JCA50H Jet City: what say you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCA50H Jet City: what say you?

First, let me say yes, I did a search.. Most of the info is yrs old.. So wanted to start something new for questions on durability and long term ownership.. I had one of the small 20s when they came out. I liked it, but had to move it along and it was alittle limited. I read some old threads on the JCA50H and there was alot of positives, but those threads were a few year old.

So, do you guys still own them? Any issues? Owners, how do you like em? Ive always wanted the Soldano tone, but as most, surely cant afford it. So, looking into one of these. Can you get decent tone at low volume?

Anything else to share??

Thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: JCA50H Jet City: what say you?

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
    First, let me say yes, I did a search.. Most of the info is yrs old.. So wanted to start something new for questions on durability and long term ownership.. I had one of the small 20s when they came out. I liked it, but had to move it along and it was alittle limited. I read some old threads on the JCA50H and there was alot of positives, but those threads were a few year old.

So, do you guys still own them? Any issues? Owners, how do you like em? Ive always wanted the Soldano tone, but as most, surely cant afford it. So, looking into one of these. Can you get decent tone at low volume?

Anything else to share??

Thanks
    I've worked on a few of them. I've replaced blown OTs & PTs in 2 100w models and replaced screen grid resistors in the 22h,jca50,jca100

They're only 2w so they act like a fuse and make a huge mess doing it.

I hear that the newer ones have 5w SGRs and more reliable OTs.

With a few mods they can get scarily close to the SLO sound and all for less than a tenner(+the amp of course)
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
    http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Ive heard they sound pretty close as is. (havent got to actually play one) and have heard the mod is cheap.. Is is something a novice can do? I can change pickups and re wire a guitar, but not amp work saavy.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        Ive heard they sound pretty close as is. (havent got to actually play one) and have heard the mod is cheap.. Is is something a novice can do? I can change pickups and re wire a guitar, but not amp work saavy.
        They're closer to the hotrod. Just so long as you make sure the amp is fully discharged it should be easy enough for anyone that can solder.

It's only changing a handful of resistors and caps. The pcb is through plated which makes it easier.
        Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
        WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
        http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Absolutely love my JCA2212C. Jet city is putting out some cool modded marshall style amps for reasonable prices. Got mine for $300 on sale.

Mines still under 2 months old, and it seems to have a break in period. Out of the box is had a little bit of noise and creak at louder volumes, but that went away.

The amp's channels are like a Marshall channel, and a soldano channel. The Crunch is very good for most of what I do, and the Overdrive has all the gain I could ever need.

Edit: just reread the op and realized you have had one. :facepalm my bad
          Last edited by TRex; 02-04-2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

No problem. I appreciate the input and glad you are digging yours!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Jca100h. Had it for going on 5 years. Gigged for 2 1/2 those years. Had a problem right after I got it and sent it in for warranty work and it's been fine ever since. I really like this amp. I did the depth mod myself and it is super simple. Had most of the parts lying around and it makes a huge difference. Never played an slo or hotrod so I don't know how close it gets. If I lost it tomorrow I don't know if I'd buy it again because there are so many new amps out there that fit my current situation but at the same time there's nothing I've heard or played that made me sell this and get something else. You really can't beat them for the price. It's probably easier to get a good tone at lower volume with the 50 watt but it really needs to be cranked to sound good. Above 3 it sounds like a different animal.
              Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Working...
              X