Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some enlightenment on Orange's 'mini' head amps

Originally posted by pushedcrayon1 View Post
    I usually play through a 1x12 if it's smaller places. It has a closed back, and sounds pretty nice. If I go to larger places though, I either need to use a bigger cab, or a different amp, just depends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Okay, so basically no gig in a larger places with this amp

Sent from my XPERIA M2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
      I own a Micro Terror and a Dual Terror.

The Dual Terror is an absolutely righteous amp. I gig, record, practice etc with it. It's built like a little tank, been bulletproof and it sounds fantastic.

All the guitars on this were done with the DT thru a Line 6 DT112 cab

The Micro Terror is pretty killer too. I've never gigged with it but I use all the time as a practice amp (love the Aux In) and it works great. I run it thru my 4x10 cab, it sounds fantastic. It gets fairly loud. I've used it at rehearsal thru my 4x12 but it kind of turns to mush when running flat out thru it. It worked but wouldn't be my go too.

While I don't own a regular Tiny Terror the DT has the same circuit and I mostly use it in 15wt mode on the Tiny Terror side.
      The track is great man, that's first. Second is the result of the guitar in the track is good and satisfying to my ears. I think I'll consider buying Dual Terror first

Comment

Originally posted by arwanfarizi11 View Post
        Okay, so basically no gig in a larger places with this amp

You could, but you'd need a bigger cab than a 1x12, and maybe some boost pedals. I'd recommend a bigger amp though, such as the all tube dark terror

Comment

You could, but you'd need a bigger cab than a 1x12, and maybe some boost pedals. I'd recommend a bigger amp though, such as the all tube dark terror

Okay, thanks for your suggestion

And by the way what do you think about jim root's signature orange amp?? I forget the name

Comment

Okay, thanks for your suggestion

And by the way what do you think about jim root's signature orange amp?? I forget the name

I've never honestly played one. I wish I could help. I've heard it's just like the tiny terror, but with more gain and a better low end.

Comment

I've never honestly played one. I wish I could help. I've heard it's just like the tiny terror, but with more gain and a better low end.

Does jim root really use it for like tour or something?? Because I'm confused, the review seem great, but I won't take that for granted of course

Comment

Does jim root really use it for like tour or something?? Because I'm confused, the review seem great, but I won't take that for granted of course

With a band as big as slipknot, I don't think the 15watt head would be loud enough for their shows. But I do not know if he records with it or anything. Truly sorry I cant be better help.

Comment

Jim Root uses Rockerverbs for tours and the base sound for recording. His signature is based on a Rockerverb. He uses it to add layers in the studio, and to practise on.

He made the amp so fans of his could get "his" sound without breaking the bank.

*Edit*
                  Although it can do much more than "his" sound.

Comment

I'm sorry but the micro terror would not be an amp I could suggest to anyone for a gig regardless of speakers/cabinet used. It just lacks headroom in it's design, it's fine for a practice amp but don't kid yourselves. I am also a sound engineer and even miked up I just don't see that head having enough headroom with a clean sound to be usable live even in smaller venues.

For a truly clean amp at a gig I'd want at least my AC30 or a Vibrolux something in the 30-40 watt range. And that'd be in a smaller venue, usually something like a Deluxe or Blues Jr won't even really do cleans well once you get it at a decent stage volume.

Now if you play semi-clean or mostly distorted tones and don't need the true cleans that can cut over a drummer and other musicians something like an AC15, Tiny Terror, etc is fine.

I use a couple of amps usually....
                    I pretty much always use my Vox AC30C2 as I've played Vox amps my entire career.
                    I like the Fender Vibolux Reverb a lot, by far one of my favorite fender amps to date
                    I have a Randall RM22 head loaded with Salvation Mods C-Watt and Graphic OR modules (ie vintage Hiwatt and Orange) running to a closed 1x12 loaded with a Fane speaker this works great for those driven vintage tones at a reasonable volume.
                    I have a Randall RM100 combo loaded with some Jaded Faith mods and a few of the stock randall modules (typically I run a fender style clean, a supro that can handle anything, and then a voxy/marshally drive style mod). I'll be switching out to the Celestion Neo Creambacks once they come out. But this amp gives me pretty much anything I could need in any situation as the master volume enables me to dial in any tone.
                    I have Fender Pawn Shop series Excelsior and Vaporizer amps and they are fun pieces to look at in the room and they offer up some neat low volume mojo.

My experience has shown me that while the 15 watt and under tube amps are great value and are a lot of fun they really don't cut it live when it comes to cleans. Those amps are pretty much at the point of breakup at a normal stage volume, and yes I am factoring in miking up the amps (I'm also a part time sound engineer) but not everyone in every situation has that luxury and even then it just isn't the right tool for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by SpitfireMusic View Post
                      I'm sorry but the micro terror would not be an amp I could suggest to anyone for a gig regardless of speakers/cabinet used. It just lacks headroom in it's design, it's fine for a practice amp but don't kid yourselves. I am also a sound engineer and even miked up I just don't see that head having enough headroom with a clean sound to be usable live even in smaller venues.

For a truly clean amp at a gig I'd want at least my AC30 or a Vibrolux something in the 30-40 watt range. And that'd be in a smaller venue, usually something like a Deluxe or Blues Jr won't even really do cleans well once you get it at a decent stage volume.

Now if you play semi-clean or mostly distorted tones and don't need the true cleans that can cut over a drummer and other musicians something like an AC15, Tiny Terror, etc is fine.

