banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Gain 50 Watter for under $1k used for rock to metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Gain 50 Watter for under $1k used for rock to metal?

So, I love my Allston amps and they cover a ton of tones, but I think I'd like to have a head on hand for the occasions for rock and metal tones... I'd like to get something of quality and good reliability and am open to getting something used. I've been looking into Blackstar Series heads, Peavey XXX II heads and even the JSX head (I'd pull two tubes from the power section). I'd love to get that modified marshall kind of sound and would like to get something with a decent clean tone for when it is needed. ANy suggestions or ideas?
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Re: High Gain 50 Watter for under $1k used for rock to metal?

bat cat cougar 50. two channel 50w with reverb. the gain channel is very tweakable and has tons of gain

Comment

Peavey uh? How about Ceriatone?

Comment

I would think either the 5150III 50w or the smaller Peavey 6505MH would be perfect. Those have great tones for metal and rock.
        Originally posted by Rockstar216
        Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

I also just had the thought about getting a different preamp to run through the power amp of either of these amps, that are fitted with 6l6s. This could be more affordable and be an easier foot print for taking u space? AMT electronics makes some cool pieces it seems. It doesn't need to be over the top, but something that can do well with a cover gig that's anything from ZZ top to Dio, you know?
          Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
          Ibanez RG1570 Custom
          PRS McCarty STD
          '71 Gibson SG Custom
          Bogner Alchemist 2x12
          Vox AD15VT

Comment

Jet City, maybe.

Comment

I see plenty of 50w Mesa Single Rectifiers on CL for around $600. Usually go for around $7-800 on eBay. Having enough gain is not an issue there and it has plenty of tonal versatility. I run mine through a 2x12 closed back cab w/ V30's and it sounds huge, even at low volumes. Put a good OD in front and it gets even better. I'm using the Richie Kotzen OMG in front and it sounds great.

Comment

This is where Guitar Center's used gear page is your friend. Lots of Mesa Single Rectifiers, EH 5150 III (50w), Orange AD30s, and a few Marshall JVM 205s, VHT Pitt bull 45s, and I saw an Engle Fireball 60, and Orange Rockerverb 50. Lots of options
                sigpic
                Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

yes, GCs used inventory is a solid option. I always have the item shipped to my local GC, because it is right next to my office in Boston. That way if it shows up damaged/DOA or doesn't show at all, I am not a variable in the equation and it's a good CYA move.
                  Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                  Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                  PRS McCarty STD
                  '71 Gibson SG Custom
                  Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                  Vox AD15VT

Comment

For someone who owned multiple Marshalls (JCM 2000 DSL & TSL, JTM), Carvins (Legacy, X100B), Mesas (Rectoverb, Tremoverb), Randalls (Rm50, Rm100), VHT Deliverance sixty, Jet City, Peavy XXX, Peavy 5150, amongst a few more, I honestly prefer my BLACKSTAR over all those.
                    Originally posted by grumptruck
                    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                    Originally posted by Gear Used
                    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                    Mesa Stiletto Ace
                    Gurus 5015
                    Mesa Widebody 1X12
                    Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by DMR View Post
                      I see plenty of 50w Mesa Single Rectifiers on CL for around $600. Usually go for around $7-800 on eBay. Having enough gain is not an issue there and it has plenty of tonal versatility. I run mine through a 2x12 closed back cab w/ V30's and it sounds huge, even at low volumes. Put a good OD in front and it gets even better. I'm using the Richie Kotzen OMG in front and it sounds great.
                      This. I bought my rectoverb series 1 head for 600$ shipped and I'm in Canada, so I'm guessing you could find better deals still for those 50W rectifiers, both single rectos and rectoverbs. They're great for what you require. IMHO of course.

Comment

90's era 5150 . . . it is a NO BRAINER !
                        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by DMR View Post
                          Great amps, running them with EL34s (series 2 single rectifier) or through a cab with greenbacks will get you even more of the hot rod Marshall feel.

Comment

I see used Marshall DSL 50s going for $600 all the time around here. It may not be the best option, but it's solid, capable, and inexpensive.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

NOT the 1st amp you think of when you think Metal, but even the Vintage Modern can do metal-like tones if you want it too.

GREAT Hard Rock amp though !
                              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
                              X