X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speaker Size

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    i love a good super reverb!
    I'm completely in love with this one. I'm looking forward to the family being gone for a few hours so I can really open it up.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

2x12 Combos are heavy as **** and a pain to move around. 1x12 is much preferable. The HRD is a great amp for most gigging situations. I used one for a few years before switching to a Mesa DC-5 (which was also heavy as **** despite being a 1x12).

I'm currently using a Super Sonic Twin (100 watt, 2x12), and if I'm not playing my pedal steel, it's over kill for every gig I play. I'll be getting a new 20 watt, 1x12 combo very soon.
      Go Packers!

Comment

I'm still curious about the effects of four 10" speakers versus one or two 12" speakers. Obviously twelve-inchers deliver a bigger sound, but would a greater quantity of ten-inchers give you a stronger high end with a similar all around output?
        With 10" speakers the cone can respond faster because of the lower mass. This quicker response helps keep the low end tighter and less flabby. 10" speakers do have less low end though, but many bass cabs are 4x10 because they don't fart out the lowest frequencies by substituting the 5th harmonic for the fundamental note.

The Super Reverb and the Tweed Bassman are good examples of 4x10s used for guitar.

10" speakers are usually less efficient than a corresponding 12". Speaker efficiency is usually more important than the wattage rating to how loud an amp is. One advantage of less efficient speakers is that one can push the amp a little harder before things get too loud.

Comment

Good stuff! So do you think one 112 combo amp will do the trick at a gig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
            2x12 Combos are heavy as **** and a pain to move around. 1x12 is much preferable. The HRD is a great amp for most gigging situations. I used one for a few years before switching to a Mesa DC-5 (which was also heavy as **** despite being a 1x12).

I'm currently using a Super Sonic Twin (100 watt, 2x12), and if I'm not playing my pedal steel, it's over kill for every gig I play. I'll be getting a new 20 watt, 1x12 combo very soon.
            Dude, the DC-5 is one of the best sounding amps I've ever used! Totally under rated/valued/exposed amp! I miss mine but my Hot Rod Deluxe and Blues Jr. fit my playing style better.

And 2x12s are back breakers, even 1x12s like the DC-5 and HRD are as well!

Originally posted by theAeronought View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Depends on the gig Location and acoustics are a huge factor as well as how good (or bad) the venue is setup stage wise.

I've used a 1x12 Combo in all my gigs in the last year or so.

Also depends on your tone–I would start by getting your tone and then translating that to the venue at hand. Most people listening though won't care if you are using a 1x12 or a 4x12 or a processor for that matter.
            Last edited by treyhaislip; 02-11-2016, 07:50 AM. Reason: Didn't finish :D

Comment

the right 1x12 combo will do fine for any gig from a small coffee house to big festival stage. i havent played anything but a 1x12 of some sort at a gig for years

Comment

I have played many gigs using only a 112 combo amp.

Comment

1x12 all the way. It's more then enough for any gig, unless you are playing metal or something.
                  Go Packers!

Comment

even then if you have a closed back cab and a good pa you are fine

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      even then if you have a closed back cab and a good pa you are fine
                      I figured a good PA would make a certain amount of difference for bigger venues.

Alright then, if 112 setups are decidedly the best, what about the Hot Rod Deluxe vs. the Blues Jr? The biggest difference to me is in the wattage - I've played neither, but the amp I play now that I really like is a 10W amp, so the Blues Jr is definitely closer in that respect. What do you guys like?

Comment

Yet again my thoughts and opinions will be at odds with most, but ...

Any single speaker tends to emit a 'ray' of sound, kinda like the beam of light that comes out of a lighthouse. Any combination of speakers tends to give a wider dispersion.

So I've always prefered two 10" speakers over a single 12. They make lack a very small amount of that lower-end of the 12s, but they sit beautifully in a band setting.

I've ended up using two 2 x 10 cabs ... one loaded with a pair of Celestion G10 Greenbacks, and the other with a pair of Celestion 10" Alnicos. The Greenbacks have more low end but are inefficient ... which can be useful, they can act like a mild powerbrake and allow an amp head to work a little more.
                        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

People who love true stereo effects will prefer 2 or more speakers

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                            People who love true stereo effects will prefer 2 or more speakers
                            Well, you do need another amp head as well if you want to run stereo.
                            Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                              Well, you do need another amp head as well if you want to run stereo.
                              Hmm, my pastor had a Roland that you could go out with two speakers and do stereo delay that would go back and forth between both speakers...don't remember the amp nor his setup so I could be wrong on it being the amp itself.

Comment

I figured a good PA would make a certain amount of difference for bigger venues.

Alright then, if 112 setups are decidedly the best, what about the Hot Rod Deluxe vs. the Blues Jr? The biggest difference to me is in the wattage - I've played neither, but the amp I play now that I really like is a 10W amp, so the Blues Jr is definitely closer in that respect. What do you guys like?
                                For my style (basically anything with a basis in country or folk), I prefer a smaller 15-20 watt amp. Something in the 40 watt range would work just as well, but I'd want an extra OD pedal or two to compensate for the higher headroom.
                                Go Packers!

Comment

Working...
                                X