Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid state vs. Tube amps for metal.

Default Solid state vs. Tube amps for metal.

Hey everyone. I was wondering if I should get an all tube kind of amp (ht-5, Randall dialvo 5, Marshall DSL 5, a few bugera combos, like the 6505 copy. Or maybe a used 5150 combo) or if a solid state type amp would even be worth it. (Randall rx120rh, orange crush pro 60 combo, orange micro terror yes I know it's hybrid) Opinions?
    Last edited by Owwwccchhh; 01-17-2016 at 08:43 AM.

Default Re: Solid state vs. Tube amps for metal.

All of the amps you mentioned are great for metal. Don't shy away from solid state there are some beautiful solid state amps out there. There are classics like Randell and Roland. The newer solid state amps have also made huge ground in tonal improvements. My suggestion would be to head out to some stores (with your guitar) and try a few of them to get a feel for tone and features. What might be my holy grail for metal tones could be the worst crap you ever heard. Your axe, technique and ear all are a huge part of your overall tone.

I don't see a bad amp in the bunch you mentioned, there are no bad choices here.

Just the idea of solid state has put me off more than a little. I don't need an amp for gigging either so the 120 watts of the Randall seems a little high, and so does the 60 watts of the orange. The Marshall amps look amazing and so do the Blackstar. The bugera amps are have a reputation for being low quality and that scares me a little.

You might check out the Peavey 6505 mini too.

The lack of a cab is what kills me when it comes to that. I would have that thing already if I had the cab to go with it.

Little Pigbacon

Quote Originally Posted by Owwwccchhh View Post
    The lack of a cab is what kills me when it comes to that. I would have that thing already if I had the cab to go with it.
    Are you talking about a scaled-down 5150/6505 cabinet to match the head? You shouldn't let that stop you. There are all kinds of cabs out there -- new, used, modified, and custom. I play a mini tube head though one or both sides of a Marshall 1960A.

Just the idea of solid state has put me off more than a little. I don't need an amp for gigging either so the 120 watts of the Randall seems a little high, and so does the 60 watts of the orange. The Marshall amps look amazing and so do the Blackstar. The bugera amps are have a reputation for being low quality and that scares me a little.
    Just keep in mind a lot of the guitar tones on your favorite metal albums are solid state amps and modelers. Recording engineers cringe when a guitarist drags a 100 watt Marshall with a 4x12 into the studio. Like I said go play as many amps as possible tube and solid state.

Solid-state to me is more in your face, while tube sounds like it’s surrounding your body. I’m not going for a soft sound. I ain’t lookin’ for a warm sound. My sound is warm, but I don’t need tubes to do it. - Dimebag

No. I mean the fact that I don't have the money for a cab or a cab period if I were to get that amp.

I'll make sure to whenever I get the chance!

Hey everyone. I was wondering if I should get an all tube kind of amp (ht-5, Randall dialvo 5, Marshall DSL 5, a few bugera combos, like the 6505 copy. Or maybe a used 5150 combo) or if a solid state type amp would even be worth it. (Randall rx120rh, orange crush pro 60 combo, orange micro terror yes I know it's hybrid) Opinions?

I s'pose it really depends where you wanna go to, with your metal tone ?

Cannibal Corpse ?
    Down ?
    Pantera ?
    Parkway Drive ?
    Iced Earth ?
    Obituary ?
    Napalm Death ?

. . . and, and, and !
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Scooped mids thrashy metal. Metallica, slayer, pantera, megadeth. The usual ones.

Scooped mids thrashy metal. Metallica, slayer, pantera, megadeth. The usual ones.
    Metalica - Mesa's

Slayer - Marshall

Pantera - SS Randall

Megadeath - ermmmm ?

Tough one . . . but i stil like the 5150 combo (great bedroom volumes too) : http://medias.audiofanzine.com/image...212-200928.jpg
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Would the ss Randall or DSL combo provide a better sound for them all? Or a 6505 combo or a 5150 comb used? Just based off of they're the only two brands that any of them used. And the 6505 is hugely popular. Also megadeth played a Marshall early on then switched to a line 6.
    Last edited by Owwwccchhh; 01-17-2016 at 03:37 PM.

Would the ss Randall or DSL combo provide a better sound for them all? Just based off of they're the only two brands that any of them used. Also megadeth played a Marshall early on then switched to a line 6.
    Believe that the Randall RH50 T is a great sounding combo (all tube) for the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-RG-5...EAAOSwBahVE3Ff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/randall-rh50...AAAOSwKtlWjnGc

I would take it over a DSL combo (for metal) any day !

What about a used 6505 or 5150?

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I play a lot of the same music as you and just prefer tube amps. As others have said, there are great solid state options these days. One tube amp you can't go wrong with for that stuff is the 5150 III 50 watt. Combo or head, just perfect for metal. (And hard rock)

What about a used 6505 or 5150?

. . . the original 60watt 5150 2x12 cmbo is a GREAT amp.

The much newer MIC 1X12 . . . NOT SO MUCH !

Oh. Okay. Thank you for that. I'll look more into those Randalls.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Check out the AMT Stonehead too (mini 50 watt 4 channel SS head) if you can. Killer high gain tones/great medium gain/both Fender-like & Metallica-ish/middy-type cleans..it's all there. Very "tubey" SS amp (both sound & response) that goes from ultra-brutz/hairy Recto tones to Orange-y sludge to ultra-tight Metallica/Pantera thrash. They're $700-ish new but often pop up for 400 or so on ebay (open-box/mint).

A couple of jams/demo's I did with mine..

All dry tracks. No effects/reverb/delay/NR. Not exactly pro recording's lol (Direct out [first vid]/AMT chameleon cab sim pedal [second vid]... both recorded into my digital handheld recorder's line input). Just to give you some basic idea of the versatility/sounds..

Brutez:

80's-ish/bluesy/shred..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Whether an amp is solid state or tube doesn't dictate it's quality for high gain. It's more to do with the components and voicing. I can get great metal tones out of either but if you can afford a quality tube amp it's pretty much a no brainer.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation