No announcement yet.

Solid state vs. Tube amps for metal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solid state vs. Tube amps for metal.

What about a Peavy bandit? I've heard a little good and a little bad about them.

Comment

I would feel perfectly comfortable playing metal through a ss Roland or even Behringer.

Comment

the bandits are really cool, the most venerated are the silver stripe and red stripe as a lot of incredible guitar tones were recorded with them, but the new ones are just as good, the only "bad" thing on them is the digital reverb but other than they're solid, also they emulate tube amp dynamics, so like a tube amp the higher the volume the more the gain, warmth and chunk you get, the modern channel is the best as it's basically emulating a 6505, the high gain is a pasable recto trial and the vintage it's a low gain marshall-y tone, the clean channel is very pristine, on the vintage voice of the clean channel i have been able to fake fender tones so well that other guitarists cannot tell the difference, and the best thing of a bandit it's the thing is 80 watt (100 with external cab) so you can run the speaker outs on a 4x12 and the external cab into a second 4x12 in case you need a ton of volume

Comment

Thank you for that! I might save some money and get a little bandit.

Comment

Originally posted by Owwwccchhh View Post
            What about a Peavy bandit? I've heard a little good and a little bad about them.
            The XXL is just the next step up from a Bandit. Basically has another gain stage/channel. The Bandit will typically have Clean / Lead channels, and the XXL has Clean / Lead / Ultra channels.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Anywhere too look for a xxl combo for $500?
              Last edited by Owwwccchhh; 01-19-2016, 11:07 AM. Reason: Just looked up the answer to my question

Comment

Sorry I didn't reply to this. I can't find one of those anywhere. All I can find from them is bass amps.

Comment

Peavey bandit combo:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Solid state vs. Tube amps for metal.

Originally posted by Owwwccchhh View Post
                    Scooped mids thrashy metal. Metallica, slayer, pantera, megadeth. The usual ones.
                    Marshall 800 or 900 is probably what you are looking at. Another viable Marshall is the Marshall Valvestate head, which has a tube pre-amp and a solid state power section. I know some of the guys in Death used that.

I have a few friends that run Engl heads, and man, those are some killer metal amps. If you got the cash, I would check those out.

I have a Peavey Bandit 80w combo from the 80s I got at a pawn shop for $100. I didn't expect it to, but I have as much gain as i could possibly want, and you can scoop the mids to infinity. So don't go out thinking you need a million bucks to sound good. This is a similar amp Entombed and all their countryman bands used in the 90's for that Swedish death metal sound.

I'm a big Trace Elliot fan. If you wanted to try something used and almost new vintage, check out a Trace Elliot Booneville or Speed Twin. I can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten on my Booneville run through a Mesa cab after playing shows.

Or, I would take the advice of some of he other guys and just go to a music store and play the hell out of everything until you find what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by frostopsy; 01-20-2016, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I will as soon as I can! Thank you for the response!

Comment

Oh yah... My bandit is for sale... PM me if you are interested. It has a reverb spring tank on it, rather than the digital reverb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

if you wonder about the metal tones of a bandit i did this with a red stripe envoy (bandit's 40w little brother) and i was going fo a brutal dime inspired tone with lots of clarity

Comment

The bandit is great especially when you run it through a nice cab. The stock speakers aren't the best, and I don't think open-back cabs are particularly great for tight, big, focused chuggah chuggah.

Either way, keep your eyes open. 500 bucks for an XXL combo is a bit too much, I think. I payed a little over 300 for my 120W tube Peavey XXX.
                            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-24-2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

After reading all of the XXL love here, I had to go look up some videos of one, I'm impressed (well by some videos, as usual there are people that can make anything sound bad...). Have to keep my eye open for one to come along cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X