Impedance Question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impedance Question....

Okay, so my Marshall DSL40 has 3 speaker jacks in back of it. One of them is a 16ohm port that the stock speaker in the combo plugs into & it also has 2 8ohm jacks. As best as I can tell from the manual, when the 16ohm port is in use the two 8 ohm jacks can not be used. From what I gathered the only way you can use the two 8ohm ports is to either run one 8ohm cabinet into one of the jacks or run two 16ohm cabinets together into both, one 16ohm cabinet plugged into each 8ohm jack? That's actually part of the question, I'm not 100% sure about that?

So my other question is this- I've got a 2X12 cabinet that's 16ohm mono & the stock speaker is also 16ohms. Could I plug in the 2X12 & stock speaker into each of the 8ohm ports essentially giving me a 3X12 without having any adverse effects?

Basically I want to be able to run both the stock speaker and the 2X12 at the same time & I'm hoping someone on here can tell me if my information is correct and whether or not I can run it this way safely...
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: Impedance Question....

Just from looking at the manual .... When there is a connection to the 16 ohm jack , the two 8 ohm jacks don't work.
    Minimum impedance is 8 ohms. The jacks are wired in parallel. So if you have two 16 ohm cabinets, you can plug each into one of the 8 ohm jacks (you'd have to unplug the amps speaker). One 16 ohm cabinet could be plugged into the 16 ohm jack if you disconnected the stock speaker. One 8 ohm cabinet could be plugged into one 8 ohm jack (again, if you unplug the stock speaker).
    So yes, you would be able to plug the stock speaker into one of the 8 ohm jacks and a separate 16 ohm cabinet into the other 8 ohm jack. That would present the minimum 8 ohm load to the amp.

Comment

Re: Impedance Question....

yup, you should be fine with two 16 ohm cabs into the two 8 ohm jacks

Comment

Working...
      X