Speaker Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Size

Question: What does the speaker size and/or number of speakers matter? If you have one head of a certain, unspecified wattage, what would be the difference in the sound if I put the head on a 112, 212, or 410 cabinet (seperately, not all three together).

My case is that I want to buy a Fender Hot Rod. You know, months, possibly years down the road when I have the money. I think I want something with more power than the Junior models, so I'm just looking at the Deluxe and the DeVille. Now I know that these amps have different wattages (Deluxe 40W, DeVille 60W), but I'm not as concerned with that right now, I'm just curious about the speakers. The Deluxe has one 12" speaker, but the Deville comes in a 212 and a 410 variety. So assuming hypothetically that the DeVille has a bias switch that can set it back to 40W with the Deluxe, how will they sound different?

Then, as a synthesis question, say I got a Deluxe 112 and put it on top of a 410 cabinet, just 'cus it looked cool that way. What would that sound like?

I realize I really need to go to Guitar Center and try them out myself, but I'd feel bad about going in there and trying out there stuff hardcore (I almost always play with a fuzz pedal on, so I'd have to bring that with to get an accurate feel for the sound), and then leaving without buying anything - I'll wait until I have the money and I can buy what I play with.

Re: Speaker Size

you cant dial a deville back to a deluxe without changing components. the preamps are similar but the power sections are different.

1x12 sounds different than 2x12 or 4x12 or 2x10 or 4x10. open back and closed back sound different as well. there is a huge variety of 12" guitar speakers out there covering a wide range of different tones.

comparing a 1x12 hrdeluxe to a 2x12 hrdeluxe, the 2x12 would sound bigger with more bottom

Comment

I use to have a Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and currently own a Blues Jr. and Hot Rod Deluxe, both 1x12s and 18 watts and 40 watts respectively.

The DeVille is a very loud and powerful amp! I found it to be just way too much for my needs. The Hot Rod Deluxe works very well for medium to large size gigs, and at times is a little too much for my needs. The Blues Jr. is perfect for my apartment. To me, I've found that 1x12 is my preference for a combo amp.

I would suggest trying out different combos to see what you prefer. And size does not equal power, the Gallien Krueger 25ML houses 6.5" speakers but punches 100 Watts and can power a 4x12 if need be
      Last edited by treyhaislip; 02-10-2016, 02:18 PM. Reason: Deville not Devilee lol

Comment

Focus and optimal listening distance changes as well, going by what I found working at a small venue in Leicester Square at least.
        My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

I know I can't dial back a Deville to 40W - that's why it was a hypothetical situation. Good to know that about the DeVille, though - which one did you have, the 212 or the 410? Also good to know about the Gallien Krueger. I don't think I want as much as a hundred watts, but I should check out some of their other things.

I figured I'd want to stick with a 1x12. I've got a 25W bass amp that's got a 12" speaker and it's more than enough for my little house. I'm still curious about the effects of four 10" speakers versus one or two 12" speakers. Obviously twelve-inchers deliver a bigger sound, but would a greater quantity of ten-inchers give you a stronger high end with a similar all around output?

Thanks for your input, Davii. Do bigger speakers let the sound travel farther?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by theAeronought View Post
            Good to know that about the DeVille, though - which one did you have, the 212 or the 410?
            I had the 2x12 version...was super heavy and rattled all of the windows in my house lol I had traded a Highway 1 Strat for that amp, ended up trading it back to the dude. lol

Also good to know about the Gallien Krueger. I don't think I want as much as a hundred watts, but I should check out some of their other things.
            That lil Gallien Krueger is a tone monster! I believe Iron Maiden used the 250 ML for a while. It had the best distortion sound (distortion as apposed to overdrive) out of any amp I've ever used. Shocked people's word how much power was in the little "lunch box" lol

I figured I'd want to stick with a 1x12. I've got a 25W bass amp that's got a 12" speaker and it's more than enough for my little house. I'm still curious about the effects of four 10" speakers versus one or two 12" speakers. Obviously twelve-inchers deliver a bigger sound, but would a greater quantity of ten-inchers give you a stronger high end with a similar all around output?
            I've only used 4x12 cabs, but here is a thread about 4x10 vs 4x12.

Comment

From what is admittedly limited knowledge on the subject, my understanding of it is larger diameter speakers are better at reproducing lower frequencies. What the number of speakers of a particular size equates to I couldn't say. The venue I mentioned had Marshall 4x12s (no idea what type they were loaded with), which seemed to focus a lot further out than 1x12s/2x12s. The latter were more workable the bigger the crowd, especially on stage where they could be raised up more easily. That's just speaking on that venue mind you, and I'm no expert on the subject for sure!

I used to have a HR Deluxe. Best clean sound I've ever had, and easy to transport.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                I've only used 4x12 cabs, but here is a thread about 4x10 vs 4x12.
                Looks like hardly anybody likes the 4x10s vs the 4x12s. That's alright, I actually have two cheapie 12" speakers from an old surround sound set that I think I'll put in a big open back enclosure.

Comment

Looks like hardly anybody likes the 4x10s vs the 4x12s. That's alright, I actually have two cheapie 12" speakers from an old surround sound set that I think I'll put in a big open back enclosure.
                  I've never met anyone who was a fan of the 4x10...I've never played one either.

Line 6 PODS among other processors offer cab simulations and I always preferred the 1x8, 1x12, and 4x12 settings on it...but that is really not a good way to judge an actual combo amp.

Comment

Bassmans are/were 4x10, weren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Davii View Post
                      Bassmans are/were 4x10, weren't they?
                      I believe you are right, but some were heads and I'm not sure what all they've been driven through.

Bassmans sure sound good from guys that I've heard, but I've never tried one.

Comment

A friend had one, but I can't for the life of me remember what it sounded like in rehearsals!

Comment

the classic narrow panel tweed bassman was 4x10 open back combo. once bassmans moved to blonde they went to a head/cab with 12" speakers. very different sounding amps. the earlier wide panel and tv front bassmans were 1x15

4x10's can be a great sound but many people compare an open back 4x10 combo to a closed back 4x12 combo and assume the reason they like it better is the 12" speakers when it might be the closed back vs open back.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                            I've never met anyone who was a fan of the 4x10...I've never played one either.
                            My Super is a 4x10, and I'm a huge fan. It makes for a lot of punchy volume.
                            Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 02-10-2016, 05:27 PM.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

i love a good super reverb!

Comment

Working...
                              X