banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Amp for Hard Rock/Metal under $300?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Amp for Hard Rock/Metal under $300?

At the end of the day you can play hard rock and metal on any amp. I ran a hard rock/metal club for years and would see every amp in the world come through the doors. It was usually the guys that didn't use JCM800's that had the best tones and stood out in the crowd. When you have 5 bands a night and every guitarist has a JCM800, Charvel and a RAT, the guy with the different tone is typically the one that stands out.

Comment

You can indeed play on any amp. (that functions, haha). But I wanted something in particular with a lot of saturation and beef when muting and playing chords. Distortion is one thing, and can be done easily with a pedal... but that meaty fullness in the tone... that's what I like.

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
        Blackstar HT40
        There's no way you could get an HT40 for under $250.

Comment

Originally posted by EuphoriX View Post
          There's no way you could get an HT40 for under $250.
          I got mine for $300
          Originally posted by grumptruck
          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
          Originally posted by Gear Used
          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

Why not save up, sell some gear if needed and get a solid, gig worth amp in the $400 - $500 range?
            Originally posted by grumptruck
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Originally posted by Gear Used
            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

Jett city. Amp circuits designed by Mike Soldano who is famous for his hard rock tones. The Valvestate would be a good choice too for a good tube like tone. Old Carvin x100 as mentioned. If you can put together a tiny bit more bread, 5150.
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

You should take more time, save more money and get something decent.
                Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                PRS McCarty STD
                '71 Gibson SG Custom
                Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                Vox AD15VT

Comment

Just got a JCA50 (Jet City 50 watt 1x12 combo) for $300 plus tax. Sounds just like a hot-rodded Marshall.

It could to blues, but you'd have to be very disciplined with the gain knob....

Larry

Comment

+1 on the Carvins, I'm not an expert but they definitely get love. For SS, I'd look at Randall, the Dimebag Darrell amp. I think the RG80 is pretty new/pretty good. One of the models had a few sketchy reviews (maaaybe the rg75). It's probably my first choice for solid state, I wouldn't be interested in the Bandit for what I seem them selling for, but Peavey did make some tube amps before the 5150 and other killers. Hunt around, you'll find things. Jet City and Bugera both have 50-120 want amps for cheap. I have to guess they'd all work for rock and metal. I'd love to get several amps, and by coincidence, most of them are $300 or less right now.

Comment

Responding directly to the original question, I've never found such an amp. When my band was ready to do shows I spent about $800AUD on a Randall halfstack which was much cheaper than anything else that fit the bill at the time and did the job wonderfully. I definitely wouldn't have gone with anything cheaper because it just wouldn't have cut the mustard. If you look at this sub-forum you will find many threads asking a very similar question and while I admire their thriftiness, you're just not going thousand dollar amp sounds with pocket change unless you luck out on the used market or there are some killer specials going on. I have never paid retail price for my high end amplifiers.

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      At the end of the day you can play hard rock and metal on any amp. I ran a hard rock/metal club for years and would see every amp in the world come through the doors. It was usually the guys that didn't use JCM800's that had the best tones and stood out in the crowd. When you have 5 bands a night and every guitarist has a JCM800, Charvel and a RAT, the guy with the different tone is typically the one that stands out.
                      This is true. You've just got to get out there, play some guitar and find something you like. Some of your favourite sounds from your favourite albums were concocted on shoestring budgets before the bands could afford the top of the line amplifiers.
                      Last edited by El Dunco; 01-18-2016, 02:26 AM.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

RVC is not very loud. If you mic it you will get the tone for recording though
                        Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                        http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

get an orange micro dark and spend more on a nice cab
                          Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                          http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Working...
                          X