X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Petrucci Sig 2C+ishness

3 Channels and Dual GEQs.

Re: Mesa Petrucci Sig 2C+ishness

ODD, its a Petrucci model, but there is a picture of the Rev with it..... Oh, wait......

Free bonus with purchase, tuition expenses paid for an engineering degree so you can operate it...

Does look interesting. Wish I could spend some time with one. Ive never had the chance to properly dial in a Mesa.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

But no Hetfield sig??

Comment

that looks pretty bad ass

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
          But no Hetfield sig??
          This is, I believe, the first mesa sig model of any kind. Maybe this is the first of more to come. I kinda hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilatvs View Post
            This is, I believe, the first mesa sig model of any kind. Maybe this is the first of more to come. I kinda hope not.
            The King Snake was kind of a signature amp, without it explicitly being a signature amp.

This Petrucci amp addresses a number of the concerns some had with the Mark V. 100w, dual high gain channels, the pull shift mids is back in, midi control. I suspect the metal community will love it, as will the more harder edge rock guys.
            Last edited by some_dude; 01-16-2016, 02:05 PM.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I love the idea, the features. Too bad I don't like the tones of mesa's for distortion.

Comment

NEW! Another amp that won't nail the 2C+ sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
                  But no Hetfield sig??
                  Is he still using Boogies? I know he had a Diezel VH4 added to his system.

And if he is still using Boogies, I believe the amps are stock Tri Recs.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

As far as I know, his main tone is a modded Triaxis in stereo with the Diezel.

Comment

His main rig touring rig the last number of years was a modded TriAxis (on IIC+ mode) and 2:90 in parallel with a Diesel. They did start using AxeFX a couple years ago... not sure if they're still using it or if they've gone back to tubes.

For small one off gigs it was typically a Recto on a 4x12, although the amp he's been dragging to baseball games lately looks like a Stiletto.

The thing with Hetfield is that his tone has long been a blend of amps. He's also very protective of his sound, complete with mods and outboard gear people aren't allowed to talk about.

Petrucci on the other hand has been almost exclusively Mesa so far as I understand, and he's totally cool with telling everyone exactly how to dial in his sound. I believe he's also been involved in helping test prototypes for awhile.
                      Last edited by some_dude; 01-17-2016, 03:22 PM.
                      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                        His main rig touring rig the last number of years was a modded TriAxis (on IIC+ mode) and 2:90 in parallel with a Diesel. They did start using AxeFX a couple years ago... not sure if they're still using it or if they've gone back to tubes.

For small one off gigs it was typically a Recto on a 4x12, although the amp he's been dragging to baseball games lately looks like a Stiletto.

The thing with Hetfield is that his tone has long been a blend of amps. He's also very protective of his sound, complete with mods and outboard gear people aren't allowed to talk about.

Petrucci on the other hand has been almost exclusively Mesa so far as I understand, and he's totally cool with telling everyone exactly how to dial in his sound. I believe he's also been involved in helping test prototypes for awhile.
                        I actually watched the Rig Rundown for Testament where Eric Peterson mentions that he called Kemper and the guy mentioned that Metallica has plenty of profiling amps. I don't know if there are full time amps or if they just use them for certain things, but the fact that they have "like 80 of them" indicates that they might be using them live and in the studio. The quote is around the 5:15 mark.

Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                        Line 6 Helix
                        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Looks cool! Not something I would go for in my current situation, but I'd bet it breathes fire. Not a bedroom amp.

And I don't have any problem re-creating Mark IV tones with my Mark V. And one of the big design goals of the Mark V was to get those IV and IIC+ tones. Doug West is a huge fan of the IIC+ and I'm sure they did everything they could to capture that magic. I've not had a chance to directly compare a V with a IIC+, but I'd bet with matched tubes, speakers, etc., they'd be damn close.

Bill
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Has Mesa not figured out how much money they'd make if they simply re-introduced the IIC+ built as it was back in the 80s? I mean, seriously? If I owned an amp company that made what turned out to be highly sought-after and collectible, with people paying Harvard Tuition money for them, I'd have them meticulously recreated and sold for what I had into 'em and swim to work everyday through all the money I made.

Imagine a real-live Plexi that was for-real identical to the ones everyone masturbates to? For $800 new. You could drop every other amp you make for decades.
                            Originally posted by Brown Note
                            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                            My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                              Has Mesa not figured out how much money they'd make if they simply re-introduced the IIC+ built as it was back in the 80s? I mean, seriously?
                              I've read that the company that made the transformers no longer being in operation or something. A key component to the sound that hasn't been replicated, which is kind of ironic as Master Of Puppets was recorded using a 2C+ slaved into the power section of a Marshall with a whole bunch of studio EQ trickery thrown in.

An elusive tone that even the owners of haven't settled with. Petrucci seems to have been chasing the dragon of an amp he's had for decades. Does Metallica even use theirs anymore? Who else does?
                              Last edited by Animal; 01-19-2016, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X