Should I get a micro terror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a micro terror?

Hey! I practice with my Band, no gig's yet. I have a 4x12 cab and I'm running a Line 6 Spider 3 75 Watt head on it since my last head broke, now I don't have that much money to spend, but do you think the Micro Terror/Micro Dark is worth it for me? Its pretty much the budget I can pay without anything bad happening. I play mostly Metal, Melodic Death and Power Metal and sometimes some crunchy tones. Currently playing a Jackson with a SH-12 in the bridge. I don't use any pedals.
    Will it be loud enough through my 8ohm 4x12 to compete with a drumkit? Whats the difference regular/dark ?

thank you so much for helping!
    cheers
    Last edited by Zarg; 02-06-2016, 11:03 AM.
    My Band: Cyllene

Re: Should I get a micro terror?

Yeah, you should get one. The Dark has more gain and is more versatile. Use it while you save up for a "real" amp and you'll still have the Micro as a backup or for different tones.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I diasgree. The Micro Terror is a great amp, but I don't see it keeping up with a metal band, even atop a 4-12 cabinet. Remember, the MT only puts out about 1/4 the wattage of the Spider 75.

EP's plan of having the MT or MD as a backup to a "real" amp is a good one, but I'm afraid you're going to kill the poor little thing trying to keep up with too-loud rehearsals until the day comes that you can afford a bigger amp.

I'm using my MT mostly at home for practice, and in hotels when I travel on business, for playing along with MP3s on my computer, through headphones. If/when I gig, I'll take it along as a backup. Gigging is a bit more forgiving than rehearsal, because (presumably) there's a PA which can help out in the volume department if the Micro proves lacking. When I gig, we mic the guitars even if we don't need the extra volume, just in case we need to balance the mix. Then again, I'm not playing metal, and my usual amp is a Marshall 18 Watter clone.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

What speakers are in your 4x12? If they are efficient speakers it could be loud enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
          What speakers are in your 4x12? If they are efficient speakers it could be loud enough.
          I haven't looked into it, but the internet says they are Celestion Seventy 80's

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
            I diasgree. The Micro Terror is a great amp, but I don't see it keeping up with a metal band, even atop a 4-12 cabinet. Remember, the MT only puts out about 1/4 the wattage of the Spider 75.

EP's plan of having the MT or MD as a backup to a "real" amp is a good one, but I'm afraid you're going to kill the poor little thing trying to keep up with too-loud rehearsals until the day comes that you can afford a bigger amp.

I'm using my MT mostly at home for practice, and in hotels when I travel on business, for playing along with MP3s on my computer, through headphones. If/when I gig, I'll take it along as a backup. Gigging is a bit more forgiving than rehearsal, because (presumably) there's a PA which can help out in the volume department if the Micro proves lacking. When I gig, we mic the guitars even if we don't need the extra volume, just in case we need to balance the mix. Then again, I'm not playing metal, and my usual amp is a Marshall 18 Watter clone.
            you might be right, we jam pretty loud, with a drumkit, two guitars and a bass, usually I'm running about half the volume on the 75W head

Comment

Lots of people say things like "I don't see it working" in a band setting that i feel like i should emphasize that i CAN and DO use it in a band setting with a loud, heavy rock band and it doesn't slouch. Orange discontinued the Tiny Terror because the Micro is good enough.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I'm going to just take a MT and plug it into the 2x12 cab already at the rehearsal place tonight. I'm not worried it won't be loud enough with the drummer. I don't play Metal though.

I haven't looked into it, but the internet says they are Celestion Seventy 80's
                Celestion says the 70/80s are 98dbs (1 watt at 1 meter)-the same as current Green Back re-issues. Not bad for efficiency. It will be probably be plenty loud. If it was loaded with 100 db + speakers, such as Eminence Red Coat speakers like the Gov'nr and Wizard, it would be noticably more loud though.

Comment

Working...
                X