banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Gain 50 Watter for under $1k used for rock to metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High Gain 50 Watter for under $1k used for rock to metal?

I can't think of a better amp for what you want than the 5150 III.

Comment

JSX, you can buy one for half that, no need to pull power tubes, it has a 50% power switch. Also you can run 6L6 or EL34/KT77s, killer classic crunch to high gain. Or an original UK made JCM 2000 50w, you can find them for $5-600..Maiden's guitarists still use them...so does Jeff Beck, so can definitely do classic to high gain..
      Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
      Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
      Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
      Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

VHT Pitbull CL 50watt head can be had for very close to 1K !!!
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ View Post
          So, I love my Allston amps and they cover a ton of tones, but I think I'd like to have a head on hand for the occasions for rock and metal tones... I'd like to get something of quality and good reliability and am open to getting something used. I've been looking into Blackstar Series heads, Peavey XXX II heads and even the JSX head (I'd pull two tubes from the power section). I'd love to get that modified marshall kind of sound and would like to get something with a decent clean tone for when it is needed. ANy suggestions or ideas?
          I swear I was going to say get a XXX and pull 2 tubes
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

If you look into the Peaveys, remember:

3120 = XXX (original, was to be George Lynch's first signature amp with Peavey, the Penta was to be the second, but Lynch split again!)

XXX II = JSX

Butcher = JSX 50 (never released as Joe switched to Marshall right at the time the amp was being readied for release, another great amp though, and is 100w with a half power switch as well, listen to Chickenfoot's first album. Everything that is kind of mid gain, crunchy, was recorded with it, the higher gain stuff like Avenida and Soap on a Rope...original JSX (120w).
            Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)

Comment

Originally posted by soulforger View Post
              If you look into the Peaveys, remember:

3120 = XXX (original, was to be George Lynch's first signature amp with Peavey, the Penta was to be the second, but Lynch split again!)

XXX II = JSX

Butcher = JSX 50 .

WOW . . . i never knew that !

I thought it is a brand new amp, all on it's own !
              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

The only thing they did as far as I know other than cosmetics, were to make it 100w with a half power switch, and ship it with EL34, the JSX 50 was to ship with 6550s. You can still pull up Musicians Friend's page for it with specs by searching JSX 50..
                All are killer amps though for sure!

Comment

The Penta was to be called the Brahma, they've since re-released it as a Gary Rossington signature. Original Pentas could be picked up for a song too sometimes, if you can find one, another great amp with awesome James Brown goodness, in this price range used as well, would be the Kustom Double Cross.

Comment

Working...
                  X