NAD: I'm in love!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: I'm in love!

I finally went against everything I used to swear by the last couple of years, that was:
    • Big iron
    • Channel switching
    • More than one speaker combos
    • Mesas
    • Anything physically large or heavy

All for one amp: a Mesa RA-100 Royal Atlantic 2x12'' combo.

I wanted to simplify things again, "a plug and play" kinda setup where I just get almost everything from the amp itself. Except that, as good as my other amps sound clean or on the edge of dirt, they didn't do moderate gain or high gain stuff. That wasn't a big deal until I decided to work on getting myself out there to start gigging with a rock band again.

For a lot of years, I wasn't a Mesa fan. The cleans weren't that inspiring, the older designs didn't really have a lot of tonal flexibility and those suckers used to have to be turned up pretty substantially to enjoy. It's no surprise the last several years Mesa has made huge advances. They're progressively getting more compact, more power switching flexibility and a lot of different modes of operation to get a multitude of sounds. They've also managed to make channel switching amps that work really well without having big compromises. The Lonestar Special, for instance, has one of the best clean sounds i've heard out of any amplifier and still has a really good overdrive channel.

I missed that sound you get when you have really big iron. Yes, it's expensive to retube. Yes, it adds weight, it adds bulk, it makes transporting the darn thing a pain. I just miss really turning up, digging in hard and getting the sound in my face without it compressing to hell. I'm a much tighter player than I used to be so a stiffer and more revealing amp doesn't bother me.

Over the years I've learned that for cleans, I gravitate towards blackface Fenders (Vox just isn't me) and I like more mid heavy drive sounds (aka Marshall). For years, manufacturers have been trying to do the best of both worlds under one hood, but there are always compromises. I've owned Bogner Shivas and they were really good amps, but they were just too low middy, too warm, smooth and compressed and too fat sounding. I thought about something like a Carr Slant 6V, but the power just didn't seem to be there to offer lots of headroom.

I think I'm going to be enjoying this for a lot of years to come.

Here are some pros:
    • The power flexibility. This is one of the biggest things that sold me on the amp. I can run the clean channel on 100w, power scale the low and high gain modes to not be as overbearing. Finally, 100w headroom on the cleans again... no flubby lowend or compression unless I want to scale down the power and choose to lightly drive it. The scaling works very, very effectively so Mesa knocked it out of the park with this design.
    • Assignable reverb. I really like reverb, but reverb can take away the punch from distortion. I love that I can assign it to the clean channel only. I've played around with it on the gain modes and I really think being able to assign it to just the cleans puts this amp in a different league than most. A little reverb adds some nice depth to the cleans and while it isn't mesmerizing like on my Swart AST Pro, it's still a quality tube driven reverb.
    • Simplicity. I like the simplicity of the controls on this amp. It's a straightforward treble, mid, bass, gain, master configuration and it's intuitive. Unlike some amps I've owned in the past like the Bad Cat Hot Cat 30, adjusting one control doesn't radically change everything else. For folks that feel you need an engineering degree to work the controls on a Mesa, try this one out. You might be pleasantly surprised.
    • 3 Channels. Having (3) good channels covers the ground for me from clean to crunch to searing high gain. This amp really doesn't leave you wanting for much.
    • Power tube switching. I like that it has the provisions to easily switch between 6L6 AND EL-34 tubes. From the clips I've heard online, it sounds the best with EL-34s and that's what mine came with, but it's nice to know I can change the voicing if I so desire.
    • The cleans. It stuns me that when people reference this amp, they don't talk more about the cleans. Mesa got a damn near 6L6 Fender sound out of an EL-34 design. You buy this amp for Marshall tones with some of that Mesa feel, but being very picky about my clean sounds it blows me away that I'm equally inspired by the cleans. It all comes back to the "compromises" thing with channel switching and this Mesa doesn't compromise much.
    • The tuning of the cabinet and electronics EQ. A huge pro for me is that even though it's a 2x12'' combo, the bass isn't obnoxious. People usually compare this with the Electra Dyne and people rave about the thump on that amp, but the lack of tons of bass is why I like this so much. I like how it cuts in the midrange and the bass is present without rattling the heck out of tubes and electronics in the combo. I have no doubt this will cut in the mix just fine and there's more than enough room to turn up on this amp.

Here are some cons:
    • The low and high gain modes share the same EQ. While I can adjust the volume of the high gain channel, the gain itself is fixed. I have it dialed in where I love it on the low side, but the high side is a bit too gainy for my tastes. For rhythm, I can get some nice hotrodded Marshall, but with that level of preamp gain, you'll have to resort to putting a pedal in the FX Loop to boost for solos because it's too saturated to be useful kicking the frontend.
    • I wish this amp had a switchable FX Loop. It would have been nice to put my delay pedal and a boost pedal in the loop and switch both at once with one footswitch press to make leads pop.
    • The amp is heavy. With the TA-15 and TA-30 (the other Transatlantic amps in the lineup), they're compact. Having a (2) EL-34 equipped 1x12'' combo would have made a lot of sense and dropped the weight considerably.
    • The footswitch only has a low and high mode LED. When you're on the clean channel, you don't know what mode you're going to switch over to (because the other LEDs go out) unless you remember what it was set for before switching to the clean channel.

If I were to design my own amp with Mesa, it'd incorporate most of the bones of this with a separate EQ/gain for the high side, a 1x12'' combo with (2) EL34s and a foot switch with switchable FX loop and separate LEDs for the different modes.

