banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Amp for Hard Rock/Metal under $300?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Amp for Hard Rock/Metal under $300?

Ok, so before you go and say "$300!!, you'll never get anything truly gig-worthy with that", I just wanna clarify I'm not against buying used. In fact, I'm pretty sure anything new in this range will just be a practice amp. So, that being said, I'm looking for some suggestions you all may have on amplifiers CLOSE to the 300 dollar range. Prefferably, I'd spend no more than $250, but really, all I'm asking for are basic suggestions. You guys suggest the amps, and I'll do the price hunting on my own. My current amp is a Fender Mustang 1 v2. I've used fuse to get some pretty remarkable tones with this thing. (I bet if I showed you a mic'ed recording, you'd never guess the amp.) I'm not saying this to brag. I'm saying this because for what it is, the Mustang is a very versatile little amp, and hopefully whatever I upgrade to will be versatile too. I'm not a fan of 1 trick pony amps. That being said, my style is a basic fusion of classic rock and modern hard rock/metal. I love the rhythm tone of Anberlin personally, as well as Theory of a deadman. For my mustang, I use a 60's tube simulated amp model, cranked, and with my Wylde overdrive in the line. I like strong, fat distortion. The kind that doesn't sound too dry or thin when muted... not really sure how else to describe it. Anyways, I'd like something that can take my overdrive well, and utilize the Dragonfire crusaders (Seymour Duncan invader clones) in my guitar for full-powered, grungey tone.
    Amps I've been considering are:

- Peavey Bandit 112 (Got to play the newest "cyclops" bandit and really liked it, but also curious about the older "USA redstripes")

- Fender Mustang III (Although when I tried it, it didn't sound as good as my mustang stock, and got way too loud too fast)

- Orange Micro Dark

- Randall RVC 5 watt tube amp (But I've never played one, so I'm not sure)

-Line6 Flextone II (Liked the sound, but the one I played was busted. 0.o)

If you have any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate them. Thanks so much for reading my rant, and have a great day.

Re: Best Amp for Hard Rock/Metal under $300?

Do you plan on gigging with it? Or playing with a drummer? My favorite budget amp is the Marshall VS100. 60/100 watts, 1x12 speaker, pure Marshall tone and decent spring reverb. I had one for years and just sold it to make room. Aceman also plays one and swears by it. It is a very warm sounding amp with great built in gain and tons of headroom. It also delivers beautiful cleans. I paid around $225 for mine I think Ace got his even cheaper.

Comment

Can't you get those Peavey, 6505 1x12 combos, for about $300 used? The one I played in a shop sounded fantastic!

Comment

I do plan to gig with it alongside a drummer. He has a heavy hand too, so it should be pretty loud. I've been using his 1997 peavey transfex pro212s and that's been great. That's why I was looking at the red strip bandit. Sheffield speakers.

Comment

I can't find a used 6505 combo for under 300 anywhere. Think that was some huge luck.

Comment

I can't find one right now, but just a few years ago, you could get those combos new, for like $399. They seem to have doubled in price since then.

The Blues JRs seem to have done the same thing.

Comment

Of the amps I have above... any thoughts?

Comment

I like the idea of a marshall. Really love the tone, plus it's the choice amp for Theory of a Deadman, Anberlin, Rise Against, FFDP... heck, there's so many bands that love em. I was interested in the mg series, but EVERYONE I talked to said "Don't get an mg. They break like nothing else." is this true? And are the valvestates much better?

Comment

Can't say I have any experience with any of those, sorry.

If you are looking to play in a band, a tube amp is my best suggestion, they just sound better the more you push them.

Have you thought about an older amp than can be coerced into what you looking for, using EQs and stomp boxes? I know for a fact you can get a 90's 5150, 2x12 combo, for close to your budget, if not for your budget. It doesn't take much for those things to slay. I'd take one in a heartbeat, if I was looking to gig.

Comment

I'm absolutely open to older stuff. Like I said, the transfex was from 97, but it sounded awesome. I have a Wylde overdrive pedal. (The original Zakk Wylde design) I would hope that anything I get would tolerate this pedal. I usually dial in a lower-grunge, less output sound, then use the overdrive to boost the mids and top for that growl. If an amp sounds good like that, it passes for me. Though the price of maintaining a tube amp kinda scares me. I'm in college, and don't want to spend too much.

Comment

Originally posted by EuphoriX View Post
                      I do plan to gig with it alongside a drummer. He has a heavy hand too, so it should be pretty loud. I've been using his 1997 peavey transfex pro212s and that's been great. That's why I was looking at the red strip bandit. Sheffield speakers.
                      If you get a Peavey, look for one with Black Widow speakers.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Gosh those 5150 combos look so awesome. 450 dollars and up though.

Comment

Used Peavey Valve King, 112s are fairly easy to find under $300 and occasionally 212s, also Jet City JCA22 12 is a great amp that with some searching can be found in your price range. Another one that I saw a pair of on GC'S used page that I've always felt was underated is the Carvin XV 212
                          sigpic
                          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Any of you more experienced guitar folk know of better places to look for gear online? I've bought a takamine off guitar center before and I liked the way that went, so I've been checking GC, reverb, craigslist, and ebay. Even found a bandit up in Canada and a guy was gonna check if he could ship it to me. Never heard back... guess he's too busy playing hockey and eating maple syrup.

... Not to hate on Canada. Canada's awesome, and the maple syrup really is "that" good.
                            Last edited by EuphoriX; 01-11-2016, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I've seen the valvekings and got to play 2. First one was older and sounded nice. Second one was a new version and sounded awful, and was really hard to mix. I was surprised. Any idea how long those tubes last anyways?

Comment

Working...
                              X