New Amp Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Amp Day

groove tubes doesnt tell us much other than they were tested. gt sells a variety of tubes but dont make any. they do test and match the tubes and ive had good luck with all the gt tubes ive used over the years.

personally i like GE style 6l6gc power tubes, nos 5ar4 rectos, nos 12at7, and whatever 12ax7 sounds good.

Comment

That should be an awesome amp! Enjoy the indefinite loan!

Comment

Great Amp, Congrats!! The only way to tame then is an attenuator, or use a pedal in front to get a Overdriven tone at lower volume. I have a 100 Watt Twin Reverb + 40 watt Bandmaster. If you like the Blackface sound Wampler makes a "65 Blackface" pedal which sound great. If you like a Tweed sound Catlinbread makes a "5F6 Formula" (Bassman) pedal that sounds great. Both are made in the USA. Both allow your amp to scream at manageable volume. Hope this helps

Bigjoedo

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          groove tubes doesnt tell us much other than they were tested. gt sells a variety of tubes but dont make any. they do test and match the tubes and ive had good luck with all the gt tubes ive used over the years.

personally i like GE style 6l6gc power tubes, nos 5ar4 rectos, nos 12at7, and whatever 12ax7 sounds good.
          Good info, thanks. I didn't know that about Groove Tubes. I think the 12AT7 from V6 was microphonic. It's located near the switches, and when I'd reach to turn it off, I could hear tapping through the amp. It doesn't seem to have this issue now. It does hum a little when switched on, then it goes away once the amp is warmed up. Might be due for a trip to the amp guy.

If I'm handy with an iron, is it safe for me to work on it myself, provided I've done sufficient research?
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

sure. its a simple amp to work on just make sure you drain the caps before you mess around so you dont get blasted

Comment

Working...
            X