This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Deadly stock pickup replacement

So my friend gave me a crappy spectrum strat that he bought from kohls after I gave him a spare speaker/phone charger and ever since I've been looking to mod it. I play metal and I want a ride the lightning/peace sells tone. Wood isn't a problem and I would prefer the pickup to be passive, thanks!

UPDATE: I'm getting a two Humbucker pickguard so I will be able to use an invader, dimebucker, DD, Custom, etc.

UPDATE#2: I decided to go with a set of Invaders and I plan to close this thread in a couple of days but once I get my parts and install the two pickups I will create a new thread that will tell how it went and how they sound. Thank you all very much for the help!
    Last edited by KINGV02; 01-30-2016, 02:15 PM.

Re: Looking for a Deadly stock pickup replacement

Pics?

How's it routed?

1st thoughts are probably Hot Rails or Fast Tracks @ nk & br.
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Metal? Look no further than the Dimebucker!

Hot Rails are a great option as well

Pics would be great...never thought of Kohls as carrying guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
        Pics?

How's it routed?

1st thoughts are probably Hot Rails or Fast Tracks @ nk & br.
        Two humbucker pickguard, 1 500k volume pot, 1 500k tone pot, 0.022 capacitor, 3 way blade switch. I haven't gotten the HH pickguard yet.
        Last edited by KINGV02; 01-28-2016, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
          Metal? Look no further than the Dimebucker!

Hot Rails are a great option as well

Pics would be great...never thought of Kohls as carrying guitars.
          I actually think it was gifted to him since he doesn't play guitar (lol) it is actually set up really nice all it needed when I got it was a string change to function, now I'm looking to turn it into "the mean, heavy sounding beast you always knew it could be." - sh-8 invader description

Comment

Originally posted by KINGV02 View Post
            Two humbucker pickguard, 1 500k volume pot, 1 500k tone pot, 0.022 capacitor, 3 way blade switch. I haven't gotten the HH pickguard yet.
            Have you taken the stock pickguard off to check the routing? It may be HSS under there.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
              Have you taken the stock pickguard off to check the routing? It may be HSS under there.
              It is an sss with 2 tone pots and a volume pot (not sure of the resistance as the soldering has covered it up) I can send you a picture but it would suck since I would have to take it with my phone. And I would rather just buy totally new electronics because the pots and capacitors are shady af.

Comment

It is an sss with 2 tone pots and a volume pot (not sure of the resistance as the soldering has covered it up) I can send you a picture but it would suck since I would have to take it with my phone. And I would rather just buy totally new electronics because the pots and capacitors are shady af.
                Okay, but what I meant was to take the old pickguard off and look at the routing of the body itself. You could be in for disappointment if you get all your parts and discover the body isn't physically routed for a neck humbucker. I had one of those a while back and I think it was HSS routed. (I was using a single bridge humbucker at the time so it was fine for me.) If I remember correctly, the neck routing was a little larger than standard, so a mini-humbucker might have fit but a full sized one wouldn't have.

Twitter:
                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                  Okay, but what I meant was to take the old pickguard off and look at the routing of the body itself. You could be in for disappointment if you get all your parts and discover the body isn't physically routed for a neck humbucker. I had one of those a while back and I think it was HSS routed. (I was using a single bridge humbucker at the time so it was fine for me.) If I remember correctly, the neck routing was a little larger than standard, so a mini-humbucker might have fit but a full sized one wouldn't have.

Not really I'll post a picture of my guitar but I'm pretty sure 2 humbuckers will fit.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1431.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	5789905

Here's the Guitar.

Comment

You're good to go,then!
                      "Scalloped & Stickered"
                      A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                        You're good to go,then!
                        Alright Now back on topic, what humbuckers? I've been mainly looking at invaders but I'm open to other options, even if it isn't seymour duncan, heck there is a local pickup company called motor city pickups that I've been thinking about also. (I live in Michigan)

Comment

If this at all helps or if you're just interested to look here is the exact guitar on Spectrum's website: http://www.target.com/p/spectrum-cus...lot=medium_1_4

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69843[/ATTACH]

Here's the Guitar.
                            That's called a swimming pool rout. You can do anything with that.

JB/Jazz will get you Peace Sells.
                            Invader/Jazz will get you RTL.
                            Custom/Jazz may get you more in the ballpark of either one. (I believe Gary Holt of Exodus used the Custom in the 80s.)

You could also try a Black Winter Set, or a Nazgul/Sentient set.

Twitter:
                            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

A Big Muff Pi pedal will get you RTL easily. Not sure what Dave was using to record Peace Sells, but I think he was still using his Mockingbird. And then you have all the studio mastering and compression/EQ trickery to account for.

Can't recall what pickup I have in my KV2T when I recorded this a while back, I'm pretty sure it's a Custom, though.

It's a partial playalong with the title track to Ride The Lightning:

Line6 M13 with Fuzz PI pedal model
                              Marshall JCM800 head (Low input, Pres 6, Bass 4, Mid 2, Treb 5, Master 8, Pre 6)
                              Carvin VE212 cab with Carvin British 12s
                              Shure SM57

and the isolated track:
                              Originally posted by Brown Note
                              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                              My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X