banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I Just Bought A New DSL40C, Anyone Else Have One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So I Just Bought A New DSL40C, Anyone Else Have One?

Sweet! Should be a cool amp! I don't have any experience playing them but I was intrigued by them.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
      Id probably take one of the g12T's and stick that in the combo and see how that goes too. You might find its got a bit more low end.

FWIW....if you do decide you need to spend money on a speaker...have a sniff around for a used g12H100. Those are excellent in an open 1x12 format with a marshall and usually can be snapped up at a good price.
      LOL, you actually just reminded me that I've got a G12H-100 just sitting in a box! It's been in there for about 5 years now but I just plugged it into my 1X12 & it sounds great! I yanked that out of a random 90's Fender combo some old guy gave me when I was doing his roof. When I got it the amplifier was D.O.A., it was just a early 90's S.S. 1X12 & probably not worth fixing if I could...

Plus there was the danger factor, I could tell that someone had been messing around inside it at some point. I'm 99% sure that the speaker wasn't original & there were a few other things that were off as well? LOL, I didn't like having to plug it in, let alone having to go tinkering around inside of it so I kept the speaker, lost the chassis, & built a cabinet for a friend with the rest of it. The cone on the G12M-100 has a small deformity in the center but it doesn't seem to affect the sound or tone at all?

The DSL40C should arrive sometime tomorrow morning as long as UPS isn't lying to me again!!! I'll try out the speakers that I've got on hand & see what works best, although I'll have to wait a bit for the Vintage 30? That actually kinda sucks because I'm guessing that's the one I'll end up liking the most but we'll see, I've been surprised before....

Now that I'm thinking about it the G12H-100 might be a good choice? It's not British voiced but it's not U.S.A. voiced either. They sort of live right in between & work well in a variety of amplifiers, plus it's definitely already well broken in!!! I'll let you guys know how it turns out.....
      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
        Sweet! Should be a cool amp! I don't have any experience playing them but I was intrigued by them.
        I'm definitely pretty pumped about it! To me they're kinda like a MIM Strat's, they are good out of the box but with a few small tweaks and by throwing a few dollars @ them they can be amazing! If all goes according to plan it should make 2-3 of my little 5W-15W lunchbox heads obsolete (@ higher volumes anyhow). It would just be super if I could get those same tones all from one amp and sell off a few of the others, for the sake of room if nothing else!!!
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
          I'm definitely pretty pumped about it! To me they're kinda like a MIM Strat's, they are good out of the box but with a few small tweaks and by throwing a few dollars @ them they can be amazing! If all goes according to plan it should make 2-3 of my little 5W-15W lunchbox heads obsolete (@ higher volumes anyhow). It would just be super if I could get those same tones all from one amp and sell off a few of the others, for the sake of room if nothing else!!!
          I agree, don't think it will take much to mod/upgrade to an awesome combo!

I was interested in these amps but ultimately went with a Fender Blues Jr...never even tried the DSL. lol

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
            I agree, don't think it will take much to mod/upgrade to an awesome combo!

I was interested in these amps but ultimately went with a Fender Blues Jr...never even tried the DSL. lol
            I know how much you love your Fender Blues jr.! I've nearly bought one several times myself but always opted for something else in the end? I don't know if you're in the market for another head but if so I can give you a pretty insane deal on a Blackstar HT-5R or a Orange Tiny Terror. P.M. me if you want...

Comment

I know how much you love your Fender Blues jr.! I've nearly bought one several times myself but always opted for something else in the end? I don't know if you're in the market for another head but if so I can give you a pretty insane deal on a Blackstar HT-5R or a Orange Tiny Terror. P.M. me if you want...
              Ha! Would love to do another deal with you but I just laid some cash down for 2 Mad Professor pedals and a modded Rat so the guitar fund is gone for the month. lol

Anyone else reading this, Nostalgic is a class act to deal with–buy the Blackstar or Tiny Terror!

Comment

LOL, you actually just reminded me that I've got a G12H-100 just sitting in a box!
                Now that I'm thinking about it the G12H-100 might be a good choice? It's not British voiced but it's not U.S.A. voiced either. They sort of live right in between & work well in a variety of amplifiers, plus it's definitely already well broken in!!! I'll let you guys know how it turns out.....
                To me it sounds like a g12T but with grunt in the mids. Nice and thick so it adds beef to an open backed cab.
                I had a 100 watt marshall MKIII900 1x12 and the g12H came stock from the english factory in that. Just a tough sounding speaker.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

You should love the DSL40c, it's really a great sounding amp.