This is a hell of an amp and I'm becoming a Mesa convert. They've discontinued this one I believe so who knows? With them moving towards smaller gear, maybe we'll see a successor surface in the next year or two. I have no regrets with this one though (especially for the price I got it for which is a steal for an amp of this caliber).
    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 01-10-2016, 07:52 PM.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: NAD: I'm in love!

Very nice. Is it the red one in the picture or a stock photo? I like the red.

A good review and of the rationales behind the design. I'm don't keep up with Mesa much but I learned something there. Most channel switchers just have too many compromises. But this sounds like it would make a good alternative to a two amp (clean amp/ dirty amp) set up. Even as a 2-12 combo is always so big, heavy, and awkward, its probably still more portable than two amps. I agree a 1x12 would have been even better from that standpoint. Did they make this in a head that could be used with different sized cabinets?

Comment

very nice gear.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
        Very nice. Is it the red one in the picture or a stock photo? I like the red.

A good review and of the rationales behind the design. I'm don't keep up with Mesa much but I learned something there. Most channel switchers just have too many compromises. But this sounds like it would make a good alternative to a two amp (clean amp/ dirty amp) set up. Even as a 2-12 combo is always so big, heavy, and awkward, its probably still more portable than two amps. I agree a 1x12 would have been even better from that standpoint. Did they make this in a head that could be used with different sized cabinets?
        They do make a head version of it and that's what I typically see more sold of. I may end up picking up a used head shell just in the event that I should ever decide to split it up and get a 1x12 Thiele cab or similar. I am really happy with the sound of the combo though and I couldn't pass up getting the combo for less than most were selling the heads for.

The pic above is the actual amp. The previous owner must have done a lot of gigging with it because the settings are marked with magic marker. I'll probably spend a little time cleaning it up, but that's a small thing to have to do. The amp was a custom order because red is not a standard tolex option. Being that Red's my favorite color I was sold on the aesthetics anyhow.

I forgot to mention above that the amp can be switched from 100w to 50w so theoretically I could pull (2) tubes if I wanted, but it's nice having that extra power for the clean channel. All in all, I'm being pretty picky and this amp has exceeded my expectations.

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
        very nice gear.
        Thanks!
        Last edited by That90'sGuy; 01-10-2016, 07:33 AM.
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

Big bottles. Big Iron. Big Tone.

Congrats, I have wanted to try one of those, but the MESA dealers dried up here years ago.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
            Big bottles. Big Iron. Big Tone.

Congrats, I have wanted to try one of those, but the MESA dealers dried up here years ago.
            Ain't that the truth. I miss the days when it was carried at places like Guitar Center; Mesa really limited their customer base by closing their distribution network. FWIW, I don't think we live very far away from each other so you're welcome to try it out sometime!

One of the main reasons I got the amp as cheap as I did was probably due to the markings on it. In about 10 minutes, I managed to use isopropyl rubbing alcohol to get the markings off the metal so it looks pretty close to mint at this time. The only thing that looks to be a pain is getting the marker off the grill cloth. I went lightly over it and managed to get the cross faded a bit, but it's in there pretty good so I may have to play around with something like Goof Off. Anybody have any experience with that?

Comment

Had you not mentioned the cross, I wouldnt have noticed... Congrats on your score!! nice to see you so happy with it! Goof off works pretty well for many things without being too harsh. Since your grill is a lighter color than black, you probably dont have to worry about it taking it fading the grill cloth itself. Or you could tint the grill cloth black. would cover the cross and match the piping. Just tossing out some ideas..
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Gibson175, your hair twirling hurricane thing is hysterical!! I dont see how guys do that. I turn my head to look at something and my neck pops.

Sorry, didnt mean to hijack the thread, I just had to comment on that..
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

CONGRATZ MATE !

THAT is my next amp.

The last amp for me, to complete my Quad-amp-rig.
                  Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Super Nice demo by Britt guitar mag, GUITARIST.

EDIT : bugger . . . sorry mate, i thought you bought an Electra Dyne !
                    Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz; 01-10-2016, 12:19 PM.
                    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Congratulations!! My guess is that the cross is a mark for the sweet spot when micing the amp. I would leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                        Congratulations!! My guess is that the cross is a mark for the sweet spot when micing the amp. I would leave it.
                        That's what I was thinking. That looks like one hell of an amp, congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                          Had you not mentioned the cross, I wouldnt have noticed... Congrats on your score!! nice to see you so happy with it! Goof off works pretty well for many things without being too harsh. Since your grill is a lighter color than black, you probably dont have to worry about it taking it fading the grill cloth itself. Or you could tint the grill cloth black. would cover the cross and match the piping. Just tossing out some ideas..
                          Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't have the heart to do anything wild, but I think I'll try a few more careful sessions. I haven't managed to wreck the grill cloth yet so I can't be too far off and I was relieved to find the marker didn't bleed anywhere else or smudge.

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                          Thanks Jolly. I'm so closed to getting it back to new I just can't leave it alone . If I fail, right now it's a light grey cross so it's less obvious than before and still useful to have as a mic reference point.

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
                          That's what I was thinking. That looks like one hell of an amp, congrats.
                          Thanks! You've got some really killer equipment as well.

I'll post some clips in a few weeks when I get some solo tunes tracked right.

Comment

Awesome amp and congratulations! Mesas rock!

Comment

Working...
                            X