Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $400 Good Clean Amp for Pedal Use?

Hello,

I'm trying to find a good amp to buy. I'm mainly looking for it to have a great clean tone that can also take pedals very well, but I don't quite know what to buy. Here is my personal situation:

Budget: $400, but less preferred to save some money for pedals.

Genres I like: Blues, jazz, 70s-80s rock, fusion. The only real requirement of is that the amp needs to be able to get a reasonably good jazz tone as the other genres I can easily get with good pedals.

New or Used: I'm fine buying used

Home or Gig: I would mainly use this for home use as well as small-medium sized gigs. It needs to be able to cut through the mix and get over a drummer, but it also needs to have at least decent tones at home volumes.

Closest City: If you want to go above recommending an amp and find a good craigslist posting too, I'm in the Portland, OR area.

Current Gear: Right now I'm using a coil-tappable Dean EVO Special Select (pretty much a Les Paul), to a crappy Boss DS-1 distortion pedal to an even crappies Marshall MG-10CD 40w solid state amp.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good clean sounding amp that fits these criteria? Right now all I'm really considering is the textbook answer, a Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe, but is there anything else to look out for?

Thanks!

Re: $400 Good Clean Amp for Pedal Use?

Oh, man. You've got SO MANY good choices at that price, for that use. Seriously, take your pick. Start with a Blues Jr. and work your way towards the less ubiquitous options from there, depending on the base flavor you're looking for.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

The Jet City 50W head was on sale for about $350 last week .... dunno if the sale is still running.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I t hink the recommendations I made in your previous post stand. There are several amps near PDX that would fit the bill. If you are really trying to stay at the bottom range of your budget, then solid-state is a good way to go. I'm partial to Peavey, but there are Fenders, Line 6s et.al. on the PDX Craig's List. And don't skip over modelers, or one of tube/SS hybrids from Peavey, Music Man, etc. I even found a newer Peavey Classic 30 in Newberg, OR, for $300.

You've just got to get out there and play on every amp you can try, with your own guitar. Hit GC, and hit all the local pawn shops. And if you can, please TAKE YOUR TIME. If you're careful, and PATIENT, you might luck into a Mesa DC, F-Series, Mark or Nomad. I've got a 212 Maverick here, but it's a little out of your budget. You can sometimes find SF Fenders in your range, and something like a Marshall DSL 401 could also be used for jazz. And remember, cash talks when bargaining.

Let me know if I can help.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Roland Cube 60 or 80.
          Especially if you use an extension cab.
          Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I was gonna say Blues Jr, Hot Rod Deluxe, or blues deluxe would all work great. The 40W options start to sound a bit thin at home volumes but I'd take the extra headroom cuz humbuckers can make a Fender clean channel start to break up or flub out and that can be great for blues but not necessarily for jazz (depending on context etc)
            Peavey classic 30 and 50 are great options also and can be wayyy cheap..

If you're not married to the world of pedals for dirt, there are great modelers in your price range that will probably nail your clean tone needs in spades and do at least OK for your dirt. I'm using a fender modeling combo and I still use my dirt pedals a bit, but absolutely don't need any. The modeling thing is easy to set up and transport, its cheap, and it rules the low volume domain. Many tube amps sound thin and anemic at apartment/small room levels, especially if you rely on pedals for dirt. I think manyt pedals were designed to push a tube amp where it was a given that the amp would smooth out how buzzy and harsh the pedal really is. Look at the DS-1 for example, it sounds light years different through a Deluxe Reverb on 1 vs a Deluxe Reverb on 4 or 5.

So, TL;DR: Get a hot rod deluxe or classic 30 if you really like pedals but I think modelers really would satisfy based on the clean/blues/jazz tone criteria, and small-to-medium room size, and price.

Comment

hot rod deluxe all day man. ive had 3 and they all cost me around $400 used in good shape.

Comment

Musiciansfriend has two great deals on Fender Tube amps:

There is even an open box version of a 15 watt fender.

I bought my 5 watt Fender Champ from them several years ago. It was labeled "open box" and what I got was a dead mint amp in the original box, foam, everthing...tags on it. Amp cover still in it's original plastic bad. Everything and I got it for 300.00 less than they were going for at the time.

Sometimes dudes get gear and their wives are like "no F#^king way..send it back." and musiciansfriend takes stupid money off them.

So...back to your point. Go to your favorite music site...pick amps and then filter by price range. If you are looking for tubes, you will have to have a smaller wattage amp.

Honestly...a lot of the lunchbox sized Orange amps can help you out too.

See you,

~LD
                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Used Carvin Nomad or Belair are around $350
                  great sounding cleans, the dirt channel sounds like a DS-1
                  effects loop, footswitch plenty loud

at that price a new Peavey Bandit would be good
                  used Bandits are real cheap ($100), but plan for a speaker swap
                  those Sheffield speakers are blah
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Lots of real nice options can be had for that price point some of my favorites in no particular order
                    Roland Cube series (probably the only SS option I can even suggest)
                    VOX AC15
                    Egnater Tweaker
                    Fender Blues Jr
                    Fender Super Champ
                    Orange Tiny Terror
                    Carvin Vintage series (nomad, belair, etc I used to have the vintage 33 and absolutely loved the clean tones....unfortunately that amp died by emitting sparks on me during a set, probably just a fluke, luckily I had purchased it used from guitar center and it had the coverage so they just cut me a check for the amount I paid)

If you are worried about volume/headroom any of the lower cost amps can become instantly louder if you pair them with a really efficient speaker enter Celestion G12H or Alnico style speakers (these typically have around a 100dB rating)....Eminence makes lots of great speakers many of the Redcoat and Patriots are inspired by some great classic speaker designs and they are usually over 100dB (I've had some real good experiences with the Private Jack, Wizard, Red Fang, Cannabis Rex, and Texas Heat), those extra 3+ dB in efficiency on the speaker can make your amp noticeably louder in some cases might even double your volume. Just some food for thought to consider. Obviously which exact speaker you choose would depend on the tones you desire and the amp/cab being paired with. Just figured I'd throw this in the mix for you since oftentimes those Eminence speakers can be had for less than $100. Small price to pay to make a small amp work perfectly for your situation.
                    Last edited by SpitfireMusic; 02-01-2016, 08:26 PM.

Comment

The Fender amps mentioned will do what you are looking for, but I personally think the Peavey Classic 30 or 50 combos can do it as good or better.

Cole
                      Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Originally posted by ColeJustesen View Post
                        The Fender amps mentioned will do what you are looking for, but I personally think the Peavey Classic 30 or 50 combos can do it as good or better.

Cole
                        Why?

Comment

Fender Blues Jr, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Fender Blues Deluxe. Another fun one to point out is the Fender Pro Jr.

My Hot Rod Deluxe takes pedals better than any Marshall, Vox or Mesa that I've ever owned–pristine cleans.

IMO, you are looking for the Fender clean tone.

Comment

Here is a Peavey Classic 30 with an asking price of $275. Bring cash offer $200 because the speaker is not original and see if you can end up under or at $250.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msg/5429783696.html

Here is a Fender Super Champ XD for $150. Again you can see if the guy will take a few bucks less, but that is a fair price.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/5422448742.html

For $400 you will have something that can be gigged (Classic 30) and a perfect practice/ small venue amp (Super Champ) both with great cleans.

Comment

Roland JC-40 or 77...
                              Guitars: Kiesel Bolt Classic, Strandberg Boden Standard 7, Jackson DXMG (Japan) & Charvel Model 5.

Amps: Marshall 1959slp & Peavey 5150 (Block Letter)

Comment

Working...
                              X