Marshall 1912 Cabinet Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 1912 Cabinet Users

Any experience with these? Got one here up for sale for around 200 bucks at a local shop. Are they worth it?

Sent from my SCL22 using Tapatalk

Re: Marshall 1912 Cabinet Users

200 is a good deal, they have Celestion GT-75s in them though, not everyone's favorite though, and it's made from MDF. I wouldn't get it new but for $200 it's a good deal.

For $349 you could get the EVH 1x12. I have one, took it apart, solid plywood , no MDF, and stocked with a Celestion G12H30.

There's also avatar speakers in that price range but again for $200 it's a good deal, especially if you have a matching Marshall combo the same width to mount on top

Comment

MDF huh, cause the Marshall website was saying that they are made in England and what not. And I was glancing at sweetwater's site and under specs it said that it is made with birch plywood. I wouldn't mind MDF, so long as the actual stock speaker can deliver a convincing blues,rock and hard rock tone

Comment

Those have got a Celestion 150-watt speaker, not a T-75, actually.

Not sure if they make those out of plywood right now, but I know they recently switched to plywood for the 1936's and the 1960's backs, which used to be MDF, so the 1912's may also be made out of plywood now, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          Those have got a Celestion 150-watt speaker, not a T-75, actually.

Not sure if they make those out of plywood right now, but I know they recently switched to plywood for the 1936's and the 1960's backs, which used to be MDF, so the 1912's may also be made out of plywood now, but I wouldn't know for sure.
          Construction may depend on when the cabinet was made. I've heard that 1936 cabs in the early to mid 2000s were MDF, but I haven't had the chance to tear one apart. My bro briefly owned a Valvestate 4x12, and that was MDF.

Originally posted by atf View Post
          MDF huh, cause the Marshall website was saying that they are made in England and what not. And I was glancing at sweetwater's site and under specs it said that it is made with birch plywood. I wouldn't mind MDF, so long as the actual stock speaker can deliver a convincing blues,rock and hard rock tone

When it comes to 1x12 cabs, porting (or lack thereof) is much more important than MDF vs ply IME. Any 1x12 cab that isn't ported will sound small and boxy and generally useless for hard rock. If you're looking to play heavier styles, check if the cab is ported and pass on it if it isn't.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
            Any 1x12 cab that isn't ported will sound small and boxy and generally useless for hard rock. If you're looking to play heavier styles, check if the cab is ported and pass on it if it isn't.
            I don't think that's necessarily true. 1x12's by certain makers are built oversized, such as Orange, EVH, some Mesa Boogie to give you increased bass response and a bigger tone. While I agree a 1x12 open back tends to sound small and boxy, oversized close backs don't.

My EVH amp also has resonance controls to make the 1x12's sound bigger than they are

Comment

That 1912 should be plywood, and for $200, I say go for it. I almost always use my Mesa combos with a matching Mesa 112 Thiele cab underneath. A friend has a 100-watt JCM 900 combo and uses a 1912 with it.

If it's in good shape, grab it.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                That 1912 should be plywood, and for $200, I say go for it. I almost always use my Mesa combos with a matching Mesa 112 Thiele cab underneath. A friend has a 100-watt JCM 900 combo and uses a 1912 with it.

If it's in good shape, grab it.

Bill
                Sorry for asking, but are the tones to your ears from your friend's jcm rig classic Marshall, rock tones and not boxy. If you say yes I will probably grab this cab in a heart beat. Lol.

Comment

Ummm....difficult to say. He also has an old JMP with a basket-weave 412, and he prefers playing out with the JCM900; part of that is portability. I'm used to the Mesa tone, so I have trouble finding MY tones with the 900, but it does sound good. I'll run my Mark IV EVM combo with a 112 EVM Thiele and our jams do get loud, lol...okay, maybe a bit beyond loud. I can say that the Mesa Thiele cab sounds bigger and goes lower than the 1912. So that's the ported design and the bigger, badder speaker.

I'm a Mesa guy and he likes Marshalls, and we kid each other about it a lot. But together, I think they are well-matched and sound good. He's more rock and I'm more blues, so the amps match up well with with our individual styles.

The best thing is to take your amp and a good speaker cable and go try out the cab with your amp. If you like it, get it. It's as simple as that.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                  X