Need small practice amp to re-gain (ha!) desire to play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need small practice amp to re-gain (ha!) desire to play

One thing I did not anticipate when moving to the US is that apartments' walls are built out of cardboard as a result, I can't play amplified much and didn't have any amps here. I don't mind playing my electric unplugged, but sometimes it's just nice to let a few riffs rip.

Hence I was thinking of getting a practice setup, but the game has changed a lot since I last got a new setup (a VOX VT15 with footswitch I got 4 or so years ago)...
    Ideally, it'd be a pure practice-based rig. I don't gig and don't need a versatile amplifier in that respect.

I do like, however, having at least 4 quality tones: clean, edge of breakup, mid-gain (AC/DC, plexi type) and modern gain. The more tone options the better. I rarely use effects and couldn't care less for most (e.g. delay, chorus), but I do find it nice to occasionally use compression, tremolo or univibe.

I don't need a "12 speaker-sized combo, but eh, if it's what's best out there... I CAN play with headphones, but never got into the habit. Footswitch is much appreciated.
    I don't understand the concept of using a phone or tablet to edit tone; and I'd rather not require a computer connection either since my PC is in my bedroom, the exact place I can't play amplified. So that rules out most of the Line6 stuff which is a bit of a shame, the Firehawk board looks pretty nice. So does the Helix but that's hardly a practice rig!

I have a couple of ideas... but would rather ask you guys for un-biased opinions. Show me your ideas!

Thanks!

Re: Need small practice amp to re-gain (ha!) desire to play

I finally had the chance to mess around with the Yamaha THR10 this weekend. That might work for you.

Comment

Perhaps a Vox Valvetronix?

Awesome small amps, perfect for apartments and get all of the tones you mentioned.

Comment

With that kind of appartment, it's gonna be more about your Neighbors than anything else. I had Neighbors who were cool with me playing through an amp at what were "reasonable" levels, while others lodged complains for smoothly finger-picked acoustic.

I have a 1W blackheart killer ant and, thought a 12", it was too loud still to push into overdrive. Still took pedals well though so it worked out good nonetheless.

I'll be honest here, while we like our amplified guitars to be heard, there are very few amps that would've worked out fine in most of my former appartment living situations. People who say their 5/20/50W tube amps work for appartment building either have great soundproofing, amazing Neighbors or like the tone of their amps when the volume's lower than low. SS or modelers are better but, in many situations, hearing the amp at normal TV levels is still not going to be satisfying for most of us.

If modelers (Pocket pod/iPod-phone apps) with headphones would've been available back then, that's all I would've used at home and kept an amp for band gigs and rehearsals OUT of the appt.

My humble opinion.

Comment

A lot of it comes down to budget. If price is no concern, an Axe FXII, foot controller, & decent studio monitors or headphones is the way to go. If that's too expensive or complicated, some sort of small modeling amp is the next best bet.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I use a Marshall MG10CD, and you can get one of those used just about anywhere for $30-50. Got mine for $25 on Craigslist. It's a very simplistic, 10W amp with a clean and a drive channel and a 6.5" speaker. Sold new today are the Marshall MG10CF's, which as far as I can tell are not different at all except for looks, as well as the fact that they have 3.5mm output jacks for speakers and headphones, whereas the older ones use 1/4" jacks. I really like the sound that mine puts out, I think it's just exactly right for me, so I like having the 1/4" output jack so I can plug it into some bigger speakers. Input is of course one 1/4" jack.

Now keep this in mind, if you should use the output jacks for anything. (I had this confusion a bit ago when I tried to plug my Marshall into a pocket studio recording device.) If you use the headphone jack, the signal will come out EXTREMELY quiet, and the amp's speaker will be bypassed. That makes good sense, because if you're using headphones, you don't want to give yourself a brainpan with the full power of the amp. If you use the speaker output, the full volume range of the amp will be used, and the amp's speaker will still be active. I don't know what would happen if you tried to put headphones in that, but I can't imagine it would be a great idea. All that to say: If you're trying to use one of the output jacks for recording or bigger speakers and it's too quiet, use the other jack. The more you know.

Happy hunting!
            - the Aeronought

Comment

For $100, a Line 6 Spider 15 watt isn't bad.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Check out the Roland Cube Lite. I posted a review for it in the reviews thread at the top of the page and included a demo vid w/ Richie Kotzen. Great for low volume playing and can double as a stereo for your iPod.

Comment

Recently seen on a T-shirt:

MY NEIGHBOURS LISTEN TO GREAT MUSIC.
                  WHETHER THEY LIKE IT OR NOT.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

For apartment practice at all hours nothing beats iOS amplitube and jam up pro for me. It's my primary go to for practice because I'm rarely home to practice at normal loud hours - say before 8pm which I use as my amp cutoff

Comment

Used Blues Junior and pedals, maybe.

Comment

Roland Cubes are pretty great

Lil Night Train

Valvetronix

Micro Terror but definitely avoid the factory cab

The Yamaha Desktop amps are pretty neat but over effected
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Cube 30 and some headphones
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Someone in Seattle needs to buy this Fender Super Champ XD that comes with a Fender Squire strat for $150. Sell the guitar for $50 and you have a fantastic practice/ small gig amp for $100.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/5438811470.html

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                              For apartment practice at all hours nothing beats iOS amplitube and jam up pro for me. It's my primary go to for practice because I'm rarely home to practice at normal loud hours - say before 8pm which I use as my amp cutoff
                              Also, believe it or not, you can have quite a bit of fun with iOS Garage Band.

Roland Cubes do alright, I've got one. Ridiculously quiet, but that's alright.

Blues Juniors are nice and small, but still expensive. For the price, I'd rather take it up a notch and go with the Hot Rod.

Comment

Working...
                              X