banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Amp for Hard Rock/Metal under $300?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Amp for Hard Rock/Metal under $300?

That XV's pretty steep for me. Any experience with that sx-100 though? And not to be rude, but to all of Carvin's amps have carpet? Looks pretty strange. Guess I could use it in my dorm as a chair though. XD

Comment

Oh man! I forgot about the Carvin X100B. Killer amp for the money! Those can be had for dirt cheap. I had version 4, I think, just last year. I scored it used for $350. Had a great clean, and several gain switching options. I remember it being a swiss army knife, as far as amps go. Very Mesa'ish in the higher gain department.

Edit: I can't even find one of those for a good price, right now. Amps have jumped in price over the past year.
      Last edited by Drano Max; 01-11-2016, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I'd certianly like a good recto tone. This is gonna flame some people, but another guitar tone I actually like a lot is Nickelback's rhythm... which I believe is driven by a mesa dual recto.

---Not to say I wanna be the next Nickelback.. I'd like to avoid the tumbleweed hairstyle and lyrics full of mindless debauchery.. Just like the dual rec tone.
        Last edited by EuphoriX; 01-11-2016, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EuphoriX View Post
          I'd certianly like a good recto tone. This is gonna flame some people, but another guitar tone I actually like a lot is Nickelback's rhythm... which I believe is driven by a mesa dual recto.

---Not to say I wanna be the next Nickelback.. I'd like to avoid the tumbleweed hairstyle and lyrics full of mindless debauchery.. Just like the dual rec tone.
          Single Rectos are getting a lot cheaper, I've seen a couple under $500 (I know it's above your limit).

As for the Valvestate amps, I melted three of them. They were all first year production though, never saw a problem with later models.

Used Jet City 50 watt amps should be pretty close to your budget too. I would keep an eye out for one of them.
          Last edited by chadd; 01-11-2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Specifically which jet city models? Cause it seems like most of them are for blues.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              Do you plan on gigging with it? Or playing with a drummer? My favorite budget amp is the Marshall VS100. 60/100 watts, 1x12 speaker, pure Marshall tone and decent spring reverb. I had one for years and just sold it to make room. Aceman also plays one and swears by it. It is a very warm sounding amp with great built in gain and tons of headroom. It also delivers beautiful cleans. I paid around $225 for mine I think Ace got his even cheaper.
              What do you make of this?

Comment

By the way, no one has experience with the Randall RVC? It's also known as the RD5C, and from what I hear, it's an amazing little tuber. Would be my first Tube amp, haha.

Comment

Specifically which jet city models? Cause it seems like most of them are for blues.
                  JCA50 would probably be what you're looking for.

Comment

Most blues guys I know wouldn't touch a Jet City amp, they don't want anywhere near that much gain. The 50 watt head or combo is great for rock stuff and would be good enough for some types of metal with a boost on the front end.

Comment

By the way, no one has experience with the Randall RVC? It's also known as the RD5C, and from what I hear, it's an amazing little tuber. Would be my first Tube amp, haha.
                      I have the little RD1H, that I use for recording. I love that amp! It's not loud at all, but the recorded tones are great. The 5 watter shouldn't be too different, unless it's one of the Pre-Fortin releases.

I believe, though I could be wrong, that the RVC was a release specific to MF, or Guitar Center. I'll have to look around a little, but if it was that amp, it is not a Fortin tweaked or designed amp. The later Fortin tweaked amps do seem to get more appreciation than the others. Mike Fortin can work magic on an amp.

Comment

GC Used should have a great selection of Bandits
                        Figure in $100 for a speaker change
                        Most are there because of the crappy speakers
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

To add mud to the waters, I picked up a 70s Peavey Classic VT for $200 a couple of months ago. Great cleans and loves distortion pedals. From what I read, it has the same solid state preamp circuit as the Peavey Mace that Lynyrd Skynyrd (and pretty much every Southern Rock band) used.

In fact, the Classic(of that era, different from Classics that followed), Heritage, Deuce, and Mace all shared that circuit with different wattage/ # of output tubes. My Classic VT is 50 Watts and while still very loud, is the most modest of the bunch.

If you had to put another $100 in for a re-cap/cleaning you'd still be in budget and speaking for myself it's a great sounding classic rock amp that can easily be driven into heavy distortion.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

That is not a bad little amp for the price. I have never played one I had the VS but for the money why not? Are you in MA? That amp is in Natick.

Comment

So, I reached a decision, and bought a used Peavey RedStripe USA made Bandit for $139 on guitar center with $30 shipping. I was strongly considering this one, (Because like the transfex... sheffields) but this video sold me... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4nOF9zXadM
                              I will let you all know how it turns out. Thank you for the suggestions.

Comment

Blackstar HT40
                                Originally posted by grumptruck
                                No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                                Originally posted by Gear Used
                                PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                                Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                                Gurus 5015
                                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                                Pedalboard

Comment

Working...
                                X