banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I Just Bought A New DSL40C, Anyone Else Have One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I Just Bought A New DSL40C, Anyone Else Have One?

So I literally just ordered a new DSL40C. I was originally looking at getting the 100W head but for my current situation the 40W combo is not only cheaper but it's also more practical. I've got a couple of questions about it for you DSL owners, first & foremost what do you think?

Secondly, if history is any indication of the future I'm probably not going to be a huge fan of the stock Seventy/80 & I plan on swapping it out for a Creamback as soon as possible. Unfortunately I'm going to have to pay off my credit card first! I've got a 75W WGS Retro 30 just kicking around, do you guys who've tried them think that this speaker would be a good replacement for the Seventy/80 until I can get the Creamback in it? I mean would it even be an improvement or should I just not bother?

See, I don't think Seventy/80's are bad, they're just not all that great either? I don't know if anyone has tried a retro 30 in a DSL40 or something comparable but if so I'd love to hear your thoughts.... Thanks!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: So I Just Bought A New DSL40C, Anyone Else Have One?

What could it hurt? Do it
    -Greg

Guitars:
    2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
    2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
    2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

It'd probably sound rad.

Comment

I have the amp did a retube and put a Warehouse British lead, the speaker really warmed it up nicely! im sure putting that other speaker would work great. I still run the amps treble at 3 and presence 5 works for the Les Paul. Crunch has a nice ac/dc sound and the red for 80's rock. One of the most satisfying amps I owned and i had many!
        tone slut
        Marshall DSL 40C
        Fender EVH Striped Series
        Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
        Fender Squier Tele Affinity
        Mogami cables

Comment

The Seventy/80 sucks so hard I would put that WGS in there without a thought.

DSL's are great.
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I have one of the Sweetwater specials with a g12m creamback. It's better than a 70/80, but I don't really like g12ms in a open back all that much.. the v30 sounds excellent in the combo cab.

That said, I run mine through a 212 with a m20 and a h30 and only use the green channel. Red channel sounds OK with a strat but don't care for it otherwise. Nasal, thin.

Preamp tube swap-early 60s yellow label mullard in v1, modern ehx in v2/3 and a sovtek lps in the PI. I'm back and forth on the tad str EL34b's it came with and the mullard ri el34s. They both have their merits.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I've got 100 DSL H version plugged into 4x12 G12t-75 and is amazing, they are underrated (in place where V30 and GB are overrated) but sounds as it should so. Go for G12t-75, even one sounds good
              Need of FUZZ ?
              Need of CENTAUR ?

Comment

Originally posted by czarokrates View Post
                I've got 100 DSL H version plugged into 4x12 G12t-75 and is amazing, they are underrated (in place where V30 and GB are overrated) but sounds as it should so. Go for G12t-75, even one sounds good
                +1

Comment

I jinxed myself.. my old yellow label started to get all weird last night and this morning. Amp got fizzy and thin.....started howling... It's had it.

I ended up moving the ehx's to.v1/2 put one of the Marshall branded tubes back into v3. Hate to admit it, but it sounds damn good. Maybe better than when the os mullard was still functioning correctly.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                    I jinxed myself.. my old yellow label started to get all weird last night and this morning. Amp got fizzy and thin.....started howling... It's had it.

I ended up moving the ehx's to.v1/2 put one of the Marshall branded tubes back into v3. Hate to admit it, but it sounds damn good. Maybe better than when the os mullard was still functioning correctly.
                    Maybe it's something to do with higher gain preamps? Several years ago I had the chance to A/B EHX and NOS Mullard 12AX7s in my Jubilee 2555 and I was honestly shocked at how close they sounded. I still use EHXs today because they sound great and it's hard to argue with the price. OTOH at the same time I was also borrowing a friend's '73 PTP 100W Superlead and that thing ABSOLUTELY preferred the Mullards. They were smooth and fat whereas the EHXs were bright and a bit harsh.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                      Maybe it's something to do with higher gain preamps? Several years ago I had the chance to A/B EHX and NOS Mullard 12AX7s in my Jubilee 2555 and I was honestly shocked at how close they sounded. I still use EHXs today because they sound great and it's hard to argue with the price. OTOH at the same time I was also borrowing a friend's '73 PTP 100W Superlead and that thing ABSOLUTELY preferred the Mullards. They were smooth and fat whereas the EHXs were bright and a bit harsh.
                      Yeah. Could be. I only use the green crunch mode, but the EHX just kinda tightens and opens things up. Less fizz, a little more beef/focus. The os yellow label mullard was more.compressed and higher gain.. Could just be the ehx's a better match with my guitars/speakers/pickups.

I am.gonna roll a few other tubes into V1 to try out. The svetlana is similar build to the ehx but a bit sweeter and a tad more gain. I don't find them as reliable but I do like the tone a bit better generally. I gotta get another ordered up. My class 5 killed my last one.
                      Last edited by JeffB; 02-02-2016, 10:40 AM.

Comment

The other guitarist in my band has the DSL40. First we swapped in the creamback, that made a nice difference. It smoothed the harshness out a bit. Then he swapped some of the tubes out. they cooked pretty quickly IMO. It's a little beast now. Sounds like and does what a Marsha should do
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Thanks guys, it's looking like I'm going to end up with a Vintage 30 in there. I had some Greenbacks laying around and I found someone who wanted to trade so he could do the whole V-30/Greenback in a 2X12 thing? I'm going to give it a shot, I've always been more partial to Creambacks but the Vintage 30 may focus the low end better in a semi open back cabinet & I don't have to pull $165 out of pocket to pay for it!

There's a good chance that I'll end up sticking it on top of my G12T-75 loaded 2x12 when I need to fill more air but ideally I'd also like one great speaker inside the combo for practice purposes. I'll toss in the WGS for now as it can handle the speaker load, plus the dude who has the Vintage 30 is out of the country for the next month, when he's back I'll try that. If it's not what I'm looking for I'll try the Creamback, exe...
                          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

i have a vintage 30 in my older marshall DSL401. I never heard the original but the owner said these small amps benefit from a darker speaker. I understand the 7080 is a "75" style speaker, I'd opt for something darker.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                              There's a good chance that I'll end up sticking it on top of my G12T-75 loaded 2x12 when I need to fill more air but ideally I'd also like one great speaker inside the combo for practice purposes. I'll toss in the WGS for now as it can handle the speaker load, plus the dude who has the Vintage 30 is out of the country for the next month, when he's back I'll try that. If it's not what I'm looking for I'll try the Creamback, exe...
                              Id probably take one of the g12T's and stick that in the combo and see how that goes too. You might find its got a bit more low end.

FWIW....if you do decide you need to spend money on a speaker...have a sniff around for a used g12H100. Those are excellent in an open 1x12 format with a marshall and usually can be snapped up at a good price.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X