You're right about the 70/80...not a very good sounding speaker. The G12H should sound lovely with that amp. Another speaker that I'm surprised no one has mentioned is the Swamp Thang. Man, that is a gorgeous sounding speaker...solid lows, rich mids and a sparkly high end...not what I would call bright, but just enough top end to add clarity and overtones. It's a nice warm sounding speaker.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

So I got it the other day and I absolutely love it!!! No matter what guitar or music style it keeps right up & has almost limitless tonal possibilitys! I still haven't worked out the speaker issue but the stock Seventy/80 actually sounds better than I thought it would so I've got some time to find that perfect loud mouth for her!

Sorry for the tardy response, ever since it arrived I've been too busy playing to write about it! After I've had a week or so to fiddle around with it I'll write a more detailed and accurate review of it. I'm 99% sure that I'm still a bit blinded by the "Honeymoon Period" that we all go through when we get a new piece of gear. Sometimes wanting to like something makes you think you like it more than you actually do, time will tell I suppose???

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70023[/ATTACH]
                      So I got it the other day and I absolutely love it!!! No matter what guitar or music style it keeps right up & has almost limitless tonal possibilitys! I still haven't worked out the speaker issue but the stock Seventy/80 actually sounds better than I thought it would so I've got some time to find that perfect loud mouth for her!

Sorry for the tardy response, ever since it arrived I've been too busy playing to write about it! After I've had a week or so to fiddle around with it I'll write a more detailed and accurate review of it. I'm 99% sure that I'm still a bit blinded by the "Honeymoon Period" that we all go through when we get a new piece of gear. Sometimes wanting to like something makes you think you like it more than you actually do, time will tell I suppose???
                      Cool! I dig my Les Paul through it and the MIM strat cleans to red 1 on the neck pup! Is you strat American hows the bridge on the red 1 bright?
                      tone slut
                      Marshall DSL 40C
                      Fender EVH Striped Series
                      Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                      Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                      Mogami cables

Comment

That Strat is a '94 MIM 40th anniversary edition 54 reissue that's had a bunch of work done to it! I put about $300 into the neck, nut, and frets & I've got it loaded with a lil 59N in the bridge and two SSL-1's in the neck and middle slots. Chunky vintage C profile neck with USA vintage tuners, Wilkinson tremolo, & I've also got a custom made Jeff Beck harness & aluminum grounding plate inside to keep it as true to a 1954 Strat as possible while still being modern enough for the styles of music that I play.

In turn, this '94 MIM Deluxe Strat will knock just about every "out of the box" USA Strat out of the water & most USA's after setup! I know that it sounds like a exaggeration but I'd happily put money on it any day of the year!!! I've gotten a few $500-$600 offers for it over the years but turned them all down. It truly is a diamond in the rough & will be with me until I die or my hands stop working!!!

It would be hard to answer your question about the bridge pup on red 1 because of the Lil 59 in the bridge of that guitar but my 2014 Flamtop Antiquity Strat sounds flipping amazing through it, no matter what pickup I'm using! That one is a U.S. Strat & as I said "the 94 is a much nicer instrument" and since its basically a antique already I doubt I'm going to have any unforeseen problems pop up...

Comment

Lil 59 are nice I had one in a tele
                          tone slut
                          Marshall DSL 40C
                          Fender EVH Striped Series
                          Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                          Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                          Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
                            Lil 59 are nice I had one in a tele
                            If you're just doing one in the bridge and two true singles in the neck and middle to make a sudo Fat Strat lil 59N's make much better bridge pickups I.M.H.O.! They sound much closer to a real PAF then the bridge models do to my ears. I guess you could say they have more of that scooped out woody tone that's inherent to PAF's but they can handle a lot more gain?

That guitar & the way it's set up is great, you can do everything with it! The funny thing is that guard came about because of a fluke. I had a bunch of parts (the harness, pickups, exe) kicking around and I thought I'd put them together in a guard to save on space for the most part? The Strat had a David Gilmore 7 way switching guard @ the time & it had to come out for some reason, so I pulled this one out of the box it had been sitting in. I soldered it up as a temporary replacement & it's been there ever since!!! It was a happy accident, if I hadn't done what I did I never would have thought to try the lil 59N as my bridge pup and the guitar wouldn't be what it is today...

Comment

I was never happy with the sound of a Lil '59b in the bridge (way too warm and middy), but the Lil '59n should be much better sounding. Wiring it up in parallel also sounds way better (more PAFish).
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

So after speaker swapping for the past few days I think I'm going to go with a Creamback. I borrowed one out of a friend's 2x12 to test it & it had the best all around sound, the bass response was right where I wanted it to be, plus a forum member was selling a Ipswich England made one with less than 20 hrs on it really cheap so I was able to snag it up for less than id spend on a new Vintage 30 or Greenback...

Comment

Working...
                                X