Need some enlightenment on Orange's 'mini' head amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some enlightenment on Orange's 'mini' head amps

So many good reviews regarding Orange's 'mini' head amps, such as micro terror, tiny terror, and so on. But is it good enough to use on a gig? Or is it just an amp used for practices and such?

Tell me what do you guys think

Re: Need some enlightenment on Orange's 'mini' head amps

I use my Micro Terror for band practice with a 4x12 and as an emergency backup amp at shows in case one of my vintage heads goes down.

They're legit amps, but they rely on good cabs to be their best.

I'm getting a Micro Dark soon because it's more flexible. I think I'm going to build a pedalboard with the Micro Dark on it then just run a long speaker cable from it to my cab... no more heavy heads, just a big 4x12 and a pedalboard.
    Last edited by Empty Pockets; 01-27-2016, 04:08 AM.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Okay good to know

What's the difference between micro terror and micro dark by the way?

Comment

The Micro Dark is newer, more flexible, and has an fx loop. I posted a thread about them recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          The Micro Dark is newer, more flexible, and has an fx loop. I posted a thread about them recently.
          Could you give a link?

Comment

I don't see how the Micro Terror could keep up with a drummer and bassist with proper bass amp. The thing was designed to be a bedroom amp, and has very little headroom before mushing out.

The Tiny Terror, Dual Terror, Dark Terror, and OR-15 are technically still lunchbox amps, but put out a very loud 15W, especially with a V30 212 or 412. That's where to start for an Orange able to be used with a band.

I really don't care for the voicing of the "Dark" amps. The Tiny Terror was an instant classic because of it's tonal range and ability to be semi-clean and super heavy. I tried an OR-15 a few times and really love the tone of that amp too......plus the OR-15 has an FX loop and the traditional Orange head shell.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
              I don't see how the Micro Terror could keep up with a drummer and bassist with proper bass amp. The thing was designed to be a bedroom amp, and has very little headroom before mushing out.

The Tiny Terror, Dual Terror, Dark Terror, and OR-15 are technically still lunchbox amps, but put out a very loud 15W, especially with a V30 212 or 412. That's where to start for an Orange able to be used with a band.

I really don't care for the voicing of the "Dark" amps. The Tiny Terror was an instant classic because of it's tonal range and ability to be semi-clean and super heavy. I tried an OR-15 a few times and really love the tone of that amp too......plus the OR-15 has an FX loop and the traditional Orange head shell.
              The Micro holds up just fine in my loud punk band against an SVT. I agree that the all tube heads sound better, but they're 7x the price. Kinda apples and oranges...

Comment

OR 15 looks better

Comment

As much as I love my micro dark terror, it won't keep up with a full band in anything more than a small venue. It kicks out some great tones, and I love it! But it needs more power to me to be an amp I'd trust solo at a gig

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ever hear of Crobot? Saw them at about a 500 person venue with a Tiny Terror into a 4x12.

Comment

So basically when you use micro terror to gig on a small place, it wouldn't be a problem right?

Sent from my XPERIA M2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by arwanfarizi11 View Post
                        So basically when you use micro terror to gig on a small place, it wouldn't be a problem right?

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I take mine out to smaller places and it's a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by pushedcrayon1 View Post
                          I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I take mine out to smaller places and it's a blast.

What cab do you use??

Comment

Originally posted by arwanfarizi11 View Post
                            What cab do you use??

I usually play through a 1x12 if it's smaller places. It has a closed back, and sounds pretty nice. If I go to larger places though, I either need to use a bigger cab, or a different amp, just depends.

Comment

I own a Micro Terror and a Dual Terror.

The Dual Terror is an absolutely righteous amp. I gig, record, practice etc with it. It's built like a little tank, been bulletproof and it sounds fantastic.

All the guitars on this were done with the DT thru a Line 6 DT112 cab

The Micro Terror is pretty killer too. I've never gigged with it but I use all the time as a practice amp (love the Aux In) and it works great. I run it thru my 4x10 cab, it sounds fantastic. It gets fairly loud. I've used it at rehearsal thru my 4x12 but it kind of turns to mush when running flat out thru it. It worked but wouldn't be my go too.

While I don't own a regular Tiny Terror the DT has the same circuit and I mostly use it in 15wt mode on the Tiny Terror side.
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                              X