Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa Boogie Mark Tones on a Budget

Mesa DC-5.
    All the tones are in there. Clean channel based on MKI and lead channel based on MK4.
    Plus you get the classic mesa 5 band eq.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Dual Rectifiers are definitely not just high gain metal amps. They are incredibly versatile and the tube rectification is actually a callback to very early amp designs. A folk band I am producing an album for recorded some layers of guitar using the vintage, low gain sounds of the orange channel that fit in wonderfully. I strongly suggest trying one out with the vintage gain channels, spongy mode and tube rectification engaged. When it comes to guitar amplifiers, you get what you pay for and with the money you would spend accumulating cheap gear trying to squeeze the sounds you want out of it, it's much more worth it to explore the used amplifier market.
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by regan View Post
        A bit like what Volkswagen have done? haha

And i am still a PROUD (and happy) VW owner.

http://www.motorstown.com/images/vol...ti-golf-08.jpg <---- not mine, but very similar
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
          And i am still a PROUD (and happy) VW owner.

http://www.motorstown.com/images/vol...ti-golf-08.jpg <---- not mine, but very similar
          I'd have a VW in a heartbeat too, but the point is they've left themselves wide open to litigious action with their emissions figures,simply being a German company does not guarantee all i's are dotted & t's crossed
          Last edited by regan; 01-18-2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I'd have a VW in a heartbeat too, but the point is they've left themselves wide open to litigious action with their emissions figures,simply being a German company does not guarantee all i's are dotted & t's crossed
            Yep sorta like what Mercedes did in the mid 90's with using the 3 biodegradable self destructing eco JUNK underhood wiring harness they did on $50,000 + cars.

Ask me how i know-

Last edited by Ascension; 01-18-2016, 09:49 PM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Interesting how there are about 9000 shades of "modded Marshall" under the sun, but if you want to get a Mesa sound, you pretty much need a Mesa.

Comment

Sorry to Hijack the thread, but I'm considering looking for a used studio 22 or express 5:25 the (markv25 just seems too much ie too complicated too many knobs)
                Like the OP for blackface esque cleans & boogie lead sustain (can you get a nice crunch with either channel using vol knob on the guitar?)
                I am worried that mesa say I shouldn't put my boss pedals in the loop though (ph2,tr2 & dm3)
                Anyone have any experience of either of these?

I've never had ANY problem running pedals in the loop of any of my Mesas. Delays, pitch shifter, tremolo...but I run my PH-1r into the input.

And I don't get the "too many knobs" comment about Mesas. Jeez, people...got a smart phone? A computer? A car? A pedal board with more than two pedals? I'm no Einstein, but I can figure it out. And the Mark 5:25 was maybe the easiest of all--I had both channels producing great tones in under five minutes. I jam with a guy who has about 1.2 acres of pedals, spends HOURS (if not DAYS) setting it up and tweaking them, yet he constantly rails against my amps because they are "TOO COMPLICATED!" He's defeated before he even starts because of his attitude. I won't let things like this beat me.

And his tone is okay, but to me it's a little flat and blah, and not as organic as my amps. He plays a Hot Rod Fender, and it's been in the shop so many times, he easily could have afforded a pro-quality amp.

So, keep an open mind. I've used a Mesa amp since about 1994, and couldn't be happier, but I know that they're not for everyone or every situation. But if they interest you, don't let a few extra knobs and a defeatist attitude stop you from trying one or two.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                  I've never had ANY problem running pedals in the loop of any of my Mesas. Delays, pitch shifter, tremolo...but I run my PH-1r into the input.
                  Bill
                  Same here Bill. In fact I always run my 2 Boogies with time effects in the loops like digital verbs , Delays and Chorus and don't care so much for the crunch tones of these amps WITHOUT effects!!
                  Boogies are well know to be very effects friendly amps it's sort of like the Duncan/Dimarzio thing. Duncans / with few effects and Marshalls for more the purest tube tones Boogies effects and Dimarzios for a more high tec tone.
                  I run both set ups depending on the gig.
                  Last edited by Ascension; 01-18-2016, 10:19 PM.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Mercedes shouldn't be taken as a typical example of German car engineering for reliability. They had... unusual... patterns during long periods of time.

I take a honest BMW leaking coolant twice a year or a Porsche blowing up the engine with the IMS bearing failing any time over those stunts that Mercedes pulled.

Comment

Carvin X100B. The new one. Version 4, I think.

That is a very underrated amp. Very Mark, like.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
                        Interesting how there are about 9000 shades of "modded Marshall" under the sun, but if you want to get a Mesa sound, you pretty much need a Mesa.
                        To hand build/hand wire a Super Lead / Bass, JCM800, JTM45 is easy for a reputable amp builder.

