5881s, 6L6s, and KT-66s in a Soldano Hot Rod 50, Lucky 13, Decatone, and SLO. The results were essentially the same in all four amps, and the relatively small changes I heard may have been the result of increased headroom. Compared to 6L6s, KT-66s had significantly deeper bass, better clarity, less compression, slightly more volume, and maybe the teeniest amount less treble. I ended up not buying any of those amps, so I never had to pick which tube type I wanted. If I had to choose right now I'd pick the Decatone with KT-66s, but that may change tomorrow.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
    X