Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Componants In Rack Mount Cases

Hi all,

I've got componants together to build a low output power amp, into a 1u rack mount case, but a bit lost as to options for mounting things in it that won't result in nuts/heads protruding from the case that will snag on other equipment, rails etc.

I've got an eyelet tool somewhere, and thought that might be of use in places, and maybe an angled bracket for the torodal transformer, but wondering what suggestions people might have, perhaps for less permenant fixing?
    My mum says I'm speshal...

Re: Mounting Componants In Rack Mount Cases

You mean screws to mount things to the chassis correct?

first thing I can think of is to countersink the holes. Or if you know any welding friends you can build brackets inside the chassis for mounting.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Indeed; I've a turret board, power and two output transformers, as well as a bracket with the valves on it to somehow fit to the casing.

I'd briefly considered countersunk holes, but assumed the casing too thin for that to work(?)

Comment

Assuming the main body of the rack case fits between the rack's mounting rails with a little room to spare, you can create internal brackets/ rails / whatever that attach to the side walls of the rack case. That way it won't be necessary to use countersunk bolts.
        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Whilst looking up the pdf for the case on Farnell's site, the sides are supposed to have channels for sliding in threaded inserts, which might help. Mind you, I'll have to go dig things out to see that I've got those, as I don't remember seeing that. It's flat packed, so not sure what sort of clearance I'm likely to get.

Comment

I'd say mount all the internals on those standoffs that PC motherboards are mounted on. They screw into the case, and have a threaded hole in the top for mounting the components (i.e. motherboard).

However, the threading in the standoffs will protrude, because of the thickness of the material, as you say.

Perhaps hand-tooling recesses into the chassis itself, where the screw heads will sit? Maybe even soldering nuts to the bottom of the chassis on the inside for the standoffs, and having no screw holes?
            Originally posted by Brown Note
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

I did consider that, albeit not the soldering idea. As it stands, I think I'll make use of angled brackets that fix to the case sides where appropriate, then look at what I can get away with elsewhere. I'm wondering if you can still get plastic stand offs with a flat base, that allow things to clip in, similar to CPU mounts. I'm guessing they could be glued to the casing, and things like the turret board become a push/clip fit that you just squeeze the stand off shaft to release. I fyou get what I'm thinking of!

Comment

Yeah, I forgot about those plastic clips. Flatter fit across the outer bottom, but have a "nut" in the top for mounting.
                Originally posted by Brown Note
                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                My Blog

Comment

Working...
                X