Cool video about the life of the Tiny Terror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cool video about the life of the Tiny Terror

After seeing this thread today, I decided to spend the evening with a LP and SG plugged into the Tiny Terror/Jubilee 412.

The beauty of the amp is how sensitive the three knobs are, and the tonal characteristic of all the tubes breaking up in harmony. It gives that cranked plexi grunt with the gain under 5, then moves toward a highgain Orange sound past 6.

I don't really hear the Sex Pistols sound, but definitely hear Angus to Iommi.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
      Interesting video. "First three AC/DC albums and Never Mind the Bollocks, that's what it does."

I guess that's why I like mine so much, although I consider it AC/DC to Black Sabbath.

I wish they'd replace it with the exact same amp, only bigger w/FX loop. "The Giant Terror"
      This time, it should have two octal tube sockets for EL-34's, 6L6, 6V6, an external or self biasing circuit, and be a 30 watter in a larger head box. They'd sell a metric ton of 30W Giant Terrors.
      That sounds like the Dual Terror a bit, minus the FX loop and with different tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
        Interesting video. "First three AC/DC albums and Never Mind the Bollocks, that's what it does."

I guess that's why I like mine so much, although I consider it AC/DC to Black Sabbath.

I wish they'd replace it with the exact same amp, only bigger w/FX loop. "The Giant Terror"
        This time, it should have two octal tube sockets for EL-34's, 6L6, 6V6, an external or self biasing circuit, and be a 30 watter in a larger head box. They'd sell a metric ton of 30W Giant Terrors.
        Except that'd be an uphill battle from the get go. What made the Tiny Terror what it was is the simplicity. As soon as you start changing specs like that, it is no longer near the same amp. To have an FX loop that doesn't drastically alter the tone is a challenge - it requires a lot of planning for the buffer, deciding if a parallel or serial loop would be the most optimal, etc. That'd go against the premise of the TT - a simple amp to get a compressed respose and distorted sound from the power section at low volumes. Replacing the EL84s with any of the larger, higher max-wattage tubes will also increase the headroom - which may not be a good idea since the amp's only gain stage is V1 (the circuit utilizes the first half of the 12AX7 before its minimal EQ, then goes into its only other gain stage after the EQ). V2 is the phase inverter, so there's not a whole lot of preamp gain on tap. The minimal EQ is also still "needed", as it cuts extreme lows that the stock output transformer wouldn't be able to handle. The OT and PT are usually the most expensive parts on the amp, and you can't really cut costs too much on the PT (because your amp obviously needs a good power source to work) so cost cutting usually happens on the OT calling for smaller, less robust units. When you change to higher power tubes as well, you need to change both the power and output transformers to correspond to the completely new power section (first, delivering the different voltages required for different tubes, then being able to output the different RMS wattage). They'd probably need to add another gain stage in the preamp, revoice the "minimal" EQ, complicate the circuit even further with a well-designed FX loop, re-design the power section, change out the transformers. At - this point - it isn't even a Tiny Terror and the production cost is way higher (more thought required to design, more parts, more labor to manufacture, more expensive parts to accommodate the new design), but it'd be an awesome amp - because you described the already existing Orange TH100.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
          Except that'd be an uphill battle from the get go. What made the Tiny Terror what it was is the simplicity. As soon as you start changing specs like that, it is no longer near the same amp. To have an FX loop that doesn't drastically alter the tone is a challenge - it requires a lot of planning for the buffer, deciding if a parallel or serial loop would be the most optimal, etc. That'd go against the premise of the TT - a simple amp to get a compressed respose and distorted sound from the power section at low volumes. Replacing the EL84s with any of the larger, higher max-wattage tubes will also increase the headroom - which may not be a good idea since the amp's only gain stage is V1 (the circuit utilizes the first half of the 12AX7 before its minimal EQ, then goes into its only other gain stage after the EQ). V2 is the phase inverter, so there's not a whole lot of preamp gain on tap. The minimal EQ is also still "needed", as it cuts extreme lows that the stock output transformer wouldn't be able to handle. The OT and PT are usually the most expensive parts on the amp, and you can't really cut costs too much on the PT (because your amp obviously needs a good power source to work) so cost cutting usually happens on the OT calling for smaller, less robust units. When you change to higher power tubes as well, you need to change both the power and output transformers to correspond to the completely new power section (first, delivering the different voltages required for different tubes, then being able to output the different RMS wattage). They'd probably need to add another gain stage in the preamp, revoice the "minimal" EQ, complicate the circuit even further with a well-designed FX loop, re-design the power section, change out the transformers. At - this point - it isn't even a Tiny Terror and the production cost is way higher (more thought required to design, more parts, more labor to manufacture, more expensive parts to accommodate the new design), but it'd be an awesome amp - because you described the already existing Orange TH100.
          I'll be damned, even has a 35 watt mode.

Comment

At least they're real simple circuits - easy to make yourself if you want one since they're discontinued. The parts are out there.

Comment

makes no sense they are discontinuing it. ??? sales figures have to be staggering. If it was a turkey, they wouldnt have come out the 100 or so different versions of it.
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I'm really surprised that they are discontinuing it. I assumed it was their best selling amp. I wonder if the Dark Terror started eating into it's sales? I expect them to come out with a replacement sooner rather than later, maybe a Tiny Terror II or even just a reissue of the original.
                "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by Cdwillis View Post
                  I'm really surprised that they are discontinuing it. I assumed it was their best selling amp. I wonder if the Dark Terror started eating into it's sales? I expect them to come out with a replacement sooner rather than later, maybe a Tiny Terror II or even just a reissue of the original.
                  Introducing the Triple T! Tiny Terror Two.. The original tiny terror you know and love,with second generation graphics!
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                  X