But trying to hand build/hand wire a Mesa Road King, or even a Mesa MK5 . . . well, i dont think it is possible.
                        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

And I don't get the "too many knobs" comment about Mesas. Jeez, people...got a smart phone? A computer? A car?

A pedal board with more than two pedals? I'm no Einstein, but I can figure it out. And the Mark 5:25 was maybe the easiest of all--I had both channels producing great tones in under five minutes.
                          I jam with a guy who has about 1.2 acres of pedals, spends HOURS (if not DAYS) setting it up and tweaking them, yet he constantly rails against my amps because they are "TOO COMPLICATED!"
                          He's defeated before he even starts because of his attitude. I won't let things like this beat me.

And his tone is okay, but to me it's a little flat and blah, and not as organic as my amps. He plays a Hot Rod Fender, and it's been in the shop so many times, he easily could have afforded a pro-quality amp.

So, keep an open mind. I've used a Mesa amp since about 1994, and couldn't be happier, but I know that they're not for everyone or every situation. But if they interest you, don't let a few extra knobs and a defeatist attitude stop you from trying one or two.

Bill

That makes two of us Bill !

Comment

And I don't get the "too many knobs" comment about Mesas. Jeez, people...got a smart phone? A computer? A car? A pedal board with more than two pedals? I'm no Einstein, but I can figure it out. And the Mark 5:25 was maybe the easiest of all--I had both channels producing great tones in under five minutes. I jam with a guy who has about 1.2 acres of pedals, spends HOURS (if not DAYS) setting it up and tweaking them, yet he constantly rails against my amps because they are "TOO COMPLICATED!" He's defeated before he even starts because of his attitude. I won't let things like this beat me.

Bill
                            Perhaps too complicated was a poor choice of phrase it's not so much theres too many knobs for me to figure out, more that I can't stop meddling, & the more controls on the amp the less time I spend on the guitar.
                            I asked about the fx loop because in the express manual it recomends rack mount fx only in the loop, I'm not a fan of multi fx for the reasons above & like to have only 2-3 pedals max, most pedals sound ok in front of the amp except delay

Comment

Mesa DC-5–Clean channel of a Mark series and Gain channel of a Rectifier. Great amp and can be found used for that figure

Comment

Here's a few that might work:

The DC-2, -3, -5. As suggested above. Killer amps, I have a -3 combo and with my matching 112 EVM Thiele cab, there's very few styles or venues I can't cover. There's also a 100- watt DC-10.

NOMAD series was the next-gen of the Dual Calibre amps, with three channels. Gain channels can be a little fizzy, but I see club guys use these amps all the time and they sound pretty good. The 45 and the rare 100-watt 112s are my favs.

F-SERIES amps have a Fender BF-based preamp in the clean channel, yet the drive channel still sings like a Mesa. Another great club amp for classic rock, blues or country; these are one of the simplest Mesa amps to set-up.

Maverick, Heartbreaker, Trem-o-verb, Stiletto Ace and Lonestars will be available will be available in the $700-1,000 range. Stiletto has a definite Marshall flavor. Heartbreaker is close to a Fender and a Marshall in the same cab. Maverick is Class A and probably has the least gain in the drive channel. I have the 212 combo, and it will get AC-30, Twin and Plexi tones. And I push the LEAD channel with a boost, and it will sing like a Mark Series. Trem-o-verb is another amp that can cop the vibe of several other amps. A real classic.

Mark IV's will run a little more, but they have tremendous versatility, especially in controlling the power amp. I love my Mark IV. You should be able to find a Mark II-B in your price range, but I prefer the Mark III. I have a red, a blue and a no-stripe Coliseum head. If you get a III, try to find one that is "loaded"--EQ, REV, EVM, and Simul-Class. Most guys will only use two channels live, but if you find the sweet spot all three channels are very usable. Use the recommended settings and you WILL have great tones. My only nit with the III is that the reverb is a little weak, but since I don't do much "surf", it's fine for what I do.

The .22 and the .50 Calibres are not my favorites for live use, but in the studio they work very well. The + models are better live, but the shared controls require some compromise. My III's also share controls, but with the AUTO EQ and the PULL SHIFT controls, it's easier to dial in tones and move between single coil and 2HB guitars.

I've also bought a Mark V combo that I use with a 112 V-30 Wide-Body cab, and recently bought a Mark V:25 mini stack. The mini was incredibly easy to set up. The big Mark V is definitely more complicated. Dialled in the Clean channel instantly, but the Crunch and Lead channels have made me work harder to find EXACT tones. BUT...all the settings I've tried sound really good. Each channel has three modes, and each channel can go from 10--45--90 watts. So it's really like having 27 different amps. It does take time and commitment to suss it out, but it's worth it...I'm really digging the tones.

Bill
                                Last edited by Boogie Bill; 01-20-2016, 05:02 PM.
                                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                                X