No announcement yet.

For those that were curious: Seymour Duncan Parchment + Kiwi Brown Shoe Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those that were curious: Seymour Duncan Parchment + Kiwi Brown Shoe Polish

Equals not a bad looking shade of "cream". For reference, the trembucker on the left is a '78 model.

Before:

After:

I would say it took me about 3-4 coats to get that tint. I did a pretty sloppy job initially, but recovered (at least IMO).

Word of advice; work on a practice cover beforehand. Try to work one bobbin at a time, apply even coats, and lightly dab the polish on your cloth. I put too much on the cloth at first. Sounds redundant, but I'm going to try to avoid my initial hiccup when or if I tint the neck humbucker.

Re: For those that were curious: Seymour Duncan Parchment + Kiwi Brown Shoe Polish

Pretty nice. Did you have to avoid using it over the logo? Also what pickup is the one you did another 78? Where did you get one with black nickel screws and slugs? Seems I'm seeing more of these on this forum lately and would wish this was a standard no cost option on new Duncans.

Comment

Re: For those that were curious: Seymour Duncan Parchment + Kiwi Brown Shoe Polish

Great job! Should help those who can't stand DMZs claim to double cream.

Comment

^ Thanks, seems to work on other hardware. Just try to avoid imperfections if possible. They'll color "red brown" instead.

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
        Pretty nice. Did you have to avoid using it over the logo? Also what pickup is the one you did another 78? Where did you get one with black nickel screws and slugs? Seems I'm seeing more of these on this forum lately and would wish this was a standard no cost option on new Duncans.
        I didn't avoid the logo. The practice cover was for a seymour duncan strat *pickup and I got it with a logo for that reason. The silver doesn't seem to fade or turn color when the polish is applied. The hardest area to tint is between the polepieces and the slugs.

The pickup next to the '78 is a custom shop order, which is why I'm unsure if I'll tint the neck. I'm *not going to lie, it was ballsy - or stupid - of me to attempt that on a custom shop order. By the way, I'm pretty sure that black slugs/screws are standard options, but they mostly appear on the nazgul or black winter pickups. Ask a dealer to order you a floor shop custom. I had to order a nazgul without the black slugs/screws because I wanted to make a hybrid. The black hardware should be standard at no cost, but you'll have to wait for the order to be fulfilled. I can refer you to the eBay dealer that I used for the nazgul.
        Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 01-15-2016, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for posting this. Bookmarking this for future reference.

Comment

Did you have to scuff the plastic first with steel wool or something?

Looks really good.
            Hot Rails unbranded
            SD Pearly Gates
            J Screamin Demon
            JBJ
            DiM Super Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
              The black hardware should be standard at no cost, but you'll have to wait for the order to be fulfilled. I can refer you to the eBay dealer that I used for the nazgul.
              Was the seller phantom_48? I did buy a few sets of Shop Floor Custom pickups last year from him and I had him add the black nickel screws/poles and I think it was a little extra upcharge IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzin_Cousin View Post
                Did you have to scuff the plastic first with steel wool or something?

Looks really good.
                Thanks. I didn't have any wool on hand, so no. I'll try this on the white cover and report back within a day or so. Sounds like a good idea.

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
                Was the seller phantom_48? I did buy a few sets of Shop Floor Custom pickups last year from him and I had him add the black nickel screws/poles and I think it was a little extra upcharge IIRC.
                smokeybspickups
                He shipped out my nazgul today. I asked the question for ya. I'll see what he says. If not, you can message him for a quote. Takes about 2-3 days to respond.

*update: He said no charge for black slugs/screws
                Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 01-15-2016, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Dont use steel wool. Pickups have magnets in them making the little hairs that fall off want to stick. If it gets into the windings it can ruin the coil.

Use mr clean magic eraser instead. It is like ultra fine sandpaper but no residue. It just takes the gloss off, giving the polish something to stick to.
                  “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Working...
                  X