Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp Day

Well, sort of.

I came home from my dad's house with his SF Super Reverb on "indefinite loan." He's had it since sometime in the 70's, but never plays electric anymore. He offered to let me take it, said it was a shame to let it sit unused.

I'm not sure of the exact year, but it looks like pre-72. I'll post a photo from my laptop later.

Anyway, after 6 years of playing a 15 watt Line 6, this thing sure is a wake up call. I'm going straight into it, and I'm hearing stuff I never heard on the modeling amp. It's horribly impractical for home usage, but it sounds so good I don't care.

That said, I'm trying to find some tricks to tame the volume. One recommendation is to pull channel 1's tube. I'm hesitant to go pulling tubes, so is this safe?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: New Amp Day

Get an attenuator.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, you can do that with those two channel Fenders. For some reason, when you pull the pre tube for the normal channel, the gain increases on the vibrato channel. It won't hurt anything, but you can't use the normal channel and have to turn it to zero.

However, it's best to use an OD pedal. The Way Huge Green Rhino sounds great with a Super Reverb.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Does it have an FX loop?
        If so, drop an EQ pedal in it with the level on zero. Plenty of attenuation to be had.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

if you pull v1, all it will do is disable the first channel and add a little more gain to channel 2 (making it louder).
          Other options are (assuming you like the reverb channel mostly) swap v2 for a lower gain tube like a 5751.
          Another option is to swap out the phase inverter (the last preamp tube) to a 12ax7. This will reduce headroom considerably.

This page is a great resource.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
            However, it's best to use an OD pedal. The Way Huge Green Rhino sounds great with a Super Reverb.
            Just read a review of the Green Rhino, this sounds perfect. Thanks.

No effects loop. The amp is the old, non-mv version. No pull boosts, loops, or any of that. Just 45 watts of punchy, clean brutality.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I would not modify that amp under any circumstances. Prices for clean, early SF Fender's are climbing higher and higher. Get too crazy with mods and you'll be leaving money on the table.

The only exception would be to have it put to BF specs, but only if the mods can be reversed. But definitely don't do an EFX loop, add a master, or drill holes in the chassis. Adding a grounded cable is probably an acceptable mod, but some collectors would balk over that.

THD makes one of their Hot Plate attenuators in a 2-ohm version, which I think is the correct impedance for a Super Reverb. These amps are great with pedals, so you could have a board with 4-5-6 drive pedals easy. I'd start with a Soul Food and a Tubescreamer, add something Brit-flavored, a Fuzz and then something to create metal mayhem.

And you can always use hotter pickups with these NMV amps. The 496R/500T set in my Les Paul Classic Premium Plus had way too much gain for my Mesa amps, but they sounded great with BF Fenders and a Marshall Plexi. That extra output added a nice touch of grit and warmth.

Take care of that amp, it's a real keeper.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Just a word on the Green Rhino since you seemed to be researching them.. Its similar, of course to a tubescreamer but gives alot more control/flexability. IIRC, I got mine based on Gearjoneser's recommendation and it replaced my TS.

Enjoy your new toy!

On my JCM 800, the seller recommended I pull one of the tubes to defeat a little bit of bleed. I did it with no issues.
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Congrats, great Amp, I hope to have one some day!
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The most invasive mod I'm considering is one I read about putting a cap in parallel with the speakers. It's had a grounded cable for forever, but rest assured, I'm not doing anything serious to it. It's a family heirloom at this point.

As is, it sounds great with my Strat with Texas Specials, but the new Les Paul with the Distortion set sounds like crap. I have a cheap Danelectro pedal that was a good boost with the Line 6, but sounds awful with the SR. However, my Little Big Muff works really well.

Comment

Start saving now; hearing aids are really expensive.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

its a cool amp but it is what it is, loud and clean. enjoy it for what it is and use pedals to get your dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          its a cool amp but it is what it is, loud and clean. enjoy it for what it is and use pedals to get your dirt.
                          Definitely. I'm not expecting it to become the world's greatest practice amp, just trying to take advantage of some cool tricks while still letting it be what it is.

I think it may have a microphonic tube. Do you guys like anything in particular for Supers? I've never changed tubes before, so will it need biasing?
                          Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 02-05-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                            Definitely. I'm not expecting it to become the world's greatest practice amp, just trying to take advantage of some cool tricks while still letting it be what it is.

I think it may have a microphonic tube. Do you guys like anything in particular for Supers? I've never changed tubes before, so will it need biasing?
                            Biasing yes, if it's power tubes. Should be checked and may need biased if replacing the rectifier. Not for the 9 pin tubes.

Comment

I pulled V1 and put that 12AX7 in V6. I haven't gotten to crank it yet, but it sounds better on 3 than it did before.

Speaking of tubes, do you guys have any recommendations on good ones? It has all Groove Tubes in it right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X