Behringer BDI21 Sound Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer BDI21 Sound Demo

My Behringer BDI21 arrived about a couple of hours or so ago, so I figured I would do a demo for us all. Mind you, this is the first time I've ever played through it. I thre the 9 volt bettery in it, plugged it into my Roland VS-1880, and basically hit record.

I took and used the exact same settings from Tech 21's site for their SansAmp Bass Driver DI.

I am using my new Spector Legend 4 Classic Quilted Purple bass. I have both pickups on and wide open. The treble is wide open, and the bass is at 3/4. I did it that way because that's pretty much always been my settings with an active bass pre.

Now I'm not sure if it's my new bass or this unit, but it I think there is a ton of bass built into this unit. It also has quite a bit of drive/growl as well. I think it's great to have both of those. However, I mostly like a rather clean bass tone for myself, personally.

I'm also surprised at the size of the pedal as well as it's ruggedness. From looking at the pictures of it before I bought it, I thought it was going to be rather large, however, it's around 4" wide x 5" tall, and 1 1/2" thick. I thought it was going to be some cheap plastic, and it is plastic, but I don't think it's going to fall apart unless you treat your gear like crap and throw it around on concrete.

Anyways, for $30, I just don't think you can go wrong with it. I'm not really blown away by the sounds that I used from Tech21, but still, with a little bit of farting around I think some really good bass tones can come out of this unit. It took me just a matter of few seconds to come up with the bass tones on the last two clips of the demo.

I am using a pick, so get over it. I just prefer that sound for what I do. Also, the very first clip is me running through the unit with it OFF. So, that's just the direct sound of my bass, and it's louder than hell compared to the other clips...lol

Once again, here are the settings that I used.

1) 00:00 - 00:41. Straight into the pedal with it off. My direct bass sound.

2) 00:41 - 1:29. Fat Tube

3) 1:29 - 2:25. Bassman Style

4) 2:25 - 3:20. SVT Style

5) 3:20 -4:18. King's X style

6) 4:18 -5:17. Slap

7) 5:17 - 6:09. Reggae

8) 6:09 -7:04. I put everything at 12 o'clock. I think it has a nice Flip Top type sound to it. I like this tone a lot.

9) 7:04 - 8:02. I did some real quick tweaking, and I came up with a tone that I think is "me" for the most part. This sounds like a tone that I would use a lot for my song stylings. drive 12 o'clock, treble 1:30 o'clock, bass 1:30 o'clock, level 12 o'clock, presence 2 0'clock, and blend at 2:30 o'clock.

Anyways...........

Re: Behringer BDI21 Sound Demo

I didn't want to tell Jolly that Behringer sounds like hell; Veiled, anemic, flat. I'm sorry. It totally muted the bypassed tone.
    get the real Sansamp foo!
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Ok.

Comment

Way more character clean!
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I think that the original bass sound has more volume, but that could be remedied with the level control of the pedal. Other than that, I like the way you demo it, good consistent clips. I think you got you $30 bucks worth to say the least. I think it could come in handy.

Comment

Yeah, the original volume is cranked because it's being bypassed, and it doesn't have the level being used. But, like you say, for $30...I think it's hard to go wrong. Especially for someone looking for something cheap to record with.

Comment

Dang straight. It sounds like it does a lot of thing with the midrange. I would turn the bass down just a bit, and like I said, raise the level to achieve unity. Other than that, recording, or using into a house system, heck worse comes to worse, you could just turn it of for solos. I like it.

Comment

I used one of those for two years as a preamp into mixers, for many many gigs as a bass player, from tiny pubs to a packed theater, as long as there were good PA speakers in the house.

I always placed my GE7 in front and tweaked the midrange a bit, since it's a tiny bit flat and scooped on it's own. Or at least it was with the piece of crap bass that I used.

Didn't fail me once and I received lots of complements regarding my tone. I'm sure you'll get great tones from it.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post

Didn't fail me once and I received lots of complements regarding my tone. I'm sure you'll get great tones from it.
                  I'm going to mix it in with my bass tone I get from either my 11 Rack or Bass POD. I'll be using it for my highs and punch.

Comment

I liked the first sound the most. Enough low mids and clarity - reminded me of the bass sound on Peace Sells.

Comment

Working...
                    X