I pretty much always use my Vox AC30C2 as I've played Vox amps my entire career.
                      I like the Fender Vibolux Reverb a lot, by far one of my favorite fender amps to date
                      I have a Randall RM22 head loaded with Salvation Mods C-Watt and Graphic OR modules (ie vintage Hiwatt and Orange) running to a closed 1x12 loaded with a Fane speaker this works great for those driven vintage tones at a reasonable volume.
                      I have a Randall RM100 combo loaded with some Jaded Faith mods and a few of the stock randall modules (typically I run a fender style clean, a supro that can handle anything, and then a voxy/marshally drive style mod). I'll be switching out to the Celestion Neo Creambacks once they come out. But this amp gives me pretty much anything I could need in any situation as the master volume enables me to dial in any tone.
                      I have Fender Pawn Shop series Excelsior and Vaporizer amps and they are fun pieces to look at in the room and they offer up some neat low volume mojo.

My experience has shown me that while the 15 watt and under tube amps are great value and are a lot of fun they really don't cut it live when it comes to cleans. Those amps are pretty much at the point of breakup at a normal stage volume, and yes I am factoring in miking up the amps (I'm also a part time sound engineer) but not everyone in every situation has that luxury and even then it just isn't the right tool for the job.
                      That's a lot of very interesting words and sentences, but your experience and opinions don't change the fact that myself and others have used a Micro Terror live and gotten perfectly usable tone out of it. They're not big loud clean amps but they're great for a rock tone that cleans up with your volume knob. Just saying.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

None of us that use it live are claiming it's the best amp for the situation, but it's usable, and I find it fun most gigs. It's nice not to have to carry around giant hears, or combos, if it's a small gig, and I know the micro will do fine, I'll bring it. But it's not the best, or perfect amp for the job, what counts is that I like the sound I get from it, and it works.

Comment

My point is if you don't have to be stuck with it then why choose it? I think an ideal gigging amp for most players is a tube amp in the 15-30 watt range. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine I didn't ask for your defense I. My reply I tried to bring up a valid viewpoint that seemed to be overlooked.

By that logic you present I could gig with a 1-5 watt amp and have the same mentality it cuts and sounds great cranked but if it was the right toll then why wouldn't everyone do that? What would be the need for larger and more powerful amps? That's where my reply comes from the need for headroom which most people need in a live environment.

In a studio or bedroom practice environment a lower wattage amp can be fine because you don't really need volume behind cleans and in those instances those sought after cranked up drive characteristics on a louder amp would make it impractical. Bottom line is it boils down to context. Sure you can make something work but why?

In my experience gigging it's not ideal to have an amp that's being pushed to its limits show after show and still not really giving you what you need. It's about right tools for the right job. I'm not saying the micro terrors are garbage they are fun for what they are and intended to be used for. Most amps will clean up by rolling back the volume on your guitar but they don't stay the same SPL level when cleaned up.

The OP specifically asked how they would be for gigging I gave him my opinion and backed up my claim with real experience from using the amps and gigging/recording/practicing with all the before mentioned gear. A tiny terror or above would be fine for gigging the micro versions on the other hand wouldn't be my suggestion. You don't like it or don't agree fantastic no one said you had to get over yourself.
                          Last edited by SpitfireMusic; 02-02-2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

My point is if you don't have to be stuck with it then why choose it? I think an ideal gigging amp for most players is a tube amp in the 15-30 watt range. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine I didn't ask for your defense I. My reply I tried to bring up a valid viewpoint that seemed to be overlooked.

By that logic you present I could gig with a 1-5 watt amp and have the same mentality it cuts and sounds great cranked but if it was the right toll then why wouldn't everyone do that? What would be the need for larger and more powerful amps? That's where my reply comes from the need for headroom which most people need in a live environment.

In a studio or bedroom practice environment a lower wattage amp can be fine because you don't really need volume behind cleans and in those instances those sought after cranked up drive characteristics on a louder amp would make it impractical. Bottom line is it boils down to context. Sure you can make something work but why?

In my experience gigging it's not ideal to have an amp that's being pushed to its limits show after show and still not really giving you what you need. It's about right tools for the right job. I'm not saying the micro terrors are garbage they are fun for what they are and intended to be used for. Most amps will clean up by rolling back the volume on your guitar but they don't stay the same SPL level when cleaned up.

The OP specifically asked how they would be for gigging I gave him my opinion and backed up my claim with real experience from using the amps and gigging/recording/practicing with all the before mentioned gear. A tiny terror or above would be fine for gigging the micro versions on the other hand wouldn't be my suggestion. You don't like it or don't agree fantastic no one said you had to get over yourself.
                            Sorry to hear someone pissed in your cheerios today. To each their own, the op can read and believe whatever they would like. No harm in giving your side or opinions.

Comment

My Orange MT can get pretty loud through a Vintage 30. As loud as a Deluxe Reverb through a Vintage 30. You play it like a vintage amp: roll up the guitar volume for as much overdrive as you set it for and roll it back to clean up. It sounds and plays like an all tube amp. Really a handy piece of kit to have around.

Comment

You choose it because it's cheap and it works. It's not a $600 amp, its a $150 amp, and it's the coolest $150 amp i know about.

A young kid with a part time job could easily afford a Micro and a used cab and play gigs with his band while he saves up for a nicer amp.

I use amps worth thousands of dollars, too. I still like the Micro a lot.
                                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
                                X