Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Mark Tones on a Budget

Hi!

I'm looking for a new amplifier and have really been interested in Mesa Boogie amps. I don't want a high gain amp like a Dual Rec because I'm just not into that type of music. Particularly, I like the tones of the Mark series with their Fender cleans to creamy Santana drives. The only problem is they are all super expensive!

Are there any amps the Boogie or perhaps a different manufacturer makes or made that get these diverse, versatile, great tones while staying under ~USD $600 used street price? I play blues, jazz, fusion, and some rock and would like an amp that has seperate eqs for the clean and gain channel in order to be able to change channels in a gig without having to go dial up a different setting.

Thanks!

Re: Mesa Boogie Mark Tones on a Budget

Mesa Mark on a budget !
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Used Studio 22?

Comment

I see used Mark IIIs going for around $800-900 pretty frequently, but a $600 budget makes things a bit more difficult. At that price point you could probably find a .50 Caliber or a Studio .22 Plus; I'd avoid the regular Studio .22 as you can't really use both channels at the same time due to a lack of a lead master control. I haven't looked at used prices, but Fender Supersonics get similar tones without being insanely expensive.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
          I see used Mark IIIs going for around $800-900 pretty frequently, but a $600 budget makes things a bit more difficult. At that price point you could probably find a .50 Caliber or a Studio .22 Plus; I'd avoid the regular Studio .22 as you can't really use both channels at the same time due to a lack of a lead master control. I haven't looked at used prices, but Fender Supersonics get similar tones without being insanely expensive.
          22+ local to me just popped up on craigslist for $500 today. Patience is the key for searches like this.

Comment

Sorry to Hijack the thread, but I'm considering looking for a used studio 22 or express 5:25 the (markv25 just seems too much ie too complicated too many knobs)
            Like the OP for blackface esque cleans & boogie lead sustain (can you get a nice crunch with either channel using vol knob on the guitar?)
            I am worried that mesa say I shouldn't put my boss pedals in the loop though (ph2,tr2 & dm3)
            Anyone have any experience of either of these?

Comment

Originally posted by regan View Post
              Sorry to Hijack the thread, but I'm considering looking for a used studio 22 or express 5:25 the (markv25 just seems too much ie too complicated too many knobs)
              Like the OP for blackface esque cleans & boogie lead sustain (can you get a nice crunch with either channel using vol knob on the guitar?)
              I am worried that mesa say I shouldn't put my boss pedals in the loop though (ph2,tr2 & dm3)
              Anyone have any experience of either of these?
              I'm not familiar with the Express, but I'm familiar with both the Studio .22 and the Plus. The original Studio .22 was designed for recording only, and it isn't possible to balance the volume of both channels so you can only use one at a time. The Studio .22+ addressed the problem by adding a lead master control. I tried the original Express (not the new version) when it first came out and didn't care for it, so I haven't tried one since.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Have any of these companies that Bugera ripped off ever taken them to court, or does Bugera change the circuit just enough to avoid that?

Comment

Originally posted by DMR View Post
                  Have any of these companies that Bugera ripped off ever taken them to court, or does Bugera change the circuit just enough to avoid that?

I belie there is a massive loop-hole in the system, and they get away with it that way.

Also, afaik, Bugera ''head office'' is in Germany.
                  And we know modern-day Germans. They will NOT do something unless it is been thoroughly planed, re-thinked and gone over with a fine tooth comb.
                  Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

A Fender type clean amp and a Mesa Flux Five OD/Distortion pedal.
                    sigpic
                    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                      A Fender type clean amp and a Mesa Flux Five OD/Distortion pedal.
                      As the owner of a 68 Bassman, a Mesa Flux Five, and a Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, I would say that this is a great suggestion if you already have an amp with good cleans and need to stick to your budget.

But honestly, I think you're better off saving up for a Mark II/III combo. I see Mark IIs under 800 all the time. Mark IIIs are a bit more expensive, but they can be had under a grand.

Honestly, it's really worth it. Mesa amps are ****ing fantastic.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                        I belie there is a massive loop-hole in the system, and they get away with it that way.

Also, afaik, Bugera ''head office'' is in Germany.
                        And we know modern-day Germans. They will NOT do something unless it is been thoroughly planed, re-thinked and gone over with a fine tooth comb.
                        A bit like what Volkswagen have done? haha

Comment

Originally posted by DMR View Post
                          Circuits are patented and patents expire (unlike trademarks).

It goes both ways. I see a lot of amp patents that are too trivial to be valid patents but since it's only musical instruments and not a real industry they slip by the $8/hour clerks.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                            I own 2 Boogies that might fit the bill at that price point.
                            If you don't need a huge amount of stage volume the little Subway rockets would be a great choice. Really solid performing little amp and mine is definitely a keeper.
                            Can be bought for $450- 550 in nice shape if you really look. I paid $450 for mine ( had owned this particular amp almost 20 years ago and found it in a local shop after the guy I traded it to sold it).
                            You might also look at a .50 cal +. I have a really clean .50+ head I might consider selling ( have 2 heads one must go so--) in the $550 range with a DTF cover. If your interested hit me with a PM.
                            Would rather sell my other head ( Peavey ULTRA +) as it's SO blasted heavy but---.
                            The Supersonics are nice amps but don't really sound to much like the Boogies (owned 2 of them BTW) now a Fender Prosonic DOES have a similar vibe if tubed and set up right!
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I have also seen a few Son of Boogies for $500-600, you'd need an a/b box to change from clean to OD, and it doesn't have eq for both channels, but it would get real close for those Mk 1 Santana tones
                              sigpic
                              Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Working...
                              X